Thread: Convertible roof issue

My Cars
    323i convertible

Convertible roof issue

Hi. I own a 323i convertible. I had blocked drain holes and as a result my boot was full of water. In order to fix this issue I had to open my roof half way to gain access to the drainage holes. The roof was left in the half up position for a while (supported) but I couldn't shut it again. Now it will not work at all. When I start my car I get three clicks in the back. After the three clicks I used to hear the wherr of the cvm unit for the roof just momentarily. In the past the roof has always work d after hearing that wherr. I now get the clicks but no wherr. If I push the roof up button the light comes on but goes off again when I let go. I have also had it start to open only to stop a little way up forcing me to disengage the motor and put up manually. What could be the issue here? any help greatly appreciated.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    It sounds like the top needs to be timed. Though I don't know how. Some of the motors have a release lever from the gear box. So swing the motor out manually put the top up and Push the motor back in? The motor may be hinged so it releases easy

My Cars
    323i convertible
    Jclausen, thanks for your reply. Mine hasn't got a release lever as such but instead has an Alan key fitting. I have to put the Alan key in and turn so I can push the button in which disengages the motor. Then I have to reinsert the Alan key and twist to pop the button back up to re-engage the motor. But having gone through this procedure a couple of times it still makes no difference.