Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Light upgrades | E39 Non-Bakeable | G4 Bi-Xenons, Morimoto, New Adjusters, New Lens

My Cars
    W220 S55 AMG, E39 540i6
    Bad news. I mounted the projector housing to the new adjusters. Put all the light bulbs in place. Hooked everything up to test alignment of everything before sealing it up and "fire in the hole." Except the low beams wouldn't turn on. I haven't touched my drivers side but that wouldn't turn on either. Halos, turn signal, high beam all work fine. Just no low beam. Tried everything and can't figure out why other than that ground being disconnected and tucked away.

Any suggestions? My car is a 97 with halogens originally but it has aftermarket canbus ballasts running oem us spec hella facelift xenons now for a couple of years with no issues. I'm at a loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Chris
    -------------------------------------
    04 Mercedes S55 AMG
    97 BMW 540i6

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by cnsorial View Post
    Bad news. I mounted the projector housing to the new adjusters. Put all the light bulbs in place. Hooked everything up to test alignment of everything before sealing it up and "fire in the hole." Except the low beams wouldn't turn on. I haven't touched my drivers side but that wouldn't turn on either. Halos, turn signal, high beam all work fine. Just no low beam. Tried everything and can't figure out why other than that ground being disconnected and tucked away.

Any suggestions? My car is a 97 with halogens originally but it has aftermarket canbus ballasts running oem us spec hella facelift xenons now for a couple of years with no issues. I'm at a loss.

Definitely not the ground wire as I left it disconnected on both my e39s and have no issues. The low beams are completely independent of what projectors they are in and should work even if not installed in projectors. If they aren't working, you left something else out.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    W220 S55 AMG, E39 540i6
    Quote Originally Posted by blackknight530i View Post
    Definitely not the ground wire as I left it disconnected on both my e39s and have no issues. The low beams are completely independent of what projectors they are in and should work even if not installed in projectors. If they aren't working, you left something else out.

I agree. The low beams are independent of everything. Just with the ballast hooked up and connected to the bulb, neither low beam works on either side.

Just blows my mind that the drivers side isn't working either when I haven't done anything to that side.

Chris
    04 Mercedes S55 AMG
    97 BMW 540i6

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    I agree. The low beams are independent of everything. Just with the ballast hooked up and connected to the bulb, neither low beam works on either side.

Just blows my mind that the drivers side isn't working either when I haven't done anything to that side.

What are you powering them with?

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    W220 S55 AMG, E39 540i6
    What are you powering them with?

They're aftermarket ballasts with a canbus resistor. Came with the car when I bought it. They worked last night coming home from class before I pulled it out to work on it.

I don't have the lights sealed up or anything. Just all the bulbs hooked up. I triple checked to make sure everything was hooked up right.

No fuses in these cars right?

Chris
    04 Mercedes S55 AMG
    97 BMW 540i6

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    They're aftermarket ballasts with a canbus resistor. Came with the car when I bought it. They worked last night coming home from class before I pulled it out to work on it.

I don't have the lights sealed up or anything. Just all the bulbs hooked up. I triple checked to make sure everything was hooked up right.

No fuses in these cars right?

Not sure if there are specific fuses for each type of light, but could be different fuses for them. Check the card in the glove box.

The fact that the driver side light stopped working and you hadn't touched it sounds like a fuse issue.

-Paul

My Cars
    W220 S55 AMG, E39 540i6
    Not sure if there are specific fuses for each type of light, but could be different fuses for them. Check the card in the glove box.

The fact that the driver side light stopped working and you hadn't touched it sounds like a fuse issue.

Will investigate further tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

Chris
    04 Mercedes S55 AMG
    97 BMW 540i6

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    I want to try plugging mine and see how it looks right now.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Quote Originally Posted by auaq View Post
    I want to try plugging mine and see how it looks right now.
    Pictures?

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Sorry. Didn't go out and plugged it in. Will do tomorrow.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sure it will be bright enough to evaporate vampires. And maybe zombies too ...

My Cars
    W220 S55 AMG, E39 540i6
    Auaq, do you plan to do anything with your fog lights? How's the retro coming?

Chris
    04 Mercedes S55 AMG
    97 BMW 540i6

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    No, I do not plan to upgrade the fog lights since they are actually brand new.

Got the missing parts yesterday, there are few more stuff that I ordered and expecting to receive it today or tomorrow. It will be a while before I can continue working on it and update this thread.

My Cars
    W220 S55 AMG, E39 540i6
    Gotcha. I'm trying to make my dogs match the low beams and angel eyes but it doesn't seem to be working.

Hopefully I'll be done this evening. Btw, I shortened the plastic mounts for the projector studs as you did. Be careful when putting on the boots and bulbs that you don't put too much pressure on them and break the plastic. Ask me how I know. I couldn't get the stock boot to work even with cutting it, so I'm just going to buy a 90 mm boot from trs

Chris
    04 Mercedes S55 AMG
    97 BMW 540i6

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Gotcha. I'm trying to make my dogs match the low beams and angel eyes but it doesn't seem to be working.

Hopefully I'll be done this evening. Btw, I shortened the plastic mounts for the projector studs as you did. Be careful when putting on the boots and bulbs that you don't put too much pressure on them and break the plastic. Ask me how I know. I couldn't get the stock boot to work even with cutting it, so I'm just going to buy a 90 mm boot from trs

Yeah, my cats are pretty much brand new which were installed in the beginning of last year.

Okay, thanks for that boot info.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S

You got your low beams to work finally? What was wrong?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

-Paul

My Cars
    W220 S55 AMG, E39 540i6
    You got your low beams to work finally? What was wrong?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Oh, yes. I updated my other thread on it but I guess I forgot to update this one. Both ballasts went out. Not sure when or how. They worked the last time I drove it at night. I had a spare ballast laying around from my accord and put it in and it worked perfectly. Thanks for your help with the trouble shooting.

Passenger side is installed. Finishing up drivers side now and will update with pics. Did they ever revive your thread so I can stop clogging up Auaqs thread and post there instead?

Chris
    04 Mercedes S55 AMG
    97 BMW 540i6

My Cars
    W220 S55 AMG, E39 540i6

Light upgrades | E39 Non-Bakeable | G4 Bi-Xenons, Morimoto, New Adjusters, New Lens

Finished both headlights and took it for spin around my neighborhood after it got dark. Color flicker of cutoff is fantastic. Projectors perform very well and far better than OE. Couple issues related to my car and my installation and not the projectors.

First, even with new adjusters, the beam is not nearly high enough. It points way too low even at the highest setting. So I guess I'll have to zip tie it like I had before. I'm thinking it could be due to me having the self leveling headlights on a non self leveling car? Im out of ideas.

Second is that on my drivers side, the high beam points lower than the low beam. I checked it before sealing it up and it was fine. So not sure what happened there. Not a big deal since these are bixenons and I really only use my high beams for flashing.

I tried taking a picture with the lights on but my phone couldn't capture it.

Overall, I'm very happy with it. At the very least the projectors aren't flapping in the breeze like they were before. The euro spec lenses with arctic silver look fantastic IMO. This was my 4th projector retrofit in a variety of different cars and it was the most frustrating and time consuming.

Last edited by cnsorial; 04-20-2017 at 09:37 PM.
    Chris
    04 Mercedes S55 AMG
    97 BMW 540i6

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    Looking good. you must have distorted the light frame when you close them up or something to cause the high beam to shift?
    98 540i 6, 525 whp, 120 mph 1/4, V3 Si S/C'er @16 psi, W/A I/C, Water/Meth, Supersprint Headers, HJS Cats, 3" Custom Exhaust, UUC Twin Disc, Wavetrac LSD, GC Coil Overs, Monoball TA, AEM FP, Aeromotive FPR, AEM Failsafe AFR/Boost, Style 65's w/275's, M5 Steering Box, Eibach Sways, M3 Shifter, Evans Coolant, 85 Deg Stat, PWM Fan, 10" Subs, B.A. speakers, Grom Aux/BT, Still Rolling as my DD!

My Cars
    W220 S55 AMG, E39 540i6
    Quote Originally Posted by philly98540 View Post
    Looking good. you must have distorted the light frame when you close them up or something to cause the high beam to shift?
    Yea. That's what I'm thinking. My OCD is making me feel compelled to open them up to fix it but I can literally count on one hand how many times I've used my high beams.

Chris
    04 Mercedes S55 AMG
    97 BMW 540i6

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    How's your low beam aim?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, how do you like it overall?

My Cars
    W220 S55 AMG, E39 540i6
    Quote Originally Posted by auaq View Post
    How's your low beam aim?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, how do you like it overall?
    Low beam aim is too low even at the top of the adjusters travel. My theory is that the auto leveling motor is locked in a position that pulls it down too far. My plan is to zip tie it into position in a clean way from the inside and just life with that. I'm gonna have to swallow my pride on this one haha.

Overall, I love it. I initially did this so I could fix my adjusters and get rid of the orange side marker, but figured for $100 I could improve the light output "while I'm in there." The color flicker is so beautiful and the clear projector lenses really do improve the output compared to the oem fresnel lens. I also love the euro lenses.

Chris
    04 Mercedes S55 AMG
    97 BMW 540i6

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Cool. Can't wait to have mine all done. Will have to make sure the aim is right and there's enough adjustment threads left for improvement.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Not much done in the past few days, as I'm dealing with allergies. Can't stop coughing every now and then. I got the adjuster cups thanks to BimmerMeUpSnotty and is already screwed on to the housing. Spend some time installing the new AE rings. I had to cut the plastic flat top bar in order to squeeze the rings to fit in the grooves. These AE's don't actually fit that well in the groove, so they stick out a little bit causing an interference fit between the frame and AE ring housing. I had to grind down the frame on the top flat side a little bit to clip in the the two housings together. There were some trial and errors initially with the fitment before I used the little double sided sticky tape that came with this kit to finally hold the new rings in its place. Hopefully, they don't come loose apart and fall inside the headlights late on.

Anybody knows what these little things are? They came with the AE kit.

My Cars
    W220 S55 AMG, E39 540i6
    Looking good Auaq. I have no idea what those little clip things are. Maybe philly knows? Today I just baked open the passenger side light to fix the stud that broke when I was putting on the boot. I think this is why I couldn't get the beam to adjust higher. Hopefully it goes back smoothly.

Chris
    04 Mercedes S55 AMG
    97 BMW 540i6

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    Fit looks pretty good after you worked them in. Maybe yours are a little bit thicker than the Hella rings? Not sure. The clips hold the rings into the housing on some cars I guess. Not needed on ours.

Id not trust the double sided tape long term. I just glued mine using some clear silicone added on the back side.

Those are SMD rings. Any pics of them lighted up?
    98 540i 6, 525 whp, 120 mph 1/4, V3 Si S/C'er @16 psi, W/A I/C, Water/Meth, Supersprint Headers, HJS Cats, 3" Custom Exhaust, UUC Twin Disc, Wavetrac LSD, GC Coil Overs, Monoball TA, AEM FP, Aeromotive FPR, AEM Failsafe AFR/Boost, Style 65's w/275's, M5 Steering Box, Eibach Sways, M3 Shifter, Evans Coolant, 85 Deg Stat, PWM Fan, 10" Subs, B.A. speakers, Grom Aux/BT, Still Rolling as my DD!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast