Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Light upgrades | E39 Non-Bakeable | G4 Bi-Xenons, Morimoto, New Adjusters, New Lens

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason5driver View Post
    That is too bad...
    He was a huge asset IMO.

Auaq,
    Those cut up lenses look scary...
    Yes, cal45fan was/is. Jose is a great guy. He hooked me up with stuff I needed, and that's why I keep him alive around here in memory.

Non bakeable lights, it's gotta be done. mine looked just as bad, but after cleaning out the gutters, it's all good. Problem is, that's as far as I got, lol.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    I had no luck today at the yard. Somebody already got them before me. May have to make another trip to another yard and see if it's still there.

Any place that sells those little plastic parts that screw into the chrome housing? Or anybody got some spares that is willing to sell it to me for free?

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by auaq View Post
    I had no luck today at the yard. Somebody already got them before me. May have to make another trip to another yard and see if it's still there.

Any place that sells those little plastic parts that screw into the chrome housing? Or anybody got some spares that is willing to sell it to me for free?
    What did you do to them again? I've found those to be quite durable. It's the adjusters themselves that become super brittle.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    I mistakenly threw them away thinking the the new kit would come with every part of the adjusters. There are three of those where the ball socket pops into each of 'em and is held on by those little T15 torx screws to the back side of the chrome housing.

As shown below.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Start fishing

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Found one on eBay but I can't tell if the seller has only one out of three adjuster cups or has a set for one headlight. Have been looking over at the classifieds too, and so far no headlights are listed for sale. I'm now checking with Adam and others on M5board.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Asim, I just saw this, how many do you need? I think I have some. I gave a whole set to somebody about a year ago, but I think I have some more. They do hold up better than the adjusters.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    I need three as shown in the first pic.

- - - Updated - - -

One hooks to the leveling motor and two to the manually operated adjusters.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    I got 'em for you, two of the cups, and one of the goofy one that the leveling rod hooks onto. PM me your address and I'll have our shipper Fedex it out to you tomorrow morning.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Peeeee MMmmmm'd you.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Awright, got it, they'll be heading yer way before lunch time.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Yer shwelcome!!!

My Cars
    W220 S55 AMG, E39 540i6
    Auaq,

Just spent about 3 hours working on mine. Thought they were bakeable but they turned out to be epoxied. What a pain in the rear.

What do you do with the ground wire that was connected to the old oem projector?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Chris
    -------------------------------------
    04 Mercedes S55 AMG
    97 BMW 540i6

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    I haven't got to that part yet. The old one is a ground wire but this new G4 has two wires, so I need to figure out that.

Yeah, epoxied lenses are tough to work with. Hope you didn't cut too deep and scratched the other frames/housings.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by cnsorial View Post
    Auaq,

Just spent about 3 hours working on mine. Thought they were bakeable but they turned out to be epoxied. What a pain in the rear.

What do you do with the ground wire that was connected to the old oem projector?

I left the ground disconnected, but you could notch the metal lens frame if you wanted to.

-Paul

My Cars
    E21 320i, e39 540i/6
    Those rubber spacers are how the bright/low beam aim was set relative to each other. You'll need to keep them installed. I had to hook my light up to 12v before I reassembled them to set the aim and it took a bit of trial and error. You basically want the center of the bright beam focal point set just at or above the low cut off line, ideally to give you smooth transition in pattern when the brights are on. Without re-aiming, your brights will likely be completely useless.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

'81 320i turbo | t25, 931 CIS, 240hp, 13.92@100mph | 2.2L m10 Turbo Build | My E21 Videos |

My Cars
    W220 S55 AMG, E39 540i6
    I haven't got to that part yet. The old one is a ground wire but this new G4 has two wires, so I need to figure out that.

Yeah, epoxied lenses are tough to work with. Hope you didn't cut too deep and scratched the other frames/housings.
    There are a couple of places that I cut a little to deep but they won't be seen once the new lens is mounted.

The two wires coming off the new projector are for the high beam solenoid. Those connect to the oem high beam using a high beam splitter that Paul linked in his thread, but now that thread is missing. The wire coming off the old projector just looks like a ground for the headlight, the new projector has no where to mount it. Maybe Paul can chime in.

Chris
    04 Mercedes S55 AMG
    97 BMW 540i6

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by cnsorial View Post
    There are a couple of places that I cut a little to deep but they won't be seen once the new lens is mounted.

The two wires coming off the new projector are for the high beam solenoid. Those connect to the oem high beam using a high beam splitter that Paul linked in his thread, but now that thread is missing. The wire coming off the old projector just looks like a ground for the headlight, the new projector has no where to mount it. Maybe Paul can chime in.

Already did ^

-Paul

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Yeah, I remember reading about the splitter in Paul's thread. I'm sure he'll chime in and can tell us how he wired the solenoid.

jrcook320 - I'll try to put the rubber spacers back on and make the necessary adjustments to make sure the focal point is at the center as much as possible.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Yeah, I remember reading about the splitter in Paul's thread. I'm sure he'll chime in and can tell us how he wired the solenoid.

jrcook320 - I'll try to put the rubber spacers back on and make the necessary adjustments to make sure the focal point is at the center as much as possible.
    Solenoids are super simple. They just wire to the 9006 pigtails, then you use the high beam splitters to go to the old halogen and shutters.

-Paul

My Cars
    W220 S55 AMG, E39 540i6
    Quote Originally Posted by blackknight530i View Post
    Already did ^

Thanks Paul. Just saw your post.

I thought to cut the oem ground "connector" off and use just a flat splice connector and wedge it between the projector body and frame. Where the bare metal is for the high beam solenoid.

But maybe I'll leave it disconnected if it won't cause any problems.

Chris
    04 Mercedes S55 AMG
    97 BMW 540i6

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i
    I left mine disconnected and wrapped in electrical tape. As for the two wires from the solenoid, I snaked it out through the back and placed the boot over it, sealed well without any problems. Will grab a picture at lunch.

Definitely make sure to pre-aim the lights before sealing it all up. I made the mistake of not doing so and had to disconnect my auto adjusting motors in order to prevent the lights from pointing all over the place. Whoops. Will have to disassemble everything and put it back later on

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by nikh23 View Post
    I left mine disconnected and wrapped in electrical tape. As for the two wires from the solenoid, I snaked it out through the back and placed the boot over it, sealed well without any problems. Will grab a picture at lunch.

Definitely make sure to pre-aim the lights before sealing it all up. I made the mistake of not doing so and had to disconnect my auto adjusting motors in order to prevent the lights from pointing all over the place. Whoops. Will have to disassemble everything and put it back later on
    I didn't have any issues with the low beam not matching the high beam lines. Not sure why everyone is having issues with it.

-Paul

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    One thing I forgot to get from the yard was the arm for the ride height sensor in the front since mine is broken. Interestingly enough a few of the face lifted E39's didn't even had one attached to the control arm. I couldn't even find the actual sensor too.

- - - Updated - - -

They're pretty cheap though. I'm free tomorrow, so I'll make a trip to another local yard and see if any BMW has one. I might just put the arm in my pocket and just walk out without paying .... kekeke

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast