Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Light upgrades | E39 Non-Bakeable | G4 Bi-Xenons, Morimoto, New Adjusters, New Lens

My Cars
    W220 S55 AMG, E39 540i6
    Do you have the rings behind the Celis plastic diffuser? Or did it come with that diffuser?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Chris
    -------------------------------------
    04 Mercedes S55 AMG
    97 BMW 540i6

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Quote Originally Posted by philly98540 View Post
    Fit looks pretty good after you worked them in. Maybe yours are a little bit thicker than the Hella rings? Not sure. The clips hold the rings into the housing on some cars I guess. Not needed on ours.

Id not trust the double sided tape long term. I just glued mine using some clear silicone added on the back side.

Those are SMD rings. Any pics of them lighted up?
    Yes, they are slightly thicker than Hella rings. Yeah, I might as well use some clear silicone to glue them together. No pics of it lit up yet.

Any idea what are those little plastic things in my last pic?

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    For clipping them in on certain cars I think. Not needed afaict for our cars
    98 540i 6, 525 whp, 120 mph 1/4, V3 Si S/C'er @16 psi, W/A I/C, Water/Meth, Supersprint Headers, HJS Cats, 3" Custom Exhaust, UUC Twin Disc, Wavetrac LSD, GC Coil Overs, Monoball TA, AEM FP, Aeromotive FPR, AEM Failsafe AFR/Boost, Style 65's w/275's, M5 Steering Box, Eibach Sways, M3 Shifter, Evans Coolant, 85 Deg Stat, PWM Fan, 10" Subs, B.A. speakers, Grom Aux/BT, Still Rolling as my DD!

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Yeah, I thought the same thing or something for wiring.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Do Amazon make deliveries on Sunday?

I got a text message this morning saying they have delivered my high beam splitter wire but I see nothing in the mail box nor did I see the USPS driver today.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by auaq View Post
    Do Amazon make deliveries on Sunday?

I got a text message this morning saying they have delivered my high beam splitter wire but I see nothing in the mail box nor did I see the USPS driver today.
    Yes, for some items and certain markets.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Guess I'll have to check tomorrow because I didn't receive anything today.

My Cars
    96 ACS S3 CLS, 02 540iA
    Those G4's are interesting. Anybody have beam shots out of those? Definitely watching this thread for the end result for sure...
    I have a pair of facelift headlights I picked up from the pick n pull, and will eventually be getting around to a full bi-xenon retrofit in them (not looking forward to hacking out the old lenses though). Planning on using RX350 Bi-xenon projectors and making relay-switched 35/55w supercharged ballasts for them like I did with my E36 retrofit, but I like that these G4's are much closer to just bolting up than the RX350's would be. If their beam is pretty good, I just might change my mind...
    Alvin Caragay
    Mpire Automotive (https://www.facebook.com/MpireAutomotive/)
    '96 AC Schnitzer S3 Sport CLS Replica (https://www.facebook.com/ACSS3SportCLSR)
    '02 E39 540iAT

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Blackknight530i is still looking to sell these G4's, so I say get 'em now. He did posted a screenshot of the beam in his thread which sadly speaking is still inaccessible. They looked real nice. Very bright and the clarity is sharp indeed. I commented in his thread by saying it's like comparing a 480p (stock projector) to a 1080p HD (G4).

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Blackknight530i is still looking to sell these G4's, so I say get 'em now. He did posted a screenshot of the beam in his thread which sadly speaking is still inaccessible. They looked real nice. Very bright and the clarity is sharp indeed. I commented in his thread by saying it's like comparing a 480p (stock projector) to a 1080p HD (G4).
    You're absolutely right. I have several sets and the light output is staggering. It's so much brighter, clearer and sharper than stock. Getting new lenses helped a lot as well.

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    96 ACS S3 CLS, 02 540iA
    Heh...anything is better than the stock projectors. What i'm really curious is how they compare to the other (high-end) OEM D2S projectors...like the RX350's etc. Honestly, I typically prefer the quality and output of the OEM projectors and D2S bulbs over the china-made stuff. I have a pair of Morimoto FX-R 3.0's that i'm going to use for a retrofit in another car (non-BMW). They're nice and the beam output is very wide, but for my E39 I wanted to use an OEM projector. However, the "ease" of retrofitting these G4's may be worth it...
    Alvin Caragay
    Mpire Automotive (https://www.facebook.com/MpireAutomotive/)
    '96 AC Schnitzer S3 Sport CLS Replica (https://www.facebook.com/ACSS3SportCLSR)
    '02 E39 540iAT

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    So I did a quick test to see if everything is working right or not. Last time when I only tried to test the G4 projector with the ballast hooked up, the bulb wouldn't even light up. I guess I had to connect other stuff too in order to make it work. Anyways, this time I hooked up the turn signal, low beam and high beam, and the angel eyes ICE LED bulb and they all work now. In the mean time, I'm waiting for the clear silicone to dry up on the back side of the AE ring housing, so that I can put back everything together and then sort out the wiring harness for the LED angel eyes. I'm going to have to check with local yards to see if there are any E38's around. I want to grab the boots of off their headlights since they seem to work and fit better than the E39 boots.

Thanks to Paul's advise, this is the 9005/9006 high beam splitter wire I got off of Amazon for around nine bucks and some change. Plus free shipping too. You get two of these wires when you order one. Plan is to tap the G4 wires to this splitter, so that when I flash or turn on the high beams, both my high beam H7 bulb will lit up and the shutter in the G4 will slide away from the center focal point allowing to shine more light on the road.

Clear RTV silicone is being applied here on the back side of the AE rings. Chris (phillysteaksammich) was right about those little double sided tape being weak and how the rings can easily come off the back housing. I laid down a bead of this RTV so that it at least sticks to the inside of the housings and to the back and the edge of the rings hoping to hold them together in place. As you can see there is no defined area to properly apply like on a flat-to-flat surface. I wonder if Chris did the same thing. Anyways, moving on.

A quick close up view of the wiring. High beam side.

Low beam side.

I'm going to hook the lights again tonight to see the differences between right and left side and will post pics again. That's all for now.

My Cars
    W220 S55 AMG, E39 540i6
    Lookin good. Are you going to remove that orange piece in the turn signal reflector? Curious to see what the angel eyes look like lit up. For my solenoid hook up I got a female 9006 plug and soldered that onto the solenoid wires so that it's all plug and play.

Chris
    04 Mercedes S55 AMG
    97 BMW 540i6

My Cars
    W220 S55 AMG, E39 540i6
    Also,don't forget to tape up that side marker light since you've got the chrome euro piece now. Would suck to put it all together and see light seeping out of it at night.

Chris
    04 Mercedes S55 AMG
    97 BMW 540i6

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    There is no orange piece in the reflector. It's the bulb's orange reflection onto the reflector.

I'm just going to cut the plug, strip the wire, and then use the posi lock twist connectors and join the two together. I accidentally ordered a separate two 9005 connectors only to realize that won't work in trying to plug two 9005 connectors together. Should've ordered the 9006 ones like you've suggested. Would have made the wiring and pluggin a lot cleaner. Oh, well. Just going to roll with what I have.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cnsorial View Post
    Also,don't forget to tape up that side marker light since you've got the chrome euro piece now. Would suck to put it all together and see light seeping out of it at night.

Oh, good call. I forgot about.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Actually I might leave that side marker alone just to see what it looks like. Hehee.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Actually I might leave that side marker alone just to see what it looks like. Hehee.
    I accidently left them uncovered on my M5. I think it looks kinda cool, but if I were doing them again, I'd probably cover them.

-Paul

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    Nice progress Asim. You are ahead of me now!

On the silicone, I just like 6 small areas not the whole thing, but same idea. It will hold strong.

Get a proper connector to mate the splitter to the bi Xenon shutter.

Let's see how those SMD rings light up.
    98 540i 6, 525 whp, 120 mph 1/4, V3 Si S/C'er @16 psi, W/A I/C, Water/Meth, Supersprint Headers, HJS Cats, 3" Custom Exhaust, UUC Twin Disc, Wavetrac LSD, GC Coil Overs, Monoball TA, AEM FP, Aeromotive FPR, AEM Failsafe AFR/Boost, Style 65's w/275's, M5 Steering Box, Eibach Sways, M3 Shifter, Evans Coolant, 85 Deg Stat, PWM Fan, 10" Subs, B.A. speakers, Grom Aux/BT, Still Rolling as my DD!

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Actually, I just realized that if you use aftermarket LED rings, that corner light won't be lit anyways.

-Paul

My Cars
    W220 S55 AMG, E39 540i6
    Quote Originally Posted by blackknight530i View Post
    Actually, I just realized that if you use aftermarket LED rings, that corner light won't be lit anyways.

Oops. Good point. Didn't even think about it.

Chris
    04 Mercedes S55 AMG
    97 BMW 540i6

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    I was initially going to apply on the little tabs/bridges but wasn't too sure if it will hold up or not, so I decided to go full retard mode and apply it everywhere ... just because ....

Yeah, next thing I need to lay down the AE wiring harness kit and search for an ignition wire and one/any source of interior light wire. That's all I have to do now, tap it in, then hook up power and ground. Hopefully, that should light up my AE's.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by blackknight530i View Post

Well, true but that would mean I have to leave the stock AE plug disconnected which will then throw "check side lights" message. I'm going to leave it connected as is.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    I was initially going to apply on the little tabs/bridges but wasn't too sure if it will hold up or not, so I decided to go full retard mode and apply it everywhere ... just because ....

Yeah, next thing I need to lay down the AE wiring harness kit and search for an ignition wire and one/any source of interior light wire. That's all I have to do now, tap it in, then hook up power and ground. Hopefully, that should light up my AE's.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, true but that would mean I have to leave the stock AE plug disconnected which will then throw "check side lights" message. I'm going to leave it connected as is.
    Uh, connect new AEs to the wires. You still need to code out the check control for LEDs anyways.

-Paul

My Cars
    W220 S55 AMG, E39 540i6

- - - Updated - - -

What if you cut off the connector for the OE AE bulbs and solder that to the power and ground for the SMD rings. Then you can just plug it in to the stock harness. Then tap into the stock harness and run it to your interior lights and ignition wire (most use DME power). Paul had a clean way to use the angel eyes as DRLs and for synching with the interior lights using an LCM IV. This way you'll have a functioning "check side light" OBC warning.

- - - Updated - - -

Ah, Paul beat me to it haha.
    Chris
    04 Mercedes S55 AMG
    97 BMW 540i6

My Cars
    e39
    Is it possible to reach the four bolts that mount the projector without taking the headlight apart? One of mine is loose and I really don't want to crack the lights open again.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by bmv528ie39 View Post
    Is it possible to reach the four bolts that mount the projector without taking the headlight apart? One of mine is loose and I really don't want to crack the lights open again.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
    No

-Paul

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast