Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Riding Shocks?

My Cars
    93 525i 84 533i

Best Riding Shocks?

My `93 525i could use some new shocks in time. The car is stock with 161,000 mi. currently. Original springs. Front shocks replaced by BMW around 80,000 mi. No leaks from shocks, bouncing when pushing down on corners of car. It is not riding as nice as it used to when purchased at 94,000 mi. It bangs over holes and bumps in the road much like my E28 did. It's also getting a bit noisier as a result when hitting bumps. It leans more in the turns than it used to as well. When braking light to moderately, the ABS activates on manhole covers and larger bumps more than before. I like sporty driving on occasion and have tracked this car several times - but don't intend to anymore. It's a daily-driver.

What is the best riding shocks to buy? Superior dampening and ride quality rank highest. I don't plan on replacing springs as that will just add to more expense and hear it's not critical. I like the car stock, ride height etc.

Often, I hear Bilstein HDs are most recommended for stock springs/ride height. Been reading this in Roundel, BMW Car Club magazine, for well over a decade. I've read Bilstein in general, make shocks that last longest, reduce suspension wear the most etc. They are also known for superior dampening qualities.

When I replaced the shocks on my `84 533i I was disappointed. That was back in 1999, at 130,000 mi. I purchased Boge Gas Shocks from Bav Auto, as they were the same manufacturer BMW used for the car when new. The car slammed over larger bumps and holes not much better than the original ones - I thought maybe I should have splurged for the pricier Bilstein HDs or Comfort shocks (discontinued). Or maybe I should have bought shocks from the dealer - which may have been Boges of a higher quality - as can be the case when buying Genuine BMW parts even if made by the same manufacturer.

Bilstein, according to Bav. Auto now call them B4 and B6. B4 is similar to stock, and B6 are the HDs. Sachs I suspect is what Boge was. Then there are Genuine BMW Shocks - of which, when looking under Real OEM, there are like 6 different types listed for a `93 525i ranging in price from $150 ea. to $400 ea. Very confusing.

I'm resistant to do anything, as I don't want to risk what happened to me before. And now there are more choices than back in 1999, as with my E28.

I'd appreciate your input and help. Thank you.

My Cars
    '94 530iT LSx/T56
    Skip any HD or sport shock if you dont plan to swap out the stock springs. I would suggest the bilstein touring shock as a very good OEM replacement shock. Get new strut mounts while you are at it.
    -Alex

My Cars
    93 525i 84 533i
    Skip HDs due to not installing springs? How come? Will it ride worse? Yes, for the mounts.

My Cars
    '94 530iT LSx/T56
    With the name "heavy duty" comes harshness, which it doesnt sound like you want. I understand the want to regain some stability. With new OEM shocks, you will/should get that. The billy sport is said to be a shorter version of the HD shock/strut designed for a lowering spring. They are said to share to same valving. That said, you can look at the reviews for the way the sports ride. It is all over this subforum, including here:
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-to-ride-rough
    Search for "bilstein sport rough ride". Youll see why i warn you against them when looking for an OEM ride. I personally had bilstein sports on my e34 and i would not recommend them.
    -Alex

My Cars
    95 525, 93 M5, 05 X5 x2
    I have used Bilstein HD on both my E34s (525, M5) both in combination with H&R lowering springs and am pleased with the ride quality. The M5 got only front Bilsteins as I used new SLS shock assemblies for the rear.

Of course, the ride on both was firmer than stock, but that's what I wanted. If a stock, street ride is what you are after then it's best to not experiment and use BMW OE parts. The engineers in Munich are pretty good at their profession!

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    I'm also interested in this question for the same reason. Bilstein HD ride harder than stock. I'd use Boge/Sachs (same company) shocks, but if they're not quite the same as BMW OE... dunno. I'd still try them and then raise hell with the vendor if they aren't satisfactory. I've used Monroe OESpectrum on a bunch of other vehicles and been generally pleased with them. Lifetime warranty helps.

My Cars
    01 M5, 93 M5, 94 525iT
    I recommend going with adjustable Koni Yellow Sport. I have them on my '94 535i Touring with H&R springs and they are money! I have Bilstein and Dinan springs on my '93 M5 and they are too harsh IMO. As soon as they are shot I'll be switching to the Konis.
    Tommy L.

(
    oOO \ (IIII) (IIII) / OOo)

-o- (##########) -o-

2001 BMW M5 LMB
    LHD Euro
    Bilstein PSS, Black Kidneys, Dinan Rear Anti-sway Bar, Matte Black Style 65, UUC SSK w/DSSR, Alpine iLX-007, Alpine MRV-F 340 Amp, Boston Acoustics Pro components, Alpine MRP-M450 Amp, Infinity Kappa 102.7W Sub x2

Current Garage:

1993 BMW M5
    1994 BMW 525i Touring 5spd
    2004 Ford SVT Lightning

My Cars
    E34sx5

Best Riding Shocks?

I have Koni Yellows on my m5. They've got 14k miles on them and I'm really considering taking them out for some Bilstein HDs. Having just put a set on my 540, I'm very pleased and think the m5 could benefit from a set also.

If anybody wants my koni's let me know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    95' 540i6 Supercharged
    95' 540i6 4.7 Stroker
    95' 550i6 M70 Conversion

My Cars
    92 M5
    Bilsten HD/Sports for E34 aren't good because of the poor valving, imo. It's not simply because they're firm--firm dampers can still be relatively comfortable. They're crashy, meaning they're not very good at responding to high-amplitude bumps and imperfections. They do handle really well, but the valving makes the ride quality feel unrefined, cheap.

Koni's are perfect imo. Handles well (though not as well as Bilstein HD/Sport), stock-like comfort.

My Cars
    '91 318is, '93 525iT
    My touring has Bilstein Tourings on it, and they ride extremely well. Unfortunately, they are not stiff enough for the ride height, as they tend to run out of travel quickly. At stock ride height, I would think they would be pretty much perfect.

My Cars
    95 540iT/6, W8 Wagon 6sp
    My touring had Bilstein HDs for the first couple years that I owned it. I went back to the stock "sport" suspension that my car originally came with and I couldn't be happier. The Bilsteins were "crashy" over bumps where they really shouldn't be. It's like the internal bump stops were at the wrong location or something. There are lots of threads here with similar descriptions.

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Quote Originally Posted by NikosX View Post
    I have Koni Yellows on my m5. They've got 14k miles on them and I'm really considering taking them out for some Bilstein HDs. Having just put a set on my 540, I'm very pleased and think the m5 could benefit from a set also.
    +1 for Billy HDs, though I've still not sampled Konis on this chassis (on an E36, Konis were night and day better than any Billy). The valving is supposed to be identical between HD and Sport; it's all anecdotal, but I ran my front HDs on my M5 with both a stock M5 spring and an H&R spring, and in both cases the ride was controlled and taut (not bouncy/jarring).

Honestly for the "best ride" per the OP, the only answer is really OE/OEM. Bilstein Touring is supposed to be close to stock, but I think Koni at the softest setting is still increased valving over stock.
    Last edited by BleedsBlue; 04-20-2017 at 03:39 PM.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

Quote Originally Posted by danespann View Post
    Every E34 needs the same things in the end.

My Cars
    93 525i 84 533i
    Thanks for the replies everyone. All very interesting. My plan is to leave the springs be. Looks like I should avoid HDs. Unfamiliar with using Konis - though I know they've been around for a long time. Bilstein tourings are an idea - but I don't know if they'd be better or worse compared to stock Sachs.

I plan to replace the upper mounts. Should the spring pads be replaced too?

2 of the bump stops look chewed up the last time I looked. Not sure if this is age or the shocks bottoming out. The rears are original at 161,000 mi.

Not sure if dust covers are needed.

Due to not the best luck buying shocks, spring pads, mounts, bump stops and dust overs not from the dealer the last time, I am hesitant to do this again, though the price may be less. Though the parts may be made by the same manufacturer, the BMW roundel put on these parts counts for more than just an increase in price. I've been told by more than 1 source overtime, that for major parts, stick to buying from the dealer. BMW takes the A+ rated parts from the manufacturer and gives their seal of approval as they meet the strict criteria of BMW. Wheras, the rest that vendors sell are more acceptable mass-market parts - comparing same manufacturer parts, like Original BMW Sachs shocks to Sachs Shocks. This was the case when it came time to order my Radiator. I bit the bullet and ordered a BMW-Behr Radiator from Germany.

I can get 15-20% off through the dealer and Maximilian. Haven't called to verify prices yet. This is what I see online so far. Very costly - more than double vs. Bav Auto. - much like the Radiator.

Maximilian Importing:
    $289-633 1 front shock (lots for different versions - not sure why)
    $480 1 rear strut (can't order shock insert apparently)

Real OEM - related to above:
    $234 1 front shock
    $335 1 rear strut (can't order shock insert apparently)

Bav.Auto:
    $78-$100 for Front/Rear Bilstein Tourings and Sachs Shocks each.
    Last edited by E28E34; 04-22-2017 at 04:42 PM.

My Cars
    95 525, 93 M5, 05 X5 x2
    I have always used BMW OE parts. It's never made sense to me to use anything other than genuine BMW, especially on labor intensive work. Why use inferior parts if you are paying over $100/hour to have them installed. Same for DIY; no one enjoys having a do-over on repairs.

As to your question on replacing spring pads, it is such an inexpensive part why risk not using new ones to go with the other, more expensive hardware?

My Cars
    93 525i 84 533i
    Quote Originally Posted by GregT53 View Post
    I have always used BMW OE parts. It's never made sense to me to use anything other than genuine BMW, especially on labor intensive work. Why use inferior parts if you are paying over $100/hour to have them installed. Same for DIY; no one enjoys having a do-over on repairs.

As to your question on replacing spring pads, it is such an inexpensive part why risk not using new ones to go with the other, more expensive hardware?
    Yes, I agree. Though, the price difference is wild. Relative to this, Re: Genuine BMW Parts vs OE Parts, I checked my Radiator post thread from last year. The last poster said his Behr appeared ideantical to my Geniune BMW one minus Roundels. I'm sure the same goes for the shocks too, but it's not always what we see that matters the most I suppose, more of the internals/testing..... https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-vs-Behr/page3
    Last edited by E28E34; 04-22-2017 at 05:18 PM.

My Cars
    95 525, 93 M5, 05 X5 x2
    There are little but important differences. I have learned this over the years while working alongside my friend who is a 40 year+ BMW independent mechanic. I once bought Bosch spark plugs from a well-known, reputable online seller. They were $10 less per plug than from a dealer, a lot! When we proceeded to install them he pointed out that non-BMW Bosch plugs have a universal tip, meaning it has a screw on cap. BMW Bosch plugs are solid tip. What's the big deal? The lower cost plugs' cap can work loose causing arcing. Who knows what else is different internally? So, we got plugs from the dealer. Anyone want six new Bosch plugs for an S38?

My Cars
    2016 640i, 1990 535iM
    Quote Originally Posted by NikosX View Post

If anybody wants my koni's let me know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I will certainly buy the koni''s when you swap!!! I hate by bilstein sport on vogts and now the shocks are blown the ride is like there is not shocks.
    2016 640i Coupe'
    1990 Bmw 535i Turbo 600whp

1999 740iL: Sold
    1997 740i: Crashed and Parted
    1988 535i: Crashed and Parted
    1988 528e: Crashed and parted
    IG- @Rogetta_Stone

My Cars
    I have bilstein tourings sitting on vogtland springs. I replaced everything while I had them apart. Rides nice too. Not harsh or soft. Haven't bottomed the shocks out. I believe fcp euro has the tourings on sale at around $65 each and with the lifetime guarantee, you can't beat it

My Cars
    93 525i 84 533i
    Quote Originally Posted by GregT53 View Post
    There are little but important differences. I have learned this over the years while working alongside my friend who is a 40 year+ BMW independent mechanic. I once bought Bosch spark plugs from a well-known, reputable online seller. They were $10 less per plug than from a dealer, a lot! When we proceeded to install them he pointed out that non-BMW Bosch plugs have a universal tip, meaning it has a screw on cap. BMW Bosch plugs are solid tip. What's the big deal? The lower cost plugs' cap can work loose causing arcing. Who knows what else is different internally? So, we got plugs from the dealer. Anyone want six new Bosch plugs for an S38?
    Amazing that there would be such a difference. One typically thinks, if it's the same manufacturer made for the same model car, same type/version of plug, shock etc., that it should be the same. I wonder if this could be said to comparing Bilstein B4 Touring Shocks to Genuine BMW Sachs Shocks. I would hope the BMW ones would be better quality for being far more costly.

My Cars
    E34 525i
    I like my bilstein HDs with lowering springs. Makes the car drive like a newer bmw and not a plush cadillac. Yes its not the softest ride out there but its not that bad compared to most modern performance cars

My Cars
    '91 318is, '93 525iT
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliescff View Post
    I have bilstein tourings sitting on vogtland springs. I replaced everything while I had them apart. Rides nice too. Not harsh or soft. Haven't bottomed the shocks out. I believe fcp euro has the tourings on sale at around $65 each and with the lifetime guarantee, you can't beat it
    Not sure how you haven't bottomed that setup out... Vogtlands are soft and low, and those shocks are soft. Even with my rather stiffer H&Rs, I've bottomed the fronts out a few times.

My Cars
    93 525i 84 533i
    The dealer gave me a quote for shocks with my discount.... $277 for 1 Front Shock, $430 for 1 Rear Strut. Very costly. Why are the rears so much more?

As said earlier, I had bad luck buying Boges back in `98 for my E28 from a non-dealer vendor, which is why I am leaning towards biting the bullet. Aside from the BMW Roundel and price premium vs. other vendors selling similar Sachs shocks for this car, I would hope there would be higher quality in the Genuine BMW Sachs Shocks from the dealer.

Due to being nearly 4 times more costly, especially for the rears, compared to the non-BMW dealer Sachs, I would guess few have any experience comparing Genuine BMW Sachs Shocks to non-BMW dealer Sachs shocks. If someone does, would love to hear.

How would a Bilstein B4 compare to a Sachs or Genuine BMW Sachs? Not changing springs.

My Cars
    E70 | FZJ100 | Z31
    Back in March of 2008 I took a chance on a set of Monroe shocks for our E39. Replaced all the little bits and pieces along with them and reused the factory sport springs. Was very pleased with the ride—very OEM feel. Still have them on the car—and after almost 10 years and over 100k miles, they are finally due for replacement.

So when we bought our E34 with blown shocks, I went with Monroes again (OESpectrum) paired with the BavAuto springs—this was in August of 2013. Completely transformed the E34 (going from blown to new anything will do that, lol). But, I've been amazed how well they handle and hold up. I just checked my Amazon account and I paid $172 for all four shocks shipped to my door. For daily driver duty, I'd suggest you give them a look.

BTW, both cars always get BMW OE/OEM everything—but with shocks, I just couldn't justify the price of some of the other brands for how we use our cars.

My Cars
    95 540iT/6, W8 Wagon 6sp
    On my car, a 540i with sport suspension, the dealer shock prices are crazy. For example the front strut inserts, part number 31321138833, are over $600 each. With some research I found that the correct Boge part number is 36-E31-A (or Sachs 312 392). I can't say I could guarantee that the ones with the Roundel on them are identical, but they can't be that much different. In my case the Boge/Sachs items are made in Germany.

If there are differences between Genuine and aftermarket items, my guess is that the differences would be small. Such as different anti-corrosion plating specifications or whether it comes with additional mounting hardware. I don't think the internals would be any different - that wouldn't make business sense I don't think.

My Cars
    95 540iT/6, W8 Wagon 6sp
    I just remembered something. You're obviously putting some thought in to your shocks and I'll make a recommendation. When I did mine a few years ago I found that in some markets BMW provided full bellows over the front shocks for better protection.

Instead of the normal protection tube (31331134314), which leaves the rod exposed to road debris ... use 31321125878 and 31311132625 instead. I believe this works both on the front and the rear - it did for me at least.

Here is what the full bellows look like:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast