Thread: Those with a lot of BMW factory transmission knowledge...

My Cars

Those with a lot of BMW factory transmission knowledge...

...so, my transmission is extremely balky and hard to shift. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to rebuild it with the BimmerWorld transmission kit here: http://www.bimmerworld.com/ZF-Transm...epair-Kit.html

My question is more about, what transmissions actually fit the M5x motors? I know the ZF that I have came in both my E36 328 and the M3.

The class I run, I can run the stock gearbox for no weight penalty, +75lbs for "any" syncro-based transmission, or +150lbs for a dog box (sequential is verboten).

Based on other cars I've owned, unless you're willing to take the box out and change gears for the track, the Dog Box is simply not worth the extra weight.

That said, With the short 3.91 gears I run, second gear is damned short in the stock box....

....so, I'm wondering if there's a BMW box that will fit the M52/S52, that has a closer ratio than the stock box, and still keep the 1:1 5th.

Yes I am allowed to make a bellhousing and adapt any transmission, even a close ratio out of a chevy or whatever - but it has to be syncro- based, and I love the 1:1 5th gear.

Any suggestions?

THANKS!

PS - I will probably just buy the DiffsOnline REM'd stock box, and live with the short 2nd - but I don't have the money yet and at $4K I am definitely shopping around first anyway.
    Last edited by CoMZ302; 04-17-2017 at 09:18 AM.
    2002 BMW M Roaster.
    1998 BMW 328is SCCA E Production road racer.

My Cars
    88 E30 M3 S65
    Thought about a drive gear rebuilt gearbox?
    It's not speed that kills, it's the speed difference that does. Obviously you aren't going fast enough.

Turning Benjamins into noise since 1997

I read a list of the 100 things you MUST do before you die. Funny, "Yelling 'HELP'" didn't make the list!

My Cars
    What is that?
    2002 BMW M Roaster.

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    Quote Originally Posted by CoMZ302 View Post
    ...so, my transmission is extremely balky and hard to shift. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to rebuild it with the BimmerWorld transmission kit here: http://www.bimmerworld.com/ZF-Transm...epair-Kit.html

My question is more about, what transmissions actually fit the M5x motors? I know the ZF that I have came in both my E36 328 and the M3.

The class I run, I can run the stock gearbox for no weight penalty, +75lbs for "any" syncro-based transmission, or +150lbs for a dog box (sequential is verboten).

Based on other cars I've owned, unless you're willing to take the box out and change gears for the track, the Dog Box is simply not worth the extra weight.

That said, With the short 3.91 gears I run, second gear is damned short in the stock box....

....so, I'm wondering if there's a BMW box that will fit the M52/S52, that has a closer ratio than the stock box, and still keep the 1:1 5th.

Yes I am allowed to make a bellhousing and adapt any transmission, even a close ratio out of a chevy or whatever - but it has to be syncro- based, and I love the 1:1 5th gear.

Any suggestions?

THANKS!

PS - I will probably just buy the DiffsOnline REM'd stock box, and live with the short 2nd - but I don't have the money yet and at $4K I am definitely shopping around first anyway.
    Waste of $ if you ask me ... I love the Diffsonline stuff, but the ZF tranny is pretty good as is, and you can get a dozen used ones for the cost of a single REM box. Unless you're changing the gears, I would not bother.
    Check out the 8legs Racing page: https://www.facebook.com/8legsRacing/

My Cars
    That tranny is a ton of money, but if it really gives 6-10hp I have to think about it... while I know I have to fix the tranny anyway.
    2002 BMW M Roaster.

My Cars
    88 E30 M3 S65
    It's not speed that kills, it's the speed difference that does. Obviously you aren't going fast enough.

Turning Benjamins into noise since 1997

I read a list of the 100 things you MUST do before you die. Funny, "Yelling 'HELP'" didn't make the list!

My Cars
    what's the cost to rebuild a ZF?
    2002 BMW M Roaster.

My Cars
    98 M3 sedan
    Might just need new clutch master and slave cylinders.
    98 M3 sedan

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4bama View Post
    Might just need new clutch master and slave cylinders.
    Good thought - I'll take a look.

- - - Updated - - -

FYI the rebuild cost was about $1950 with shipping.
    2002 BMW M Roaster.

NeilM is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    Quote Originally Posted by CoMZ302 View Post
    ...so, my transmission is extremely balky and hard to shift. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to rebuild it with the BimmerWorld transmission kit here: http://www.bimmerworld.com/ZF-Transm...epair-Kit.html.
    OK wait a minute. That's the detent kit to fix the manufacturing issue on a certain build range of transmissions where excessive friction would prevent normal gear selector self-centering into the 3-4 plane. It has nothing to do with balky shifting, unless what you really meant is that the gear lever doesn't return to its normal resting position.

If your gearbox is generally reluctant to release and engage gears then the normal issue would be failure of the clutch to release fully. Causes could be improper bleeding of the clutch hydraulic circuit, or failure of the clutch master or slave cylinders or the throwout bearing. You could also have some kind of shift linkage issue. Or of course your transmission is actually lunched.

Neil
    Last edited by NeilM; 04-27-2017 at 10:06 AM.

My Cars
    Yup, I understand that now - you saw my other thread on the Pressure Plate issue.
    2002 BMW M Roaster.

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilM View Post
    OK wait a minute. That's the detent kit to fix the manufacturing issue on a certain build range of transmissions where excessive friction would prevent normal gear selector self-centering into the 3-4 plane. It has nothing to do with balky shifting, unless what you really meant is that the gear lever doesn't return to its normal resting position.

If your gearbox is generally reluctant to release and engage gears then the normal issue would be failure of the clutch to release fully. Causes could be improper bleeding of the clutch hydraulic circuit, or failure of the clutch master or slave cylinders or the throwout bearing. You could also have some kind of shift linkage issue. Or of course your transmission is actually lunched.

Neil
    That kit is both the self-centering problem and the detent pins for the selector forks which can cause shifting problems. They replaced the original ZF pins with a slightly smaller pin and a teflon coated bushing.

Not saying it's his problem, but there are ZFs that are hard to shift because the selector fork pins can jam.

My Cars
    2001 MCoupe
    Quote Originally Posted by gobuffs View Post
    I went with theirs late last year and have had good luck with it. Wasn't having much luck finding a used ZF with <100K miles on it, and didn't want to swap in a questionable unit and have it show the same issues that I was trying to fix.

Andrew's rebuilt unit shifts smooth, no more fighting worn synchros on the 4-3 downshift, and it even had all the shift pin and detent work done too. For about half the cost of a factory rebuild, it was worth the wait.
    2001 Steel Gray MCoupe - 147,000 miles and owned since new. MCS 2WNR suspension, Hotchkiss swaybar, poly bushings all around, cat delete headers with custom tune, 3.73 LSD, and Clownshoe Motorsports rear subframe reinforcement.

2014 Porsche Cayman S / 2022 BMW X3M Competition / 2020 Ram Rebel