Thread: Advice and guidance to window issues (replaced motors and regulators)

My Cars
    Looking

Advice and guidance to window issues (replaced motors and regulators)

Hello fellow forum members. I am in hopes you all can help me solve an issue my car has been having. I bought my car with some known intermittent window operations, and put off the repair until the driver side would not work at all recently. At this point I but the bullet and bought brand new motors and regulators for both sides while I was in there. So here is where I am at now..... and it's sort of hard to explain. Upon initial start up, the first 30 seconds neither window will not operate. Like no hint of movement at all, but then after said period it will work as it should with no hiccups at all until the car is turned off. The other odd thing in the said 30 seconds of operation, if I open the door and then press the switch to roll down the window not will work as normal.
    Many help would be great as I replaced and greased up all the guts behind the door panels.

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    First step would be to re-initialize both mechanisms: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...7-window-reset

My Cars
    Looking
    I didn't the whole roll the window down and hold the button for 10 seconds. I did the same procedure for rolling them up for good measure. I believe the motors have been taught their travel limits.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Coupe
    my guess is the body control module. Remove it and clean connectors then report back... Maybe if you can find one at the junk yard you could swap if cleaning doesn't work. also trace the wiring and connections that go into the door
    ()()===[][]===()()

My Cars
    Looking
    Okay guys. Just an odd update. Still have not solved the issue. One thing to note. Today while I was working on swapping out a short shifter. I parked the car with the windows down and driver door open, then proceeded to start working. About 5 minutes into the job with the car off and keys out of the ignition, the windows just roll up on their own. From fully open to fully closed. It's the weirdest thing.

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcreech0 View Post
    Okay guys. Just an odd update. Still have not solved the issue. One thing to note. Today while I was working on swapping out a short shifter. I parked the car with the windows down and driver door open, then proceeded to start working. About 5 minutes into the job with the car off and keys out of the ignition, the windows just roll up on their own. From fully open to fully closed. It's the weirdest thing.
    Check your lock cylinder/door handle wires in the driver's door. I don't remember if these cars have the roll up and/or roll down feature controlled by the key in the door but if there's a fault in the wiring that controls it, that may be a good spot to start, or even the door jambs.