Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Riding Shocks?

My Cars
    93 525i 84 533i
    This is all interesting info. Thanks guys. Really appreciate it. Interesting that Monroe's worked so well - yet to hear that from any BMW owner.

Interesting about the dust covers. Are they a E34 part? Would hope they don't crack or cause noise.They appear like Bilstein B6 dust overs.

Taking a look at the outrageous dealer prices, it could be that possibly extra parts are included maybe. When I purchased a Genuine BMW Radiator (made by Behr, purchased via the dealer) it included the expansion tank. See link for thread in one of my 1st posts. Parts wasn't sure if it came with an tank, so we ordered one. I was happy to see the radiator came with one installed. Sent extra tank back. My understanding with the Bav. Auto and other vendors, the Behr tank must be ordered separately. Keeping this in mind, it's possible that the pricey Genuine BMW Sachs shocks may also come with parts which are not listed, which could justify some of the higher price. Maybe they include upper mounts, bump stops, and dust covers, mounting plates etc. Maybe not. Sadly there is no way to guarantee what will be shipped to the dealer until it gets there. I've read some posts on here saying that non-dealer Sachs will not last as long as the ones that came on the car originally (30-40K mi).

My Cars
    95 540iT/6, W8 Wagon 6sp
    Quote Originally Posted by E28E34 View Post
    Interesting about the dust covers. Are they a E34 part? Would hope they don't crack or cause noise.They appear like Bilstein B6 dust overs.
    Yep, they're an E34 part. If you search the ETK for the Euro version of your car you will find them listed - for the "eastern Europe" version. No noise or cracks on my car after 40,000 kms.

My Cars
    93 525i 84 533i
    Quote Originally Posted by eddycooper View Post
    Yep, they're an E34 part. If you search the ETK for the Euro version of your car you will find them listed - for the "eastern Europe" version. No noise or cracks on my car after 40,000 kms.
    Nice! Good to know.

My Cars
    '89 535i/5, '88 735i/5
    Just to add, in my experience it's the other dust boot (non collapsible one) that makes noise. I changed to this one, no noise. Eibach + Koni setup

My Cars
    93 525i 84 533i
    Quote Originally Posted by cirrusblau View Post
    Just to add, in my experience it's the other dust boot (non collapsible one) that makes noise. I changed to this one, no noise. Eibach + Koni setup
    That makes sense as it's flexible. I was just looking at the length thinking it would be in more constant contact with the shock than the other shorter one. On the E28 it made noise, and eventually some of the dust covers just came down all the time (off the bump stops). I'd push them up every day for like a week, than tried ties to keep them there.... Some stayed then, I don't know, I think those that came down, I just left them. I used to get clicking noises with the old dust covers on the E28.... actually now I remember, I could hear clicking noises in the trunk with it open when pressing on the back end. Just bad luck, shocks from outside vendors - that was way back in 1998. Last time I bought shocks. Shows how apprehensive I am about buying new ones.

On the E34 the Left Rear Bump Stop is 1/2 chewed up/torn and the bump stop is down. Most the noise is coming from the Left Rear overall. Perhaps it's bottomed out too many times, as most the weight sits on that side (driver). Other ones are all up.

I wonder why they didn't just go with the longer dust cover for all markets. Maybe they thought the US is less dirty, or we won't keep our cars as long, or it's just another way to keep the price down on cars sold in the US.

When looking up the longer dust covers even under the Europe version of the car, they only show up under the Self Leveling Device diagrams, with different part numbers than listed earlier.
    Last edited by E28E34; 04-30-2017 at 11:34 AM.

My Cars
    93 525i 84 533i
    Genuine BMW Shocks info from BMW - Interesting bit on testing: https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...&ct=clnk&gl=us
    Last edited by E28E34; 05-17-2017 at 09:05 PM.

My Cars
    2009 BMW 328, 1998 BMW 3
    Another Koni user here. So far, so good!

My Cars
    93 525i 84 533i
    I just remembered something. You're obviously putting some thought in to your shocks and I'll make a recommendation. When I did mine a few years ago I found that in some markets BMW provided full bellows over the front shocks for better protection.

Instead of the normal protection tube (31331134314), which leaves the rod exposed to road debris ... use 31321125878 and 31311132625 instead. I believe this works both on the front and the rear - it did for me at least.

Here is what the full bellows look like:

Thanks all. I have to get front shocks very soon, as the LF is leaking badly.... actually staining the floor.

Regarding Protection Tubes/Boots (dust covers) - above photos..... What does part 31311132625 do? I know it's a ring that apparently attaches to the bottom of the rubber boot (not necessary on standard straight protection tube). But how does it attach and what purpose does it serve? Why is it needed, whereas on the straight protection tube 31331134314, it is not needed.

My Cars
    e30 & e34
    Just a little more input for you if you haven't decided yet on what to get ..

I am on my 3rd e34 and I've used both bilstein sports and koni yellow single adjustable with s combination of 16,17 and 18" factory wheels.

Koni yellow ride quality in my subjective opinion is better than off the shelf bilstein sports for the same chassis . Sports ride good unless you hit a pot hole and then they are very hard, and this was with brand new h&r sport springs.

If you are on 17-18" and want a sporty shock / spring I would recommend koni yellow single adjustables.

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    One more tidbit of input: I was on the phone with someone in Bilstein USA's technical department who told me that Sport (B8) and HD (B6) have identical valving/dampening, and the only difference is that the Sports are shorter, for use with lowering springs. Any discrepancy in ride quality between the two is due to bottoming out on (internal) bump stops.

The same person told me that E32 Bilsteins, at least rears, are actually softer than E34 for the same shock model.

My Cars
    95 540iT/6, W8 Wagon 6sp
    Regarding Protection Tubes/Boots (dust covers) - above photos..... What does part 31311132625 do? I know it's a ring that apparently attaches to the bottom of the rubber boot (not necessary on standard straight protection tube). But how does it attach and what purpose does it serve? Why is it needed, whereas on the straight protection tube 31331134314, it is not needed.
    That white ring holds the bottom of the boot down. The ring sits below the big strut nut. The boot is secured to the ring with a friction fit on the bottom corrugation of the boot. If that white ring isn't present, the boot could ride up on the strut and possibly affect how much protection the boot provides.

My Cars
    2017 M3 6sp
    Why nobody mentioned Sachs/Boge? It's OEM, they ride very comfortable for me.

My Cars
    93 525i 84 533i
    That white ring holds the bottom of the boot down. The ring sits below the big strut nut. The boot is secured to the ring with a friction fit on the bottom corrugation of the boot. If that white ring isn't present, the boot could ride up on the strut and possibly affect how much protection the boot provides.
    Thanks. I hope that little white ring, is strong enough to keep the bottom of the boot held down. Almost looks like it'd work itself loose over time.

Does the ring go around the outside bottom of the boot? Or inside?

Which part number the big Strut Nut? Need a visualization.

I plan on ordering the stock Genuine BMW Shocks ending in part ....283. Normally these boots are not on this car/set-up. I hope the boot and ring will secure ok to this shock. From what I've read the 750iL and some sport suspension E34s had these boots - and they also had different shocks than a normal-spec. 525i. Really hope it will secure properly on these shocks I plan on installing.

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    There are also quite a few aftermarket strut bellows. KYB SB107 fit the rears and come with bump stops; FCP says $15ish and made in the USA. There's also a corresponding KYB kit for the fronts, SB112. EDIT: neither of these KYB kits actually fit my car.

Quote Originally Posted by katit2 View Post
    Why nobody mentioned Sachs/Boge? It's OEM, they ride very comfortable for me.
    It's mentioned earlier in the thread. Apparently non-BMW-branded ones are lower quality than BMW-branded or Bilstein.
    Last edited by moroza; 04-28-2021 at 12:13 AM.

My Cars
    BMW
    Koni's and H&R's are great. Can't say if they're the best but I'm happy with them. They also look cool when new. they have this purple / yellow color combo that looks nice.

My Cars
    2017 M3 6sp
    Quote Originally Posted by prash View Post
    Koni's and H&R's are great. Can't say if they're the best but I'm happy with them. They also look cool when new. they have this purple / yellow color combo that looks nice.
    Yes, looks super cool especially front ones

My Cars
    X5
    H&R/Bilstein is a good combo. It can provide smooth ride and is not too stiff.

My Cars
    95 540iT/6, W8 Wagon 6sp
    Thanks. I hope that little white ring, is strong enough to keep the bottom of the boot held down. Almost looks like it'd work itself loose over time.

Does the ring go around the outside bottom of the boot? Or inside?

Which part number the big Strut Nut? Need a visualization.
    The the boot fits over the white ring. It's a very tight fit, but still just a friction fit - I had to use pliers to get the boot down over the ring. I've had those struts in the pictures on my car for maybe 4 years and no issues yet. The bit strut nut is 31321129196; the white ring slips on to the strut tube before the strut is fastened down with that nut.

In general, on the topic of front struts, I highly recommend the OEM (Sachs/Boge) sport front struts, part number 31321138833. On my 540i I went from Bilstein struts to those OEM ones and it was a huge improvement for me - the Bilstein ones were really crashy over big bumps. The OEM sport struts are Sachs 312392 and they are available from Rock Auto for $95 each.

My Cars
    2017 M3 6sp
    The OEM sport struts are Sachs 312392 and they are available from Rock Auto for $95 each.
    I got them from Rock Auto on sale for $46 each couple month ago. Car rides smoooth. I don't want anything else. When I had E39 I installed Bilsteins + H&R. It was horrible, reinstalled factory sport springs and it was good. But Bilsteins little bumpy. I'm for OE stuff if you want nice smooth ride.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Since part #s are being thrown around here I think it's worth mentioning that there are several different strut mounts and the shock needs to match the mount. There are several threads about this.
    Be careful when ordering

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    93 525i 84 533i
    The the boot fits over the white ring. It's a very tight fit, but still just a friction fit - I had to use pliers to get the boot down over the ring. I've had those struts in the pictures on my car for maybe 4 years and no issues yet. The bit strut nut is 31321129196; the white ring slips on to the strut tube before the strut is fastened down with that nut.

In general, on the topic of front struts, I highly recommend the OEM (Sachs/Boge) sport front struts, part number 31321138833. On my 540i I went from Bilstein struts to those OEM ones and it was a huge improvement for me - the Bilstein ones were really crashy over big bumps. The OEM sport struts are Sachs 312392 and they are available from Rock Auto for $95 each.
    Thanks guys. Eddycooper: thanks for the clarification. I did find this post about changing Front Shocks on a E32 750iL. Great photos. About 60-75% down on this page, there are a few pictures showing that white plastic ring to hold-down the Collapsable dust-cover boot. Apparently this type was standard on the 750 as this was the first time this owner changed his shocks. I can see in the photos, the ring would have to be installed, once the old shock is pulled out of the Strut tube. Note, he recommends adding 1 Fl. Oz. of Motor Oil to each Strut Tube to reduce noise. Then install the ring over the top section of the Strut Tube, then slide shock insert into Strut Tube and install the thread/collar sitting just above the ring. So since the ring sits on the Strut Tube (not shock as I 1st thought) it should fit most E34s as most share the same Strut Housing (not shock). Plus the bump stop should be the same on most E34s (I think) and that's where the top of the protection boot or tube (dust cover) attaches to (slides over). So I should be good I hope.

Excellent Photos and description of installing shocks on E32 750iL (similar to the E34):
    http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/46622

Good to know about fitting and years in use. Thanks.

The 833 shocks interestingly are more costly. Thanks for the info. on rough riding Bilsteins. I'm pretty set on splurging for Genuine BMW 283s - don't want a sport ride of any sort on this car. Drove and handled superbly back in `09 with 97K mi. on 283s. Now it's rough and leans a lot now at 169K mi. Had bad luck with non-Genuine BMW Boges back in `98 on my E28 533i.

Ross1: Thanks, good point. I am choosing all stock parts for my stock 525i based on vin via my dealer. Getting a descent discount too. Only side-step is going to be getting the better, longer collapsible dust boots and ring to secure - not coming up under my vin. Otherwise getting compatible upper mounts, washers, nuts, spring pads, bump stops, bolts etc.

Can't afford to do rear shocks until the Fall. I hear they rarely fail like the fronts do.
    Last edited by E28E34; 01-19-2018 at 06:34 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12