Thread: Misfiring and possible boost leak situation has me infuriated...

My Cars
    535i

Misfiring and possible boost leak situation has me infuriated...

So I recently purchased a 535i. It had running issues, for the price I figured it would be a simple fix and I'd have made out ok on a good deal.

What it' did: If in drive, anything beyond partial throttle and the car will begin to bog and misfire badly, and from then on continue to do so at idle.

What I then did: Without pulling codes I figured this was was a misfire, I know the condition very well. So I replaced every single coil pack. Upon doing this the car ran perfect for exactly 15 minutes, meaning I could go WOT and everything, no problems. After that, it went back to the misfiring at anything over partial throttle. However...in neutral or park. It will Rev. Freely and not misfire at all. In manual mode? It will Rev freely to a higher point but still bog and misfire.

What I did after this: I attempted to clear the codes. Which I did. Did not change a thing. Same conditions. However after it misses and the idle gets rough again if I cut the car off, then on again it runs fine again.

What then happen: check engine light came back and I pulled the codes again and got this.

And

I know one of these is a code for a turbo/boost leak. I'm stumped as to what I should try next. Checking plugs? Vacuum leak? And to make matters worse today all of a sudden it's leaking oil from somewhere at the bottom as its dripping from the shield.

My Cars
    Injectors are almost always the culprit of misfires on the N54. Change your spark plugs too. They're probably fouled with fuel.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician