Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: krvapa's E38 project

My Cars
    1998 BMW E38
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDarth View Post
    Goodprogress ...I bet your helper did most of the work!

Looks like like maybe Dino oil and maybe gotalittle hot by the looks of that pan.....
    Let's just say that he has other interests outside the workshop, but when I'm under the car, he's always there to hand me my tools

That's the problem with a car that has 120.000 miles on the clock from its previous owner. I have no idea how the car has been treated apart from the complete BMW service history. I'd wanna say that I'll shorten the service intervals with top end engine oil and see what effect that has on the condition of the sump, but honestly I hope that I don't have to take the sump out ever again. No desire to remove the subframe just to check the oil pan for dirt

Quote Originally Posted by jp5Touring View Post
    Verycool effort, I like the painted sub assembly.
    Thanks! Painting the subframe was one of the least expensive parts of the rebuild, but does look cool when it's on the car lift!
    Last edited by krvapa; 04-23-2017 at 08:54 PM.

My Cars
    1998 BMW E38
    There are times when the majority of words you'd want to write down will be censored

Bleeptuuttuutbleepbeepf**k*******

My Cars
    1998 BMW E38
    Anyone have an idea what car the one on the right is for? Also center bore 72.5, axle diameter is also 37mm. When I opened the box containing the two SKF packages, I already thought it was funny -well, not really haha funny- that one of the packages had been taped shut again. Since we don't have customs here, that was kinda weird. Delivery time was 8 days. Returning and getting it back again could mean another 16 days... Never again with these a$$holes!

My Cars
    1998 BMW E38
    Well, when I woke up this morning, I didn't see this one coming. Because I saw that the power steering/alternator belt had fine cracks, I decided to replace those as well. But that means I should also replace all the pulleys and tensioners. And then someone suggested that I should replace the dreaded plastic M52 water pump too, as well as the thermostat and thermostat housing. And that I should check for dirt between the AC condenser and radiator too. And that I should flush and replace the entire cooling system. And because I hate working in tight spaces, busting my knuckles, I thought it might be handy to give myself a little bit more room to work.

Hence...

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Tight spaces? Have you seen what a 750il engine bay looks like? Haha
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    1998 BMW E38
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyzabolotny View Post
    Tight spaces? Have you seen what a 750il engine bay looks like? Haha
    Wouldn't be easily tempted to do these jobs on a 750. I am very glad with my little inline six

My Cars
    1998 BMW E38
    Today I mounted the oil sump with a new gasket and some Dreibond 1209 as prescribed in the manual. The worst leak however comes from the faulty valve cover gasket. Oil drips onto the engine block, header, AC compressor... Next job on the list!

- - - Updated - - -

Since BMW no longer sells the mechanical belt tensioner, you have to replace it with a hydraulic version. When you order the old part number number (11 28 7 838 797), now you receive the hydraulic tensioner update kit instead. I'll try to post pics when I do the swap!

My Cars
    1998 BMW E38
    Although I still need to replace the leaking valve cover gasket, I wanted to tackle the oily consequences. I cleaned the engine block as good as possible.

My Cars
    1998 BMW E38
    Sandblasted and primed headers. Final coat will be on tomorrow!

My Cars
    '93 740il '84 633Csi
    Who was the vendor that gave you mis-labeled and/or wrong parts. Gotta know who to avoid....

- - - Updated - - -

If I understand your time line from the first post to the last, it's only be a few weeks. Tremendous progress!

My Cars
    1998 BMW E38
    Quote Originally Posted by Sansouci View Post
    Who was the vendor that gave you mis-labeled and/or wrong parts. Gotta know who to avoid....

- - - Updated - - -

If I understand your time line from the first post to the last, it's only be a few weeks. Tremendous progress!
    I have contacted the vendor and we are trying to work things out. I would like to give them the benefit of the doubt for now and see what happens in the next couple of days. When we can't come to an agreement, I will spread the word...

I started the overhaul a few months back, but only started the thread a few weeks ago. That's why progress has been a bit slower these days since I can only post pictures of what I have done that day. But I am trying to work on the car as much as I can. I am very curious about the car's new handling after the H&R/Bilstein install and the refurbishment of the entire front and rear suspension. I'll keep you posted!

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Where did the wheel bearings come from?

My Cars
    1998 BMW E38
    Headers have been painted. Although the piping is made from some kind of stainless steel, the flanges are iron. This means that the were quite rusty. I like this look better... I am thinking of doing the entire exhaust as well. Or would this be too much?

My Cars
    E30 E38 E46 E85 F150 GTI
    Quote Originally Posted by krvapa View Post
    Headers have been painted. Although the piping is made from some kind of stainless steel, the flanges are iron. This means that the were quite rusty. I like this look better... I am thinking of doing the entire exhaust as well. Or would this be too much?
    I think it'd look good all painted.

What kind of paint can you use on an exhaust manifold? I have seen ceramic paints claim that they will hold up but will be interested to see.
    2000 740i Sport | 2004 330xi | 1988 325i Vert | 2003 Z4 2.5 | 1995 Ford F150 | 2018 GTI

My Cars
    1998 BMW E38
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkitect View Post
    I think it'd look good all painted.

What kind of paint can you use on an exhaust manifold? I have seen ceramic paints claim that they will hold up but will be interested to see.
    I am using VHT header paint. I'm also curious about good it is. Wait and see I guess. The silver would look good on the shiny black underside of the car haha.

http://www.vhtpaint.com/high-heat/vh...eproof-coating

My Cars
    '01 740i Sp, '07 335i
    I have used it several times, can't speak for longevity as I did not like the sound so the exhaust came off before it's time so to speak. I found it a bid thinner than most paint so I got several flow indicators the first time I used it.....
    http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm71/krallopian/darthSigTest2_zpsn6zkw5id.jpg[/URL][URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/DFW7-Dallas-Fort-Worth-BMW-7-Series-Club/300942239566"]DFW7 on Facebook/URL]
    "The Last Great e38" 2001 i Sport - Born'd on date 1/01 Cosmos/Grey - 32.8K miles - 2 1/2 " Custom Exhaust, Center “X”over , Modified OEM rear bumper, M5 style trunk spoiler, M6 OEM wheels, M3 Steering wheel with working paddle shift & CF trim, Bi-Xenon upgrade, 13mm Rear sway bar added, SS brake lines and bronze bushings, Cross drilled rotors and painted calipers, Akebono pads, Zionsville aluminum radiator & exp. tank with electric fan, Sprint Booster, BluTooth conversion, MKIV Nav., Custom wood cupholder, DUDMD Tune, Orien V2.5 LED Angel Eyes, Evans waterless. Recently added grey faced //M5 Cluster - all gauges functioning. Changed the grey carpet to black and topped off with GG Bailey front/rear mats[/SIZE]

My Cars
    1998 BMW E38
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDarth View Post
    ...flow indicators.....
    Haha hadn't heard that one before😁

My Cars
    1998 BMW E38
    The engine protection plate was very dirty because of the several oil leaks. First plan was to replace it, but that would kinda hurt. Since 300 bucks was a little bit too much, I figured cleaning would do. I only replaced the mounting hardware. Good enough for me

Last edited by krvapa; 05-01-2017 at 07:28 PM.

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    Under tray turned out great. I would do several coats with the VHT paint should be ok. Excellent build thread by the way.

My Cars
    1998 BMW E38
    Quote Originally Posted by jp5Touring View Post
    Under tray turned out great. I would do several coats with the VHT paint should be ok. Excellent build thread by the way.
    Thanks! Progress has been a little slower the last few days because of work, but hopefully tomorrow the dealer will have the last batch of parts to keep on building. I love fitting new/good as new parts to the car. When this one is finished, I would like to get my hands on a more sporty BMW. That one would of course also benefit from my crazy obsession with perfection. E36 convertible or E36 M3 would be a nice addition I guess

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    The engine protection plate was very dirty because of the several oil leaks. First plan was to replace it, but that would kinda hurt. Since 300 bucks was a little bit too much, I figured cleaning would do. I only replaced the mounting hardware. Good enough for me

I was told you better leaving that cover off since it will keep the engine cooler and you will also see any leaks if you have any
    El Cid 1999 IL
    DUDMD Tune/DINAN CAI/19 in Style 95 Rims/Bilstein's Shocks/Eibach Lowering Springs/OEM Folding Mirrors/Custom Cupholder/Custom Wood Sunshade/Sport Steering Wheel/Euro Center Console/Leather Shifter/Rearview Camera /Luke Custom 10 in Sub Box/Cross Drilled Rotors/Rear view Camera/BMW OEM Monitors/BMW E38 Picnic Tables/Vanity Headrests/OEM Roof Rack/Strut Bar/Dinan MAF and Dinan Throttle Body and Dinan tunning /BM53 Radio upgrade /Custom Innovadrive NXG39 modify and Alpine ILX-W650 touch screen radio.

My Cars
    1998 BMW E38
    Quote Originally Posted by franco90 View Post
    I was told you better leaving that cover off since it will keep the engine cooler and you will also see any leaks if you have any
    Not much need for extra cooling here and there won't be any oil leaks once I'm finished haha!

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    Not much need for extra cooling here and there won't be any oil leaks once I'm finished haha!

lol I know that Just saying ,
    El Cid 1999 IL
    DUDMD Tune/DINAN CAI/19 in Style 95 Rims/Bilstein's Shocks/Eibach Lowering Springs/OEM Folding Mirrors/Custom Cupholder/Custom Wood Sunshade/Sport Steering Wheel/Euro Center Console/Leather Shifter/Rearview Camera /Luke Custom 10 in Sub Box/Cross Drilled Rotors/Rear view Camera/BMW OEM Monitors/BMW E38 Picnic Tables/Vanity Headrests/OEM Roof Rack/Strut Bar/Dinan MAF and Dinan Throttle Body and Dinan tunning /BM53 Radio upgrade /Custom Innovadrive NXG39 modify and Alpine ILX-W650 touch screen radio.

My Cars
    1998 BMW E38
    Cleaning parts...

Before

After

Before

After

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Love it! You make me want to tear apart my 40k mile e38 to clean everything as well so please stop it

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast