Bimmerforums Upgrade Garage The Tire Rack

Thread: Summer tires suggestion from someone knowledgeable/ break dust issue

My Cars
    E90

Summer tires suggestion from someone knowledgeable/ break dust issue

Wanting feedback on which summer tires I could put on my 09 328i xDrive coupe with manual transmission. I was thinking something along the lines of Perelli. Keep in mind this is an AWD vehicle with 230hp. I don't take pride in this being a fast car. Luxury compact sport. Mostly enjoy for the handling, but she will still scoot. When I'm out driving solo, mostly country driving I put my mindset in sport mode. Which is precision for me; shifting, handling turns whilst accelerating, ect. 225/45r17's. Suggestions anyone? Also I accumulate break dust rather quickly. I coast and downshift alot balancing between light brake pressure approaching stops. Any thoughts? New rotors? Ceremic brake pads? Thanks!

Hi for the tires i would say dunlops very grippy in the summer an the breaking unless u have calipers seized there's nothing really u can do about break dust its just one of those shitty things u have to wash off but dont use to strong of chemical to clean cause it kills the wheels

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Continental Extreme Contact Sport and Michelin PSS for summer. Michelin PS AS4 if you want all season. All non run flat. Can't help with RF tires. There are cheaper tires, but these are among the best.

Use ceramic brake pads for less dust.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Can't go wrong with Michelin PSS. Probably the best summer street tire you can buy, and does great in rain too. Just don't drive it in snow and you're fine.

For brakes, the stock pads always tend to be pretty dusty. If it bothers you, you can try switching to aftermarket pads. Many of the higher performance aftermarket street pads will have less initial/cold bite but better heat tolerance and modulation, along with less dust.
    Last edited by TostitoBandito; 04-10-2017 at 04:48 PM.

My Cars
    2005 BMW 330Ci Coupe
    Continental and Pirelli are the way to go, regarding brake dust if you really can't stand it go with Akebono Brake Pads and Zimmerman Rotors. Main reason it's so much dust is that the rotors AND the break pads BOTH wear down together. In my opinion Genuine BMW Brake Pads and rotors offer the best performance. If you want to keep that original performance route then you should make a little time to take each tire off, DEEP CLEAN it, and add a couple layers of wax. Brake dust will literally rinse off

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    I've had really good success with Hankook Ventus V12 - plus they have a great rebate going on until the end of May.

-Dmitry
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    Conti DWs are very solid summer tires. Quiet, comfy, good grip, excellent in the rain. You don't need an ultra/max/comp/extreme! tire that lasts 6k miles on a daily driver, imo.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by TXBDan View Post
    Conti DWs are very solid summer tires. Quiet, comfy, good grip, excellent in the rain. You don't need an ultra/max/comp/extreme! tire that lasts 6k miles on a daily driver, imo.
    None of the tires suggested here are in that category (extreme performance summer). Those are basically street legal track/autox tires with 200 treadwear. They can still last 10-20K on the street, but aren't optimal for rain or other adverse weather and can't be driven in temps under 50 degrees due to the rubber compound becoming brittle. Few warranties on mileage to be found here. Popular examples include Dunlop star specs, Hankook RS3/RS4, and Bridgestone RE71R.

Next there's the "max performance category". These are still summer tires (so no snow), but can be driven safely in all above freezing weather and have at least a 300 treadwear. They'll last at least 20-30K on the street, depending on setup and driving style, and most have warranties to match. Examples include Michelin Pilot Super Sport and PS2, Hankook Ventus V12, and Continental ExtremeContact.

Below that you've basically got your mainstream "normal car" tires. However, if you've got any sort of high performance car or like to drive in a spirited manner, I'd strongly recommend summer tires in the max performance category for the street. You'll get more grip and performance out of them, at the cost of a few miles (maybe only 30K instead of 40K). For all seasons, I'd suggest that top category (usually ultra-high performance). There are many great tires there which are great in rain and even snow, and still offer great dry grip and can even do limited track duty.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I have run Michelin PS2 (the newer PS3 and PS4 are better) and PSS, Conti DW, and am about to buy a couple of sets of the new Conti Extreme Contact Sport.

You could save a bit of money and try something interesting like the Firestone Indy 500, which is a rebadged Bridgestone S02. I'd try that before another set of DW.

You can run the 200 treadwear tires no problem in 3 season use. I have run them right down to freezing temps, driven them in the rain, etc. Sure, they hydroplane at lower speeds, but they also put more rubber on the road and stick better in hot dry weather. I have run the Star Specs and predecessor to the RE71. Honestly, these tires ride harder, make more noise, and don't last as long so for a street car, I don't think they are worth the extra money and compromises. The affordable one might be the RS3 or new RS4 or maybe the Firestone RSR-R. If it is a street track car, these are the tires I would run.

The only tires I don't drive once it steadily gets below freezing and store in a heated basement are R compounds, and those usually have a treadwear of 100 or less. Still, you can get 10k out of them in street driving depending on the car and driver, and that might be 2-3 years for some. Track use will eat them up exponentially faster.

I have not run all seasons in years, but the ones that seem to get the best reviews are the Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+. It apparently performs on par with some of the lesser summer tires. Has a 500 treadwear warranty, but my experience is that tires tend to get hard and noisy with age and mileage and I am not sure I would want to own them on a performance car at say, 50k miles of use. But for others, they may be fine and a good value. They are on the expensive side.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    My car is daily driven all year round, and also tracked during the summer. I run the Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ all seasons on my stock wheels during the rainy/cold season from October/November - April (had multiple sets, they're great tires). I'm about to put a set of Hankook R-S4's on my wider/lighter Apex wheels for summer driving and track duty until it gets cold again.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Would you, as a performance minded driver, be ok with the AS3+ for year round use if no track?

Post about how you like the RS4. I have thought about the earlier versions but some reports suggested it needed heat to perform well, more so than a tire like a SS Z2, and I am not sure heating up street tires is always practical.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Absolutely. I previously drove on the AS3's year round prior to becoming interested in tracks and things. I even drove them on my first track day with no issues. Their dry grip isn't that much less than PS2's or PSS, and its lap time in tests is pretty close. Great for an AS tire.

Yeah the R-S4's don't have much information on them yet. I was set on star specs for a while because they're more durable than the RE71R's and do better in the rain than the R-S3's. From the (early) reviews of the R-S4's I've seen it looks like they should be a bit better in the bet, and a bit closer in dry grip to the RE71R's. The Hankooks do like heat, but that isn't an issue for me since I do longer track stints as opposed to short autox sessions. The tire needs of autox and track/HPDE drivers are actually fairly different. Autox people love the RE71R because it's super sticky from the get-go, but you could destroy a set of those on a track in just a day or two. I'll definitely post a review here after I've had a chance to take the R-S4's out a couple times, and also my impressions of them on the street.
    Last edited by TostitoBandito; 04-14-2017 at 12:51 PM.