Thread: Hi there, question for f30 320i 328i Owners

My Cars
    Bmw e39 M5 Bmw e38 730d

Hi there, question for f30 320i 328i Owners

I want to buy a bmw f30, looking for 320i or 328i, can you share some of your thoughts, maybe any common problems? How much mpg or l/100 km do you get with them?

Thanks appreciate the feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '12 BMW 328i Luxury Line
    I can tell you that my 2012 328i (made in Munich, February 14, 2012 build date), which just rolled to 80,000 km, has been 100% faultless! Just routine service.

They only gripe I have is that the cabin air filters cost $150 here in Canada. They only need to be replaced every 24,000 to 48,000 km depending on conditions. So, inspect your cabin air filter before your dealer insists you need a new one, as it may be fine.

Other than the 250hp on tap from the 2.0L 4-cylinder turbo engine (which is quite enough for me, thank you very much!), this car is WAY more fuel efficient than my last "fuel efficient" 2.0L Hyundai Elantra Touring. Basically, I am getting, on average, 950-1000km per tank of gas !!-- and I don't let the tank run dry. From a cost perspective, two $50 top-ups per week. Impressive. However, I am running in "ECO mode" and keeping my revs under 2000 rpm... which is still 100 to 120 km/hr. You can do your own metric to imperial conversion.

Since taking ownership, fuel mileage is averaging 15.1 km/litre (35.5 mpg)... and I have achieved as much as 19.2 km/litre (45.2 mpg) !

Fit and finish is spot on. I am starting to see some usual highway "rash" on the front end, but that is normal wear. I can live with that.

Mine is the "Luxury Line" which also came with a bunch of additional packages ("Premium" and "Executive" packages)... making it fully loaded. The leather and wood trim is very nice, the HK sound system is the best I've ever experienced, the nav system is awesome, the Xenon headlights are excellent, as is the satellite radio.

Power and fuel efficiency is a rare combo, and I wasn't expecting both. If I were to help your choose, get the turbo (328i), as life is short and occasionally selecting "Sport mode" when there's an open stretch of road is a reminder that "life is good"
    Last edited by Kurgan; 05-12-2017 at 07:36 AM.

My Cars
    2017 Range Rover Sport
    My wife has a 2013 328i that was a late 2012 build. Ours is a Sport Line and has also been flawless, though it only has 31,000 miles. Ours is nicely optioned but we left off some things we knew we didn't want (navigation, for instance, since they are out of date the day you take delivery.) Instead we upgraded the leather, the stereo, and the rest of the interior. It's just run out of warranty but the dealer did a full service for us on it prior to the warranty expiring so I haven't had to do much with it yet.

Ours averages about 28 mile/gal in mixed suburban driving, and gets 38-40 mile/gal on the highway. I think whether you get 320i or 328i depends a lot on budget and what you're using it for, but I personally had no interest in the 320i as it's a base model and just seems a bit pedestrian up against a better-optioned car.

My only complaints about the car:

1. Regardless of where you had it set when you turned the car off, it will default back to Comfort mode, and the car feels like a slug in Comfort mode.
    2. The car came with an open differential and it is a massive disappointment. I didn't even think to ask when we ordered the car, because LSD came with Sport package cars forever, but shame on me for not checking. The car is awful in the rain and snow without traction control, and barely acceptable with traction control. Did I mention how much I hate traction control? Probably not. I'll be having a diff built in the future because it bothers me quite a bit.
    3. The second gear synchro (ours is manual) has been a little crunchy from day one if you try to shift fast. I've been double clutching downshifts and pausing upshifts to make sure it lasts. I've got a couple quarts of Redline MTL that I'll be putting in there at the next oil change.
    Shane K.
    '12 Mercedes Benz GL 350
    '13 328i
    '94 325i JS Race

My Cars
    2014 BMW 328i
    I notice this post is 3 Months old, what did you end up purchasing.?

My Cars
    Bmw e39 M5 Bmw e38 730d
    Hi, thanks for the answers, i've been going back an forth with the decision, i made a drive teste with the 328i at a second hand dealer and fell for it, just the one i drove did not have many extras on it, i'm now waiting on a list and checking my mail everyday if i find the right one, made my mind, it will be a 328i, color black/red/blue, with sunroof and a good stereo system, would like to get a sport version but we will see what happens.

Thank you all for the replies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk