Thread: Lock/Unlock works but key fob won't start the car

My Cars
    2005 116i

Lock/Unlock works but key fob won't start the car

Hi,

I've searched and searched for similar problems but I can't seem to find a solution so I am posting in hopes of reaching out to anyone who've had the same problem.

But I recently bought a 2005 BMW 1 Series 116i, and two weeks ago my primary key stopped working. It unlocks and locks the car, but when I try to enter it into the slot for the key it doesn't recognize it and I can't get anything done while in the car. It just shows the symbol with the key and the cross line over it.

So I started using my reserve key and last week that also stopped working. So then I was without a car since non of them worked and it was the same problem with both of them. I then right before Easter ordered a new key from my local dealership here in Norway, when I recieved it today and went home to try it, it didn't work. Nothing, didn't even lock/unlock the car, so my question is; do I have to do a procedure with the key to make it work or should it be "Plug'n'play"? And does anyone have an idea what it could be if it doesn't have something to do with the key itself?

(Sorry for my poor english, but it ain't my first language, but hopefully you'll understand what I am trying to ask for).

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    I believe that you have to have the dealer code the key for your car? Is it a standard key or the convenience package key? Also check the battery in the key, they need to be changed from time to time.

-Dmitry
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    2005 116i
    Well! Stupid me did one last attempt at disconnecting the battery... Should've done that a week ago before I ordered a new spare key. But 3 working keys now and 250$ in minus.

But thanks for the input anyways