Bimmerforums Upgrade Garage The Tire Rack

Thread: Buying tires from overseas and shipping to US

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650

Buying tires from overseas and shipping to US

So, I've been looking around for tires and notice that they're pretty cheap (well, cheaper) in Japan. Has anyone ever explored buying tires from Asia and getting them shipped to the continental US? I know the shipping seems like it'd blow the price, but I order non-tire items from Amazon that come from China and it seems like the shipping is almost nothing! I have bought some electronics from Hong Kong (sure they were small), but have gotten good prices there too.

For comparison, I've been looking for some Toyo Proxes R1R. At TireRack, in the size I want I'm looking at almost $170/tire +shipping, +tax. I found the same tire at 2 different places in Japan for $132/tire. I didn't even check Alibaba, that place looks like a minefield and I'm a bit leery every time I go on there.

Just curious if anyone has ever tried this route and/or can recommend a place that is easier to navigate than using Google translate.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    I still think you're going to run into a higher cost when it comes to tax+shipping. Did you do a mock checkout to see what the final price will be?
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

As per above, go to the checkout and if they do allow international shipping and provide the price rightaway on the cart, then see what that figure is.

If they don't provide that, then get an online quote from UPS/Fedex.

You'll most likely find the cost of shipping will make the price significantly more expensive than compared if you purchased from Tirerack.

The reason you find other products from sellers in China or on alibaba etc is that they're usually low quality, low value, non branded products and they also use the sneak way of labeling them as commercial samples etc. You can't think that as they seemingly cost very little to ship that you'll get the same with much bigger and heavier items that are branded etc.

Cheers, Dennis!

Using a simple online estimate, shipping is more than the tires. Go to tire rack.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk