Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: E36 - Sound cutting out. time for a new amp?

My Cars
    1997 E36 M3/4/5

E36 - Sound cutting out. time for a new amp?

First, my Rig

E36 4 door
    JVC Arsenal head unit
    Alpine MRV-F300(?) 4x40 amp (connected by RCA connectors to the amp)
    Amp in stock location in left side of trunk.
    Amp runs to ADS 535 separates through Xovers also in the trunk.
    Rear channels of amp power JL Audio Stealthbox Subs in the rear spots.

I noticed my audio cutting out for several second intervals though the power to the head unit seems OK. This occurs with all audio sources. I can keep the audio from cutting out by running lower sound levels.

Perhaps because I have the gain down on the amplifier. I find that I typically run the audio levels from 35-50 out of 50 on the receiver 20% of the time. If I keep the levels below 25. It seems fairly stable. I have been running this setup for

Is the amp dying and I'm seeing protection cutting in? Is it time to get a new amp? Might it be a problem with the head unit?

Thanks,
    Marc Plante
    E36 M3/4/5 193k
    Konis+ Dinan Springs, Understeer SS, Shepott European steering Wheel, ZKW Ellipsoids, ECIS Intake+ ATE Foam filter, Stromung Exhaust, Recaro SRDs. JVC Arsenal Head Unit. Alpine MRV-F300 Amp, ADS 535i components, JL Audio Stealthbox Subs

My Track Rig:
    i7700 / 2080 PC with Assetto Corsa and Content Manager, Samsung Odyssey+ VR goggles
    Fanatec CSP wheel and pedals, SSH Shifter, recaro seat. Home built cockpit
    Mt Pleasant, SC, USA

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

Cutting out like that and I'd initially suspect your wiring is below par and the amplifier isn't getting enough current for it's operation. Check, double check that you have the correct guage wire for power AND ground, check the quality of the connections as well, ensure they're 100% tights and not likely to become loose over time. Check also the amplifier has good airflow over it as amplifiers can and do cut out when they get too warm, so anything stuffed over the top and sides of the amp preventing heat escape should be moved away.

Confirm those aspects and if it still occurs, then check your amp by swapping for a good known one. If that cuts out, then it could be a faulty head unit, so check the connections first there, ensure enough current is supplied to it and the connections are good and secure. If it's still occurring, then swap with a known working head unit.

Finally, also check your speaker wire connections, a simple loose connections there can cause exactly this type of symptom.

Cheers, Dennis!