Thread: Price check on a 1993 525i

My Cars
    working on it

Price check on a 1993 525i

Hi all,
    This is my first post so I apologize if its in the wrong place.

I just moved back to LA after a few years in NYC and need a car.
    In the past I have driven a couple E30's that I loved, but am now leaning towards something a little comfier like the E34.
    Anywho, I cam across one that is seemingly in really good condition but has 220k miles on it and is priced at $4k. Its also from a seemingly skeezy used car place so Im a bit apprehensive.
    I figured the best knowledge pool would be here.

I would very much appreciate any insights or opinions you may have.
    Thanks!

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Once I saw $4k I was going to say "no" unless the car is EXCEPTIONALLY nice without needs. Then saw skeezy used car place and thought,, why do you even ask?
    There are still some nice E34s out there, $2k or so will buy a pretty decent one, reserve another thou for repairs.
    Do you service your own car? A needy one will destroy you if you pay for service.
    Spend a little time reading here and you'll quickly become acquainted with the car and it's usual woes at this advanced age so you know what to look for. Some homework now will help you select a good one. Jumping into the first overpriced beater will make you sorry and perhaps blame the car.
    They are great when all is right. If your budget is $4k you should be able to acquire and bring up to snuff a pretty nice one, especially in a dry state like CA.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    working on it
    Thank you for the feedback. I was obviously a bit uncertain. I suppose just needed some reassurance haha

My Cars
    95 525, 93 M5, 05 X5 x2
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    If your budget is $4k you should be able to acquire and bring up to snuff a pretty nice one, especially in a dry state like CA.
    Ditto this. Keep searching. I presume you are looking on CL and other local advertising venues. As ross1 mentioned, don't get one that's tired and not well maintained as remedying problems is costly. Not that I mistrust all car dealers, but buying from a long time owner, especially an enthusiast, is usually preferable. Maintenance records are worth their weight in gold as is a pre-purchase inspection. Have you checked the classified section of the BMW Car Club of America? https://www.bmwcca.org/classifieds This is a good place to start, and if you find the right one, it's probably worth travelling a bit to get it. Good luck. Let us know if you find something.

Here's one in CA for $5000 https://www.bmwcca.org/ads/140156
    Last edited by GregT53; 04-20-2017 at 09:14 PM. Reason: add info

My Cars
    working on it
    Thanks! This is a great resource I didnt know of