Thread: Good idea or bad idea e39 transmission cooler as my engine oil cooler for my LS swap

My Cars
    2 Boosted,1 more left to

Lightbulb Good idea or bad idea e39 transmission cooler as my engine oil cooler for my LS swap

I am looking into doing an oil cooler on my E39 Ls swap and my question to you guys is it a good idea or bad one to use the oem transmission cooler thats upfront as an oil cooler ? Or just get an aftermarket one and run up front by the grill?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by 1NAWTY5; 04-17-2017 at 10:06 PM.

E39 LSX SWAP PARTS FORSALE

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    well, it is made for higher temps and pressures and already nicely integrated so I don't see why not. No need for trans cooler then?

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    2000 “560i”
    I would take a hard look at the fitting sizes and do some research regarding flow. Every aftermarket filter relocation kit I've installed was at least 1/2" I.D. on the hoses and fittings. Obviously a filter relocate kit is different than a fluid cooler but the premise is the same: Is it of sufficient size to flow the volume required? I would hate for you to end up with a oil starvation issue with the cam bearings because the cooler had insufficient flow.

my 2 cents....

S.F.

My Cars
    2 Boosted,1 more left to
    Quote Originally Posted by StolenFox View Post
    I would take a hard look at the fitting sizes and do some research regarding flow. Every aftermarket filter relocation kit I've installed was at least 1/2" I.D. on the hoses and fittings. Obviously a filter relocate kit is different than a fluid cooler but the premise is the same: Is it of sufficient size to flow the volume required? I would hate for you to end up with a oil starvation issue with the cam bearings because the cooler had insufficient flow.

my 2 cents....

S.F.
    Yes thats the two things I was worrying about was the flow and oil starvation thats why I through it out here it anyone did this

E39 LSX SWAP PARTS FORSALE