Thread: Convertible top class action law suit

My Cars
    2003 530I, 1990 E30, 200

Convertible top class action law suit

2009 650IC....The top has stopped closing all the way. Mechanic says that the hydraulics are low and you have to take th entire top off to get at it. In doing research, I saw what appeared to be a class action lawsuit against BMW for faulty tops. Then I saw last November 2016, a posting saying that BMW agreed to a settlement.

When I called my BMW dealer, they denied any information at all about the issue or settlement. The Service guy stated that even issues from 2003 just came through their system.

Does anyone have any information?

Thanks

My Cars
    2008 BMW M6 Convertible
    Just received convertible class action information and claim forms from BMW NA. essentially informing members of the class of a pending settlement. If you're an owner of record of a vehicle covered in the settlement you'll be receiving the same notice by mail with instructions and information concerning the final settlement approval yet to come at the end of July 2017. Now if we only get a settlement for defective throttle actuators and S65 and S85 rod and vanos issues, we may be able to reliably drive and enjoy these vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2003 530I, 1990 E30, 200
    As an update...I received paperwork from law firm to fill out and it had to be done by June 17th. I had to attach vin# and bill showing repairs. But BMW just called me and said that the roof locks are bad and this is causing my issues. $2400.00. So I am not sure if this is covered in the lawsuit or not.

My Cars
    2004 BMW 635ci
    If I haven't had any roof issues is there any reason to fill out the forms? It seems to only be for those that have incurred costs and have receipts??

My Cars
    2003 530I, 1990 E30, 200
    Got car home ran top up and down. Stopped working again. Wrote lawfirm asking because of dates. Took it back to BMW and they called back...suddenly it is working? I ran up two times and it works. I hope BMW is forced to extend this top issue for more time!

My Cars
    325i and 650i
    I have a 2008 650i conv. Twice the top has frozen as I was putting it up. First time it was still under warranty and went back to dealer. They "fixed" whatever the problem was back then.
    Second time was Spring 2016 and took to my mechanic. He looked it over, I had gotten it down by then. Found nothing wrong but reset everything.

My kid has had it at college, came home in April with it after graduation and it had been acting up, the rear sensors. The idrive, radio, nav, etc would all go out intermittently. Took it to our mechanic.
    Turns out the drains for the roof go to the back of the car and thru the trunk space. They had "clogged up", she was parked in a heavily treed area for several months at one house and we assume this did it. This caused the rain & water from car washes to leak under the main cover at the bottom of the trunk space and shorted everything out. $2800 later, it is all fixed. I WISH this was covered under this lawsuit! Picked the car up yesterday so it is past the time to turn in the info, still going to!

If you have a convertible and have not had this issue yet, I would have your mechanic check out the channels for the water runoff from the roof and make sure they are clear.
    We were hoping it was from when she was rear ended at a red light last fall and that the body shop had not connected everything back up properly or loose connection.

BTW, solid car! The poor lady that rear ended her was in a 2016 Mercedes SUV, hit her hard, on her way to dr for cancer check up so sure her mind was a million miles away. She thought the entire back end was going to be sitting in the road from the impact.
    The bumper was barely scratched and dented in. No injuries, not even sore or stiff muscles!
    Why I put my kids in BMW's! Granted, they are my hand me downs.