My Cars
    2000 323i, 2006 X5

Unhappy e53 corrupted programming of DSC Module

I have a 2006 X5 e53 that I had the alternator go bad on. I have been through a series of items and repairing them, including sending off the DSC module for repair. I now have the vehicle together but I can not get the trifecta lights to go off and the vehicle keeps going into Trans failsafe prog.

I have the BMW DIS/GT1 software and the only issue it shows is the DSC Module. I went to use SSS/Progman to reprogram the DSC Module and it timed out on me and I can not get it to program. Can someone provide me with any direction on how to get the DSC Module back to where I can reprogram it. It no longer will show "you have xx times left to reprogram" it just asks for the 7 digit part number repeatedly.

I have NcisExpert software or WinKfp. I have some gathered some rough data on how to use WinKfp but have heard it is unreliable. Please help, my X5 has been off the road for 5 months.

Thank you.

My Cars
    69 e3, 84 e23, 92 e34,

Bump for a good guy who needs his x5 running

Hope you get this figured out. You sound like quite the car whisperer.

Quote Originally Posted by hdflor4uft View Post
    I have a 2006 X5 e53 that I had the alternator go bad on. I have been through a series of items and repairing them, including sending off the DSC module for repair. I now have the vehicle together but I can not get the trifecta lights to go off and the vehicle keeps going into Trans failsafe prog.

I have the BMW DIS/GT1 software and the only issue it shows is the DSC Module. I went to use SSS/Progman to reprogram the DSC Module and it timed out on me and I can not get it to program. Can someone provide me with any direction on how to get the DSC Module back to where I can reprogram it. It no longer will show "you have xx times left to reprogram" it just asks for the 7 digit part number repeatedly.

I have NcisExpert software or WinKfp. I have some gathered some rough data on how to use WinKfp but have heard it is unreliable. Please help, my X5 has been off the road for 5 months.

Thank you.
    Thomas antwortete: Mein HERR und mein Gott! Johannes 20:28

My Cars
    2000 323i, 2006 X5
    I bought a 2005 not running X5 with the same engine and one of my brothers and I spent the day driving to Maryland to pick it up. Great Times! Pulled it's ABS module and put it on my 2006 and was able to reprogram it to my '06. HOWEVER, this did not fix the issue. Next plan is to reprogram the EGS/Transmission Module. Beautiful e34 touring you have there, not one that should stay hidden in a barn.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Sounds like the rebuild did not work

My Cars
    2000 323i, 2006 X5
    I had sent the 2006 rebuilt DSC module off a second time and it was tested and they said it showed as functioning.

I did an incomplete programming on the rebuilt module and I believe that caused inability to reprogram it. The Progman software kept asking for the 7 digit part number of the part being replaced, which would be the same 7 digits of the part I was trying to program and created a loop. It would never advance beyond that screen.

When I installed the DSC module from the 2005 x5 onto the 2006, I put in the 7 digits from the rebuilt module and it programmed the 2005 module just fine.

This makes me think if I switched the modules again I would be able to program the rebuilt module correctly; I would be able to put in the 7 digits of the 2005 module as the one being replaced.

So, my current situation is that I have successfully programmed and encoded a "new" module and the problem still persists. My next step in my plan is to program the EGS module and see if that solves my failsafe issue. Hopefully I can attempt this tomorrow.

My Cars
    01 Dinan 740iS, 97 318ti
    Before you program too much, TFS is 99% of the time caused by low power issues. Bad or dying battery and/or alternator. Have you checked all your electrical components for 100% proper function. I've had more than one "new" alternator be bad when installed. Along with the battery.

Trifecta lights, check all of your wheel speed sensors for cracked wiring, bad connectors and dirty sensors. If the module has been rebuilt or the replacement you installed are both good, I'm more inclined to look at the wheel speed sensors. Another item that can cause the problem is mis-sized/mis-matched tires. If the front to rear or side to side is outside of +/- 3% diameter you can also cause the trifecta of lights as the system is seeing it as a fault.

Hope you get this resolved.
    '01 740i Sport MKIV, Quad Brake Lights, OEM Bi-Xenon retrofit, LED Angel Eyes, HID Fogs, LED Plate Lights, Dinan 7 certification, BM53 radio, OEM Sirius, Aux Input, TCU Bluetooth, Intravee II, iPod, Strong Strut, Dinan Struts, Springs, Camber Plates, Intake, MAF, CAI, Exhaust and Throttle Body

'99 318ti Titanium Silver '97 318ti Boston Green; '96 318ti Alaska Blue (sold); '08 X5 4.8i Titanium Silver (sold); '13 X5 3.5i Black Sapphire Metallic (sold)
    '84 633csi Black (sold); '88 325iC Black (sold); '97 740iL Black(sold); '01 740iS Black(sold); '97 318ti Alpine White (sold)

My Cars
    2000 323i, 2006 X5
    Tires have maybe 10,000 miles on them and all were replaced new at the same time. Battery has been tested and tested that is was good. I have checked the voltage of the alternator after installing and it was holding above 13 volts under load. I had wheel speed sensor errors and replaced two of the sensors and that issue is gone.

I believe I have traced the issue to a bad sensor in the transmission. There is a CAN-bus error and it seems to involve the EGS (that is located in the transmission). I have cleared the codes repeatedly and will start the vehicle and it will light of the trifectas and go into failsafe. When everything is cold I will turn the key to the ON position and before I've even started it will get a Transmission Overheat message. I unplugged the connection to the mechatronics last night, turned the vehicle to ON and the Transmission Overheat message showed up but then immediately cleared. Are there sensors in the transmission that can be replaced or am I looking at a remanufactured mechatronics unit?

I have checked the Pins and the plug to the Mechatronics, everything is in place. 20170425_233725[1].jpg20170425_232643[1].jpg

My Cars
    2000 323i, 2006 X5
    Maybe a solenoid in the transmission has gone bad? The previous alternator was tested and one of tests seem to show that the alternator was putting out too much voltage. Maybe the voltage spike fried a solenoid. Hopefully it is just a solenoid. The DIS software picks up the EGS Transmission control, so it appears to be functioning.
    20161212_192059[1].jpg

My Cars
    2000 323i, 2006 X5
    Seems to be the EGS on the valve body that is the issue. the 6hp24z transmission has the egs module sealed to the valve body, so it looks like I may be dropping $2k on a rebuilt valve body unit from FCP euro. All their parts come with a lifetime warranty. Brakes, rotors, everything. I'm looking to see if there is some resistance testing I can do with the pins to make certain the issue is the EGS before dropping all those bones on that part.