Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My bolt-on dual-caliper setup for M3 using non-M calipers

My Cars
    LS E46

My bolt-on dual-caliper setup for E46 M3 using non-M calipers

Not willing to lose my parking brake and I started getting ideas swirling around in my head...

...sure looks like an extra caliper has room in there, but these are both non-M calipers.

So I got my hands on a spare M caliper and took an angle grinder to one of the non-M calipers,
    oh it fits in there alright! (The M caliper is already flat on the side, I have not touched it.)

Ground off just enough to make sure the pad is fully seated on the rotor, no more.

Onto the development phase.

Test piece in aluminum - just a couple things that need to be addressed before the final design,

- but it works.
    Last edited by Liquidity; 04-14-2017 at 01:40 PM. Reason: argh forgot to put "E46" in the title, can't change it either

My Cars
    4.8i E70; 1JZ E46
    Wow looks great. Are you using 330 calipers? M3 rotors?

My Cars
    LS E46
    I forgot the 330 uses bigger brakes. These are 325 calipers, I doubt the 330 calipers would fit.

My Cars
    98 328is
    Any idea if this would be e36 friendly?

My Cars
    LS E46
    Highly unlikely. The large rotors are what makes this possible. They're 328mm.

My Cars
    4.8i E70; 1JZ E46
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquidity View Post
    I forgot the 330 uses bigger brakes. These are 325 calipers, I doubt the 330 calipers would fit.
    good to know. 330 rotors actually wider than M3 and 325 rotors, so not sure if I can fit 325 caliper over my rotor. Do you think a 330 caliper and a 325 caliper can fit next to each other?

My Cars
    LS E46
    The M caliper is pretty much the same size as the non-M which was surprising. It's just taller to reach the larger diameter rotor. I can't imagine the 330 caliper would be bigger than that. But since I don't have one in front of me, I can't confirm. Most I could do is measure my 325 caliper and post the dimensions.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Rad! I might be in for a set of these once you get them finalized

My Cars
    LS E46
    Just measured the calipers, they're both exactly 160mm wide at their widest point. The M caliper clearly has a larger dia piston, but it's squeezed in the same size frame. I can say with almost complete certainty that the 330 caliper is the same. And seeing as the 330 rotor is only 6mm smaller in dia, that's only 3mm I'd have to make up for to get it to work. However, the one bolt is already right against the arm and I already counter-bored the adapter to .150" thick - so in order for me to get the caliper in another 1/8" I'd have to rotate the caliper another degree or so which would require more grinding. I'll make another prototype Monday and see how much more I'd have to grind off and if I'm comfortable with it. Originally I was just going to leave the spacers loose, but maybe I'll drop that counter bore another .050" and then I'll weld them to the adapter for strength. I actually wasn't planning to put these into production, I was just going to make a couple for me and and some friends, but if there's interest, maybe I'll make a bunch and send them out for zinc plating.

My Cars
    LS E46
    Slipped my mind - I'm sure the 330 caliper is also taller just like the M caliper, no way I could get two of them next to each other. But a 325 caliper next to a 330 caliper on the 330 rotor, that may be doable. I'll see if I can get my hands on a 330 caliper.
    Last edited by Liquidity; 04-15-2017 at 11:10 PM.

My Cars
    4.8i E70; 1JZ E46
    Thank you so much! I am a buyer if the 330 caliper will work with a 325 caliper. Prototype looks great.

My Cars
    LS E46
    So the 330 rotors are actually 8mm smaller, don't know where I got 6mm from, and I completely overlooked the fact that the 330 caliper is also going to be 4mm closer to the hub which takes up even more room. This isn't going to work for the 330. Sorry guys.

My Cars
    4.8i E70; 1JZ E46
    Well shoot. Looks like I'll need to go with a small willwood caliper of some kind. Thank you for checking.

My Cars
    2001 BMW E46 M3
    Mate!! this is genius. Ive been looking and haven't been able to find anything for an E46 M3 to run a 2nd calliper AND retain the factory e-brake setup. Have you got this installed and working now?

My Cars
    LS E46
    Yeah it's not too bad. I should have used a 5/8" master, the 3/4" takes quite a bit of force to lock them up. Using Hawk HP+ pads.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    That could be part of the problem. Hawk pads like heat to work and suck when they're cold, and your handbrakes not generating any heat.

- - - Updated - - -

and just to double check, this is an M caliper and a 325 caliper, correct?

My Cars
    2001 BMW E46 M3
    Yeah it's not too bad. I should have used a 5/8" master, the 3/4" takes quite a bit of force to lock them up. Using Hawk HP+ pads.
    Cool, Man i would really love a set of those adapters bro, any chance you have a set left or could make me a new set?

My Cars
    LS E46
    Quote Originally Posted by Novablue454 View Post
    That could be part of the problem. Hawk pads like heat to work and suck when they're cold, and your handbrakes not generating any heat.

- - - Updated - - -

and just to double check, this is an M caliper and a 325 caliper, correct?
    I bought the HP+ because they have the best initial bite without heat of all their pads, but they definitely do get extremely better if I ride the handbrake on my way to the line. And yes, they're just my stock 325 rear calipers.
    Last edited by Liquidity; 12-13-2017 at 01:38 AM.

My Cars
    LS E46
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkyflynz View Post
    Cool, Man i would really love a set of those adapters bro, any chance you have a set left or could make me a new set?
    Sorry, I actually only ended up making one set for myself, there was no interest since it will only work with the M3 rear end. I might be able to make another set if I get a chance. When would you need them by? I'm guessing drift season is just getting started down there.

My Cars
    2001 BMW E46 M3
    Sorry, I actually only ended up making one set for myself, there was no interest since it will only work with the M3 rear end. I might be able to make another set if I get a chance. When would you need them by? I'm guessing drift season is just getting started down there.
    Mate i would be super stoked if you could, no pressure but within the next 2 months would be great.

My Cars
    2001 BMW E46 M3
    Ive tried using the factory e-brake and it was completely useless, hoping you can find some time to make a set of your adapters, here i am last week, you can see i need a hydraulic hand brake to avoid always having to clutch kick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zflOggAJ20s

My Cars
    1999 328ic , 2002 325xi
    ^ If you really need a setup quickly I would recommend Massive Lee's setup. I have it on my personal car and its the tits. Its a bit more expensive than the solution in this thread but well worth the money.

My Cars
    2001 BMW E46 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Piner View Post
    ^ If you really need a setup quickly I would recommend Massive Lee's setup. I have it on my personal car and its the tits. Its a bit more expensive than the solution in this thread but well worth the money.
    Thanks, but massive Lees setup removes the factory E-Brake, i need to retain the factory E-Brake.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    You could also set yours up exactly like this, but instead of using the bracket just weld the caliper hangers together. A guy here did that and it works fine.

My Cars
    2001 BMW E46 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Novablue454 View Post
    You could also set yours up exactly like this, but instead of using the bracket just weld the caliper hangers together. A guy here did that and it works fine.
    Hmm, sounds interesting, do you have the thread name or link, i haven't been able to find anything.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast