Thread: Wiper set on fast run same speed as slow...

My Cars
    1989 325i 4 Door 5sp

Wiper set on fast run same speed as slow...

Today I noticed that my wipers run the same speed (slow) when set to slow or fast. Intermittent works fine. What are the likely culprits?

My Cars
    94, 318i W/M50TUB25

Wiper set on fast run same speed as slow...

Are you driving it or sitting still. They go faster when you start moving, could be a host of things but i would start by looking at a diagram of the wiper control module and see if its getting the speed sensor input? Idk if it works off of speed directly or if something else controls it.

Sorry just read this is an 89. Don't listen to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by snow663; 04-16-2017 at 09:56 PM.

My Cars
    325ix, 325ix, 540i
    Relay might be bad.
    If your e30 runs bad, switch to Megasquirt first. Then try new spark plugs, cap and rotor, wires, oxygen sensor, crank shaft position sensor, coolant temp sensor, air flow meter, idle control valve, throttle position sensor, digital motor electronics unit, harmonic balancer, fuel injectors, engine harness...

My Cars
    1989 325i 4 Door 5sp
    Should have checked Bentley first - they have a very good diagnosis section on wipers. Will run thru that and let you all know what I find.

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    Quote Originally Posted by snow663 View Post
    Are you driving it or sitting still. They go faster when you start moving, could be a host of things but i would start by looking at a diagram of the wiper control module and see if its getting the speed sensor input? Idk if it works off of speed directly or if something else controls it.

Sorry just read this is an 89. Don't listen to me.
    Thank goodness these wipers don't work off vacuum. What a silly idea that was.
    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one?
    Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

My Cars
    94, 318i W/M50TUB25
    Quote Originally Posted by ELVA164 View Post
    Thank goodness these wipers don't work off vacuum. What a silly idea that was.
    Haha i am not familiar with anything older than 91 but i remember reading somewhere the 80s models have vacuum to the ECU for the econometer which is also pretty redundant. But yeah this isnt a model T with vacuum actuated wipers that was probably the worst invention ever.

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    Quote Originally Posted by snow663 View Post
    Haha i am not familiar with anything older than 91 but i remember reading somewhere the 80s models have vacuum to the ECU for the econometer which is also pretty redundant. But yeah this isnt a model T with vacuum actuated wipers that was probably the worst invention ever.
    Forget the Model T, they were making vans with vacuum-operated wipers into the 70s! I remember my dad telling me a story of driving home on the highway and having to choose between going slowly with no wipers and speeding with some visibility in the rain

My Cars
    325ix, 325ix, 540i
    Weren't most things still vacuum actuated in Mercedes' through the 90s? Not the wipers, but things like door locks.
    If your e30 runs bad, switch to Megasquirt first. Then try new spark plugs, cap and rotor, wires, oxygen sensor, crank shaft position sensor, coolant temp sensor, air flow meter, idle control valve, throttle position sensor, digital motor electronics unit, harmonic balancer, fuel injectors, engine harness...

My Cars
    1989 325i 4 Door 5sp
    I removed the wiper relay and jumped the relevant terminals for fast and still got only slow. I suppose having a look at the motor and its connections is the next step?

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    Quote Originally Posted by somecarguy View Post
    I removed the wiper relay and jumped the relevant terminals for fast and still got only slow. I suppose having a look at the motor and its connections is the next step?
    Motor, connections, linkage, and ground if you weren't including that as a connection.

My Cars
    325ix, 325ix, 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by somecarguy View Post

Yeah. Over time the worm gear gets covered in grease and the contact isnt great. It gets slower and slower until it barely drags itself across the screen. It's fairly simple to drill out the rivets, wipe the contacts down, and use bolts to reassemble the motor. The tricky part is getting the wipers realigned properly.

My Cars
    1989 325i 4 Door 5sp
    Is the motor as much of a bear to remove as it sounds to be?