Thread: Fuel injector

My Cars
    90 525

Fuel injector

After work today, went to start cold car (sitting for 8 hours after operating temp) and it started, but sounded like it was misfiring until it died.

I restarted the car with wide open throttle and maintained rpm around 2500 - 3000 for about 5-10 seconds and then it idled and drove fine.

I've replaced the FPR, plugs, cam sensor, air filter along with besian vanos seals, valve cover gasket. Cam sensor fixed the injectors batch firing.

Battery voltage was at 12.46v, I will check in the morning after it sits overnight.

I tested the resistance of the injectors as per a diy from the forums, and recall them all within spec, but leaning towards leaking injectors as the last oil change had a smell of gas.

Now on realoem with my vin:FA21211
    my vehicle is a 1995 320i with a Siemens ms40.1 ecu unfortunately.

The part number on the actual vehicle is 1 280 150 414 for the fuel injector but realoem shows it as 13641730036 for ms40 and 13641730059 for Bosch.

My question is, are the injectors on my car different from an e36 with a bosch ECU? Are they interchangeable?

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1500086-DIY-rebuilding-fuel-injectors

Would the rebuild parts on this diy work for my injectors? If not, would an auto parts store have any? Or is online the only way.

And, Does this seem like leaky injectors?
    Last edited by kharv; 04-17-2017 at 11:44 PM.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    No an auto parts store won't have them, but a shop that rebuilds carburetors and injection system would, you can try googling in your area with google maps. I see they are green top injectors, the newer ones on E36's are pink, I forget what the M50 injector tops are, but on ebay their are some of your being sold used, none new, possibly rockauto will have them. The injector kits are cheap on ebay, I've used them before and they are fine, they will be a lot cheaper than a retail store. The only difference that I know of with the kits is that the newer pink injectors get a larger orifice on the pintle caps, It's probably fine to use the larger orifice pintle caps on the older injectors, it will not effect the spray pattern (might be better).

Just checked ebay and I couldn't find any injector rebuild kits, needs more searching.

- - - Updated - - -

If you do rebuild your current injectors, i would go the extra step to clean them out. There are videos on youtube on how to connect a can of compressed solvent to the can to pressurize them and use 12v to actuate the solenoid to flush them out. The how to guide you put in your post is good but his method does not properly flush them.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Coupe
    Have them professionally cleaned. I was amazed at the flow chart when I got mine back, they flowed 40% better and I had one bad injector. My car ran decent, but how would you know if you don't have the proper equipment to flow test them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ()()===[][]===()()

My Cars
    Nil BMWs as of 2020
    It seems there were several iterations of the Siemens MS40.1 used during the production of the M50TU engine on the 320i.
    My '93 uses a 5WK9 002 DME, although I know of other types in existence. As long as you get the same model numbers (MS40.1 and 5WK9 002, for example), no issues swapping DMEs within the same model series (i.e. the 5WKx xxx). I always wonder what it was that possessed BMW to switch to Siemens DME equipment for specific models of the E36. I assume their system is simply a rip-off of the Bosch one anyway, but its wired differently and uses rare and rather expensive sensors.

Back on topic:
    As the 320i was powered by the lowest displacement M50 ever available (2.0L inline 6), it will definitely be using different fuel injectors to other E36's from the same timeframe, which would have been 2.5L engines on the Bosch DME. It would be better to investigate getting your current ones rebuilt, if thats the path you're aiming for.

For the record, I've noticed my 320i will consistently misfire (very rough, lumpy idle) until revved for at time, or taken for a drive after the vehicle is run for only a few moments previously, say to relocate along the driveway. Even if the engine was warm, brief relocations will trigger it. Mine never stalls out, but startup can be a splutter-to-life affair.

Could be worth checking your ICV isn't gummed up badly, the PCV hoses are all clear, and the throttle-body isn't dirty. You've already spent money on the main components, so I think this is a good place to start. After that, I would suggest a fuel filter and spark plugs, and even sourcing good coils (secondhand) if at all possible.
    Last edited by B320i; 04-18-2017 at 09:33 AM.

My Cars
    93 325is
    When you have dirty injector(s) they will spray a straight stream - instead of a conical spray - and flood the affected cylinder(s) the crappy gas they sell these days can make injectors sticky. Most injection systems will sense the lean condition and add more fuel compounding the problem. First thing I do is toss in a bottle of injector cleaner - u pick it - follow directions and it usually does the trick. Takes a bit, but...I do this on my suburban about every ten tanks, and have done this on my e36 twice and it worked both times. If you're really creative, you can add injector cleaner right into the fuel rail, pull the fuel pump relay, and crank it over a bit and let it sit overnight. Cleans out the gummy crap real well.

Quote Originally Posted by B320i View Post
    It seems there were several iterations of the Siemens MS40.1 used during the production of the M50TU engine on the 320i.
    My '93 uses a 5WK9 002 DME, although I know of other types in existence. As long as you get the same model numbers (MS40.1 and 5WK9 002, for example), no issues swapping DMEs within the same model series (i.e. the 5WKx xxx). I always wonder what it was that possessed BMW to switch to Siemens DME equipment for specific models of the E36. I assume their system is simply a rip-off of the Bosch one anyway, but its wired differently and uses rare and rather expensive sensors.

Back on topic:
    As the 320i was powered by the lowest displacement M50 ever available (2.0L inline 6), it will definitely be using different fuel injectors to other E36's from the same timeframe, which would have been 2.5L engines on the Bosch DME. It would be better to investigate getting your current ones rebuilt, if thats the path you're aiming for.

For the record, I've noticed my 320i will consistently misfire (very rough, lumpy idle) until revved for at time, or taken for a drive after the vehicle is run for only a few moments previously, say to relocate along the driveway. Even if the engine was warm, brief relocations will trigger it. Mine never stalls out, but startup can be a splutter-to-life affair.

Could be worth checking your ICV isn't gummed up badly, the PCV hoses are all clear, and the throttle-body isn't dirty. You've already spent money on the main components, so I think this is a good place to start. After that, I would suggest a fuel filter and spark plugs, and even sourcing good coils (secondhand) if at all possible.

My Cars
    90 525
    I forget a lot about this post but I believe it was my fuel pump relay, and when I posted I replaced the fpr it was meant as fuel pressure regulator.

Had the key in the on position but not started with hood opened and heard the relay clicking on and off several times. Thank you all, car is still being driven as a daily today.