Thread: BMW Z3 Coupe or M Coupe SPARCO Harness Bar - No Longer Available

My Cars
    '99 M Coupe, '98 M3

BMW Z3 Coupe or M Coupe SPARCO Harness Bar - No Longer Available

BMW Z3 Coupe or M Coupe SPARCO Harness Bar

This is a Sparco harness bar I have used in my '99 M Coupe. I no longer track my M Coupe so I don't need it, but I was very happy with the results when I had it in. It also leaves the trunk area very useable. It's in perfect working order. The paint shows some wear, but looks quite good. This will fit all Z3 Coupes, but as far as I know, it will not fit Roadsters.

Here is the description from Sparco:
    Sparco harness bars are manufactured with the highest quality .120-wall steel and designed specifically for their competition harnesses. They are MIG welded by their highly skilled technicians, and engineered to strict safety standards. Note: Harness Bar Style may differ from picture. Some bars do not have down-tubes.
    Steel Tubing
    For use with 3 inch Harnesses
    Harness Bar

$200 plus shipping or pick it up locally in Charlotte, NC. For a shipping quote please send me your zip code.

List Date: 4/15/2017

For more info, click here to view the original listing: BMW Z3 Coupe or M Coupe SPARCO Harness Bar
    --------------------------------------
    This item is no longer available.

--------------------------------------

My Cars
    01 Z3M Coupe
    Buyers beware this item has proven to fail in a crash and is dangerous and never should had made it onto the market.
    It is safer to use stock seat and shoulder belts rather than a harness with this bar.

Original posting alerting community on subject with picture of failure:
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...s-a-Death-Trap

Seller: Do the innocent and unknowing a favor and take down this listing. You'll sleep better at night knowing that no one will be hurt or worse as a result of you selling an inferior product.
    Last edited by CMM3; 04-25-2017 at 12:57 PM.

My Cars
    '99 M Coupe, '98 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by CMM3 View Post
    Buyers beware this item has proven to fail in a crash and is dangerous and never should had made it onto the market.
    It is safer to use stock seat and shoulder belts rather than a harness with this bar.

Original posting alerting community on subject with picture of failure:
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...s-a-Death-Trap

Seller: Do the innocent and unknowing a favor and take down this listing. You'll sleep better at night knowing that no one will be hurt or worse as a result of you selling an inferior product.
    It is unfortunate that people like you have a voice on these forums. You are one of those people who thinks they know everything and that anyone who disagrees with you is wrong. I'm sorry to post this, but I have little patience for hypocrites like you. Here is a quote from you yourself on that very thread:

"What I love is people who make claims that are unsupported by anything other than their opionions and speculative in nature like you...where is your supporting data about the "increased risk" in using a race seat without a rollbar.....
    Then you get all pissed off and resort to name slinging and slamming people for no reason when they offer a different point of view. "

And this:

"If you don't think what I have is safe then that's your opinion until you can provide data to back up your half ass comments, rather than exhibiting diarrhea of the mouth"

Those are your very own words CMM3, maybe you should practice what you preach.

If I still tracked my M Coupe I would far prefer to have this or any other harness bar over the stock seat belts. That's my opinion, some people share it and some don't. Buyers can make up their mind for themselves.

My Cars
    01 Z3M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by foscoe944 View Post
    It is unfortunate that people like you have a voice on these forums. You are one of those people who thinks they know everything and that anyone who disagrees with you is wrong. I'm sorry to post this, but I have little patience for hypocrites like you. Here is a quote from you yourself on that very thread:

"What I love is people who make claims that are unsupported by anything other than their opionions and speculative in nature like you...where is your supporting data about the "increased risk" in using a race seat without a rollbar.....
    Then you get all pissed off and resort to name slinging and slamming people for no reason when they offer a different point of view. "

And this:

"If you don't think what I have is safe then that's your opinion until you can provide data to back up your half ass comments, rather than exhibiting diarrhea of the mouth"

Those are your very own words CMM3, maybe you should practice what you preach.

If I still tracked my M Coupe I would far prefer to have this or any other harness bar over the stock seat belts. That's my opinion, some people share it and some don't. Buyers can make up their mind for themselves.
    The picture speaks for itself, and there is a reason the product is no longer offered by Sparco.

There is concrete evidence to show that the Sparco Bar (see picture again) will fail in a crash. You can take whatever I said out of context, but the fact remains this is not something that anyone should think about installing to provide an anchor for a harness as it will (see picture again) get them hurt or killed in a front impact.

It doesn't matter if I choose to jump off a bridge and kill myself, nor it is not my opinion or a point of view but simply a fact.

I didn't say anything bad about you, I assumed you didn't know what you were dealing with. But you getting upset that I called attention to this over the potential loss of a few hundred dollars is beyond comprehension. How would you feel reading about a sever injury to the person you sold it.
    Last edited by CMM3; 04-25-2017 at 04:10 PM.

My Cars
    '99 M Coupe, '98 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by CMM3 View Post
    The picture speaks for itself, and there is a reason the product is no longer offered by Sparco.

There is concrete evidence to show that the Sparco Bar (see picture again) will fail in a crash. You can take whatever I said out of context, but the fact remains this is not something that anyone should think about installing to provide an anchor for a harness as it will (see picture again) get them hurt or killed in a front impact.

It doesn't matter if I choose to jump off a bridge and kill myself, nor it is not my opinion or a point of view but simply a fact.

I didn't say anything bad about you, I assumed you didn't know what you were dealing with. But you getting upset that I called attention to this over the potential loss of a few hundred dollars is beyond comprehension. How would you feel reading about a sever injury to the person you sold it.
    You are using this picture the way a drunk uses a lamp post, for support rather than illumination.

You know nothing of the circumstances around that picture, what forces were involved, how the occupants fared and whether they would have been better or worse off in stock seat belts. And you extrapolate this accident to all accidents, without having a clue as to what happened there. You don't even know if the bar or harnesses were installed correctly. You might as well point to any picture of any car that was in an accident, and claim that the bent metal means that the car is unsafe.

For all you know, you're preventing someone from using the harness bar when it will save their life someday.

And did you ever think that maybe Sparco quit making it because they weren't selling enough of them to make any money?

It's one thing to make people aware of the picture, but you're not just making people aware, you act like you know everything and you think it's your job to tell the world your opinion.

I am not waisting any more of my time with you, post whatever you want, I have nothing more to say to you.

My Cars
    01 Z3M Coupe
    And what you're doing is burying your head in the sand.

The most important function of a properly designed harness bar is for it to provide a structural anchor for the harness.
    Pretty logical and simple.
    The inherent design of the Sparco bar is flawed in that there is nothing to prevent the load (person in the harness) from moving forward in an impact. The bar simple has no tie in to support the center to prevent this from happening and it does not have enough material strength in the actual bar itself to do so.

Are you blind or just stupid that you can't come to this conclusion for yourself in looking at how it's made, installs in the car and seeing how it failed picture? It's completely obvious.

Harness bars that are part of a cage are made from 1.75" diameter .095 wall tubing and are tied into the main pillars. For this reason so they cannot bend or move in a crash. The webbing is designed to provide some compliance to help absorb the impact but it's critical that the body can't slip out from the webbing.

The fact is anyone who might install this bar in their car will be relying on it to hold them securely in a crash which it can't do due to the laws of physics. Therefore the stock shoulder and seat belts which comply to rigorous standards and testing are absolutely going to be safer than the Sparco bar.

I don't claim to know everything. But I have an engineering background and consulted with professional cage builders with 30+ years of experience to gain an understanding for the basic fundamentals, and studied closely the SCCA and manufacturer rules for installing race seats, harnesses, and cages. So I do have some knowledge on the subject.

Your arguments are childish and your refusal to accept the fact that you're attempting to sell a piece of garbage that could get someone killed is totally irresponsible.
    And I'm not wasting my time anymore in trying to educate someone who is acting like a two year old.
    Last edited by CMM3; 04-28-2017 at 12:58 PM.