Thread: 2011 335d transmission service questions...

My Cars
    2011 BMW 335d

2011 335d transmission service questions...

Posting this as a separate thread to an earlier post regarding service fees quoted by BMW of Portland. Their quote for transmission service was nearly $1400 so I declined. Thinking of getting it done locally but buying the correct OEM parts myself. I have notice when looking up transmission oil change kits that a new pan is included with some of the kit. What is the deal with that?

My Cars
    2006 325xi Sportwagon
    Not sure whether your car uses the GM transmission or the ZF transmission. But if it has a metal pan it is a GM. If it has a plastic pan it is a ZF.

The pan contains the filter. The plastic pans do develop leaks over time, and I have not always been successful at being able to stop leaks at the pan gasket by retightening the bolts. But replacing the pan stops the leaks.

If you have a ZF, use only ZF fluid in it. It is pricey, but replacing the transmission will cost $3500 to $5500. So don't risk it. A ZF drain and fill will require about 7 liters of fluid. Note that it means there is a lot of fluid left behind in the transmission cooler and piping. So you do not want to mix in some unknown transmission fluid.

Have you checked www.ecstuning.com for parts?

My Cars
    335d, 328xd (had 330xi)
    Quote Originally Posted by chronodeco View Post
    Posting this as a separate thread to an earlier post regarding service fees quoted by BMW of Portland. Their quote for transmission service was nearly $1400 so I declined. Thinking of getting it done locally but buying the correct OEM parts myself. I have notice when looking up transmission oil change kits that a new pan is included with some of the kit. What is the deal with that?
    FYI to Chochise, all E90/E70 diesels have the ZF6HP25 transmission.

They take 7 liters (9 if a flush is done), at around $25/liter. The filter is in the pan - they're essentially a single unit. There is no drain plug, so you have to remove the pan anyway.

You probably also want to replace the mechatronic sleeve, which is pretty inexpensive.

My indy charged me $782.41 for the transmission flush, which included the pan/filter and fluid but not the mechatronic (which was in good shape.)

My Cars
    2011 BMW 335d

Thanks for your input...

Quote Originally Posted by floydr View Post
    FYI to Chochise, all E90/E70 diesels have the ZF6HP25 transmission.

They take 7 liters (9 if a flush is done), at around $25/liter. The filter is in the pan - they're essentially a single unit. There is no drain plug, so you have to remove the pan anyway.

You probably also want to replace the mechatronic sleeve, which is pretty inexpensive.

My indy charged me $782.41 for the transmission flush, which included the pan/filter and fluid but not the mechatronic (which was in good shape.)
    Thanks to both of your for your help. A plastic pan (a questionable idea to start with) should be replaced if going to the trouble of doing the fluid change.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 335d
    Get a quote to do the trans service including replacing the pan for $800 from the shop in Portland that looked at my carbon cleaning issue. I used to do all of my own car maintenance but after reading some articles on the ZF trans, I decided not to try it. Just FYI on the carbon issue from this shop -
    "We took a look at the vehicle this morning and there are no fault codes stored. Additionally, when we checked the smooth-running values and all of the cylinders are well within spec. Based off that, I would not recommend to perform a carbon cleaning at this time and continue driving the vehicle. We found the paperwork in your vehicle from when it was at the dealer and it appears one of the items that was causing the check engine light was replaced under warranty. Per their paperwork, there was only a misfire fault that was stored one time but 86 times for the sensor that was replaced."