Thread: Paint ruined, Insurance valuation, repair estimate, they want to total.

My Cars
    '94 740IL 7/93

Paint ruined, Insurance valuation, repair estimate, they want to total.

Hey, been gone from here a long time, but my car has been insanely reliable and I haven't had any mods to share since my lkm/ exhaust stuff years ago.

A couple weeks ago a disgusting tree decided to blow its wad all over my car, sticky seed pods with a sap that completely destroyed my paint and smells like perfumy rotten meat. It literally fused to the clear, even causing it to dissolve or flake off in places.

https://i.imgur.com/OHPh34g.jpg

Made a claim, got an estimate, not sure what to do.

They are valuing(with CCC) it at $3940. Which I think is low considering the great condition and mileage (108k mi).

The estimate for repair is around$4500 for an (in network) high quality paint job, guaranteed by the insurance company, so totaled. Overestimating their hours significantly btw. .3 hours to remove EACH emblem lol. I'm going to get a couple more estimates next week.

The adjuster I'm dealing with is being helpful and is going to try to get that valuation bumped up since I noticed some of the options missing.

Here's the thing. My buy back would only be $473 + the $250 deductible, and the title stays clear.

So basically I can get a check for $3200, keep my (otherwise great condition) car, its ugly paint, and its clear title.

The more I think about it the better it sounds, but my car was so damn pretty.

I'm sure I could eventually find a shop to do a good paint job for $3k but I know that once I get that money I'm not going to want to deal with the hassle and hand over that cash.

With NADA valuing my car ('94 740iL) at $4100 excellent condition and the same year and mileage 740i at $9000 (wtf is up with that?) I have no clue at the future value of the thing.

I'm thinking about just saying eff it, taking the check, and going at the car with bedliner and sem trim paint.

That or just Plasti-dip on the worst parts so I don't lose the paint completely, and watching the value to see if it ever becomes worth dropping the cash for a paint job. How much does paint effect the value anyway? A lot less than a paint job costs...

So there's my ramble. I'm keeping my car, she's going to remain well maintained and preserved (apart from the paint).

Just interested in the community's thoughts on the whole affair. Fair valuation? Paint estimate is bonkers yes? Take the money and run? Bedliner?
    Last edited by shogun; 04-15-2017 at 06:21 AM.

'94 740IL. 7/93. Custom 2.5" exhaust, DUDMD chip, No chrome, No amber.

My Cars
    1978 635Csi, 1988 735iM
    Ha, yeah Id get another estimate, that emblem hokem seems silly. But, as a restoration body shop owner Ill tell you depending on the color 4500 is probably on the lower end of what it could be if theyre painting AND clearing the whole thing. That said.. a high quality shop could probably re do the hood/ roof/ trunk and touch up the fender tops and save money if its not that bad.

In my opinion if you love the car, take the check and take it where ever you want and have it fixed right. Pay the difference in the cost, buy a car cover and take care of it.

The paint is a huge part of the car, even as a car guy who can see past the paint... its still the first thing you notice. If a car is maintained perfectly its still worth half as much with trashed paint.

AND, for the love of ALL that is holy please please dont bed line the thing! Once you do its worthless because it takes so much time to get that off if anyone ever wants to paint it the car will only be worth what the parts are.

And last thing..... your pic didnt show up for me, ha not sure if its my comp or not..

My Cars
    are slow
    That pattern actually looks pretty neat. Inner beauty is always the most important.

Cash the check up and see where you can go.
    Last edited by XAlt; 04-14-2017 at 09:38 PM.

My Cars
    '94 740IL 7/93
    Quote Originally Posted by 6erWEBB View Post
    AND, for the love of ALL that is holy please please dont bed line the thing!

Haha, I'm not really considering the bed liner thing seriously, I just actually like the look and know how to spray it to look nearly as smooth as an actual matte auto paint, only way more durable. It wouldn't kill the value outright, but you're still right on that point since any future value in these cars will be dependant on how clean and original they're kept. That's why I've only done completely reversible mods to the car.

I actually have a lot of finish experience, just on guitar bodies, not autos. So I know the thing really needs a full paint and clear. I've done a bit of airbrush touch ups to the car that have held up well, but old lacquer over old black paint? Never going to totally hide defects.

Just wish I had the booth and patience to paint the thing myself. A nicer spray gun, prime, paint and some high end 2k clear would have me way ahead on what I've put in the car. Might even be better off going single stage since it already needs a repaint and I'm sure not going with the weak ass lacquer they used originally.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by XAlt View Post
    That pattern actually looks pretty neat. Inner beauty is always the most important.
    That pattern you're seeing is actually morning dew. Dry it just looks dusty spotty and filthy, even clean and waxed. With a few spots and patches of missing clear.

My Cars
    '91 M5, '13 E92, '89 E32
    Have you gone to a real, quality, professional detailing shop for an opinion? It is astonishing what a $400 detailing job can do
    1989 750iL schwarz/schwarz
    1991 M5 schwarz/silbergrau
    2013 328i coupe diamondschwarz/caramel
    2003 525iT orient blue/tan
    1990 535i/5 schwarz/schwarz

My Cars
    '94 740IL 7/93
    Quote Originally Posted by biasvoltage View Post
    Have you gone to a real, quality, professional detailing shop for an opinion? It is astonishing what a $400 detailing job can do
    If only you could buff out clear coat that doesn't exist, lol.

Like I said above I have a ton of paint and finish experience as a Luthier, so I guarantee I can do a better detail in(I also have leatherwork experience) and out on my own. And it's just not possible to get it very clean looking without completely removing the clear over the entire top of the car and re spraying, or going single stage. I could probably scrape and drop fill most of the stuff on the sides, but like I said, old lacquer over old black(common with older guitars) is really the least forgiving combo to do spot repairs on beside straight matte black.

My Cars
    are slow
    Quote Originally Posted by JHluthier View Post
    If only you could buff out clear coat that doesn't exist, lol.

Like I said above I have a ton of paint and finish experience as a Luthier, so I guarantee I can do a better detail in(I also have leatherwork experience) and out on my own. And it's just not possible to get it very clean looking without completely removing the clear over the entire top of the car and re spraying, or going single stage. I could probably scrape and drop fill most of the stuff on the sides, but like I said, old lacquer over old black(common with older guitars) is really the least forgiving combo to do spot repairs on beside straight matte black.
    You can always play the hack detailer game with a polishing pad.

Last edited by XAlt; 04-15-2017 at 04:06 PM.

My Cars
    '94 740IL 7/93
    What? Wtf did I just watch? That was painful.

You suggesting I burn off the rest of the clear with a wool pad like this clown in the vid? Haha

My Cars
    are slow
    Quote Originally Posted by JHluthier View Post
    What? Wtf did I just watch? That was painful.

You suggesting I burn off the rest of the clear with a wool pad like this clown in the vid? Haha
    Exactly.

Since the clear is done for, go nuclear until you can find an actual solution.
    Last edited by XAlt; 04-16-2017 at 12:09 AM.

My Cars
    way too many
    Work a deal with the shop to bill the insurance up to their non-totalled limit and pay the difference out of pocket. It might be tempting to total it and buy it back for 1/4, but the downside of a salvage title is you won't be able to get comprehensive coverage. I just went thru this with an attempted theft of my wife's car a few months ago. Bit the bullet and paid a few extra bucks to keep a clean title.
    ​"The US Olympics bobsled team has renamed their sled 'Biden' because nothing has taken America downhill faster"

TheStigg (aka "gale")
    92 735i 5-spd, turbo pending
    89 535i 5-spd (may she rest in pieces)
    94 325ic 5-spd
    87 325is

My Cars
    '94 740IL 7/93
    Quote Originally Posted by TheStigg View Post
    Work a deal with the shop to bill the insurance up to their non-totalled limit and pay the difference out of pocket. It might be tempting to total it and buy it back for 1/4, but the downside of a salvage title is you won't be able to get comprehensive coverage. I just went thru this with an attempted theft of my wife's car a few months ago. Bit the bullet and paid a few extra bucks to keep a clean title.
    Try actually reading my original post? You missed the part where my title stays squeaky clean since it's only cosmetic damage. The payout is is actually higher, even after the deductible and buyback, than what the max allowable limit (70%) on coverage is.

Everything considered, I've decided the best option is to hang on to the car as is, and throw that payoff check into savings until I have a proper garage and/or the value on the car climbs enough.

If I hang onto it for another 5+ years, keep it clean and mechanically sound, get that paint job and throw it up on bring a trailer? Talking way ahead on all I have in it since I wrench my own vehicles, and don't cut corners.

Plus I have 2 cars a truck and 2 bikes, so the miles won't be climbing much. I think I've put about 1200 on the thing each year I've owned it.

My Cars
    E31-E36, E70, E46

Sorry to hijack the thread even more but..this is a combination of hilarious and absolute unadulterated idiocy. Man this is some legendary technique! I hope he has a 55 gallon drum of compound and about 11 pads, lol. That is if he doesn't end up wrapping the cord around his buffer and his neck at the same time and chokes himself to death first.. It was pretty obvious he was a novice when struggling to tie the two chords together into a knot of any kind
    Brian A Silverton, OR

'85 Euro 635CSi 5 speed conversion
    '87 L7
    '93 Euro M5 3.8
    '93 740i
    '94 850CSi #31
    '95 540i Msport 6 speed
    '96 M3/4/6 Euro 3.2l
    '03 M3 Cab
    '12 X5 3.5D Tuned

Unofficial 1995 BMW 540i MSport registrar (please see Facebook BMW 1995 BMW540i Msport registry group to join or report a sale)

My Cars
    are slow
    Quote Originally Posted by MMMEAT View Post
    Sorry to hijack the thread even more but..this is a combination of hilarious and absolute unadulterated idiocy. Man this is some legendary technique! I hope he has a 55 gallon drum of compound and about 11 pads, lol. That is if he doesn't end up wrapping the cord around his buffer and his neck at the same time and chokes himself to death first.. It was pretty obvious he was a novice when struggling to tie the two chords together into a knot of any kind
    When in doubt, add more compound.

xD

My Cars
    '94 740IL 7/93
    Quote Originally Posted by MMMEAT View Post
    Sorry to hijack the thread even more but..

Are you kidding? This clowns vid is the highlight of this thread so far.

My Cars
    '94 740IL 7/93
    Anyway, to update, my adjuster managed to bump up my valuation by nearly $400!

Was going to go forward with the total/buy back (remember I keep a clean title and don't have to report anything) and tore my house apart looking for my title to send in a copy, and of course it's the one piece of important paper I've ever had that has somehow vanished into thin air. 6 titles, including 2 scrapped cars from a decade ago, all right in the file where I keep such things, just not the one I need.

Heading down to the county clerk tomorrow to request a replacement, and wait somewhere around 2 weeks for it. Oh well.

My Cars
    are slow
    Maybe your car ate the title?

My Cars
    '94 740IL 7/93
    Maybe your car ate the title?
    That was actually a thought I had, haha. I think I might have taken it with me to renew my registration once, so I looked behind the glove box and ashtray, and every other storage spot obviously.

Luckily the second closest clerks office, which was only about 10mi away, was able to print a replacement on the spot today.

Unfortunately, I got an automatic response from my adjuster when I emailed the copy saying he's out of the office and won't have email until next Wednesday... Oh well, it's done. All I have to do is wait on the check which he said will print and be in the mail the day he logs my title.