Thread: How do I (bypass?) the EWS to activate the starter on a swap?

My Cars
    e46 325i, c5 vette, R1

How do I (bypass?) the EWS to activate the starter on a swap?

I'm doing a LS1 swap on an e46. Trying to see what I need to fire up the starter using the stock key/ignition.

It appears the starter wires connect to the EWS (anti theft thing) under the dash, and from the EWS to the ignition/key. Right now when I turn to the Start position... I get nothing. I'm guessing the EWS is the culprit - or I might be looking in the wrong place.

Car ran fine before I pulled the motor and I have the BMW harness/computers back in the car. Right now I just want to see the starter spin with no motor/trans in the car. Any thoughts?

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by schema View Post
    I'm doing a LS1 swap on an e46. Trying to see what I need to fire up the starter using the stock key/ignition.

It appears the starter wires connect to the EWS (anti theft thing) under the dash, and from the EWS to the ignition/key. Right now when I turn to the Start position... I get nothing. I'm guessing the EWS is the culprit - or I might be looking in the wrong place.

Car ran fine before I pulled the motor and I have the BMW harness/computers back in the car. Right now I just want to see the starter spin with no motor/trans in the car. Any thoughts?
    I had to jump my EWS wire for the starter, I don't remember offhand the wire color, but I believe it may have been black with a yellow stripe.
    Instergrams: @davemakepictar

My Cars
    e46 325i, c5 vette, R1
    I think I've figured it out for now - got the starter to spin through the stock system. On the e46 there's two wires going to the starter, the black/yellow and a thicker all black wire. The all black wire supplys the voltage to the solenoid to engage it. Woot!

My Cars
    e46
    Is that with the ews plug connected? I have mine wired in but with the ews not working. I would like to make it work with it.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

My Cars
    e46

My Cars
    e46 325i, c5 vette, R1
    Yep with ews plugged in and working. I had to connect the dme back in, keep everything stock, and the two wires that went to the BMW starter solenoid - take just the thicker all black wire and connect that to the single wire chevy starter solenoid.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by stix View Post

Pretty sure just jumping the two heavy wires at the EWS will accomplish the same thing, it works on earlier models

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue