Thread: 2011 BMW X3: New to Bimmer family, need some advice

My Cars
    2011 BMW X3 28i

2011 BMW X3: New to Bimmer family, need some advice

Hey everybody,
    I am just working on buying my first BMW.
    It is going to be 2011 X3.
    I have couple queries before I make my purchase.
    1. I need to get pre purchase inspection done before I strike a deal with the owner. Can somebody out here suggest me the reliable autobody shops in EDMONTON, AB (Canada), where I can get this done?
    2. As it is an old model so I am looking to purchase aftermarket extended warranty. Some light on which one are good out there in market would be helpful.
    3. Anything or any particular problems noticed in 2011 3, I should be aware of?

Thanks a lot in advance.

I can only reply as to your last query. The 2011 was the first year of a major refresh/upclassing of the X3. They then basically stay the same until I think this year, but I haven't studied the website. I have a 13, with 6 cylinder gas motor, M sport, and the basic options. I have not had any issues, except a poorly designed rear hatch rubber switch cover which seems to go bad for many, with different symptoms. If weird things with the remote fob or switches not behaving, check out that one as its exposed to the elements, and can behave weird. Great idea getting a full vehicle check, pull any codes of course.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

My Cars
    11 X3 35i M
    If it is a 35i, the N55 engine often has an issue with the oil filter housing gasket which if left unchecked can cause oil to leak onto the accessory belt and cause that to fail. This belt runs both the alternator and the air conditioning.
    Current: 2011 X3 35i M-Sport, Deep Sea Blue Metallic, Oyster Napa interior, Afe intake, RaceChip Ultimate.

Past: 1998 M3 sedan, Cosmos Schwartz Metallic, Black interior, Euro 6-speed, AA Stage II TwinScrew supercharger, and a bunch of other mods.

My Cars
    2011 BMW X3 28i
    Cool, thanks

- - - Updated - - -

@najnad, Nope it's a 28i.

My Cars
    2011 BMW X3 28i
    I was driving and had set all my units as l/100km, in Celsius, dd/mm/yyyy. Today I started my car during middle of the day and what I see is that all my units have changed now and are in MPG, Fahrenheit, and mm/dd/yyyy.
    One thing I know I changed was my key fob, just to see if the spare one is working or not.
    Anybody can explain what happened there?
    Thank you

I have a 2012 35i. No real issues at 45K miles. Rear brakes wear quickly, but that's minor. I'd look for one that had oil changes more frequently than the service indicator calls for. I do mine at 8K miles. SI would be about 17K.
    '95 M3 S54 Track Toy
    '19 X5 40i M-Sport
    '16 Cayman GT4
    ‘23 GR Corolla

Quote Originally Posted by Rach2803 View Post
    I was driving and had set all my units as l/100km, in Celsius, dd/mm/yyyy. Today I started my car during middle of the day and what I see is that all my units have changed now and are in MPG, Fahrenheit, and mm/dd/yyyy.
    One thing I know I changed was my key fob, just to see if the spare one is working or not.
    Anybody can explain what happened there?
    Thank you
    Change back to the other fob. Many personal settings are kept stored for different drivers. I wasn't aware this is one of the settings that changes per user. Please post your result.

Using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2011 BMW X3 28i
    Quote Originally Posted by dano1200r View Post
    Change back to the other fob. Many personal settings are kept stored for different drivers. I wasn't aware this is one of the settings that changes per user. Please post your result.

That is something new to learn, I knew that the key fob has some sort of memory chip which is used to detect faults while servicing.
    Yeah I will change the fob and let you know if it reverts back.
    Thanks

My Cars
    2011 BMW X3 28i
    Quote Originally Posted by m3bs View Post
    I have a 2012 35i. No real issues at 45K miles. Rear brakes wear quickly, but that's minor. I'd look for one that had oil changes more frequently than the service indicator calls for. I do mine at 8K miles. SI would be about 17K.
    This one seems to have undergone regular service oil changes. Many people have suggested me to get oil changed at around some reading.
    And the previous owner had the breaks changed and upon inspection I was told that they are in excellent condition and good to go for couple years
    Till now looking pretty much ok to drive. Hoping it gets better and not worse. LOL

My Cars
    2011 BMW X3 28i
    Quote Originally Posted by dano1200r View Post
    I can only reply as to your last query. The 2011 was the first year of a major refresh/upclassing of the X3. They then basically stay the same until I think this year, but I haven't studied the website. I have a 13, with 6 cylinder gas motor, M sport, and the basic options. I have not had any issues, except a poorly designed rear hatch rubber switch cover which seems to go bad for many, with different symptoms. If weird things with the remote fob or switches not behaving, check out that one as its exposed to the elements, and can behave weird. Great idea getting a full vehicle check, pull any codes of course.

Yeah ran it through inspection guys. They said to go for it. It just makes squeaky sounds from some random parts inside the cabin. Might be because its an old car.

My Cars
    2011 BMW X3 28i
    Hey there,
    I have 2011 Maps loaded in my X3, I am planning to upgrade them to 2017.
    1. Is there a huge difference between 2011 and 2017 maps?
    2. Has anybody used bmwfsc.ca for any services?
    3. Do I need to get the software update done before I update my maps?

Thanks a lot in advance

Cheers!

My Cars
    11 X3 35i M
    Does it have the panoramic sun roof? That makes noise until you do a cheap fix (search for it).

Yes, the updated maps are likely worth it, imo. No, you dont have to get the software update, but still check for bluetooth updates, may help with connecting your phone. Search on here or other forums for people who will sell you the map update for much less than the dealer.
    Current: 2011 X3 35i M-Sport, Deep Sea Blue Metallic, Oyster Napa interior, Afe intake, RaceChip Ultimate.

Past: 1998 M3 sedan, Cosmos Schwartz Metallic, Black interior, Euro 6-speed, AA Stage II TwinScrew supercharger, and a bunch of other mods.

My Cars
    2011 BMW X3 28i
    Quote Originally Posted by najnad View Post
    Does it have the panoramic sun roof? That makes noise until you do a cheap fix (search for it).

Yes, the updated maps are likely worth it, imo. No, you dont have to get the software update, but still check for bluetooth updates, may help with connecting your phone. Search on here or other forums for people who will sell you the map update for much less than the dealer.

Thank You. I tried googling cheap fix for sunroof, din find anything. I am sure I am doing something wrong.

My Cars
    11 X3 35i M

My Cars
    2012 328i, X5 1994 325iC
    Quote Originally Posted by najnad View Post

Brilliant !!