Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: e36 verty ski pass sub box install fail

My Cars
    1997 328ic

e36 verty ski pass sub box install fail

Could someone with this setup chime in here pls? I had ordered the below setup from UK ebay and had the local audio shop install it and an amp, although they had originally warned me that the ski pass enclosure looks small for good bass. They had earlier installed my headunit is Kenwood with a separate sub channel. The setup looks very nice, but unfortunately doesn’t sound great. There are certain songs that have crisp kick, but most of the tracks have dull base and if I turn up sub level it gets easily distorted/rattled. Overall, very disappointing experience considering how much money went into it, but I didn’t mind if it worked well considering how well it fits into ski pass. I wasn’t looking for anything bone rattling, just a nice bass from the back. Is there anything I should check or replace to fix the situation or is it just pure physics of small enclosure? I can check the exact HU model and the amp kind, but I do trust the shop in components selection. I probably would’ve been better off with self powered 8” bazooka. Has anyone gotten this setup to work nicely? In e36/46 vert?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E36-Conv...3D262351114156
    m50 mani / AA c38-81 stage 2 / 12psi / AEM progressive w/m kit / stg3 SB endurance clutch + SS / 3.38 LSD / cdv + asc delete / stromung catback + cat delete / ebay coilovers + GC RSMs / square CSL wheels / ski-pass 8" sub

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

I'll assume that the head unit is connected to the amplifier via the RCA socket? if so, what's the RMS power of the amplifier? also, check the Gain level and the bass level assuming it has one. Also, what brand is the amplifier? is it a similar high quality brand such as Kenwood? Alpine, Sony etc? or is it a budget brand? or even a obscure or not well known brand/unbranded unit from ebay/Far east ?

'Distortion' is where the signal 'clips' past a working safe level and can be prior to the amplification stage and after. In your case and what you've described, I'm leaning to your amplifier levels not being set well/properly. Also check the 'bass' and 'Loudness' settings on the head unit. Turn things down and retry.

The place you purchased from is a few miles from where I live, and I know the owners of the company very well, have no doubts about the company, they're highly reputable. I'm scratching my head as to why you purchased in the UK as a good local reputable car audio fabricator/dealer/installer would have been able to easily make one up for you. The subwoofer itself would likely have been cheaper in the US too - but it's done now. I don't think it's anything to do with the physics of a small enclosure. The reason is in my E39 Touring I had a custom enclosure made up for the phenomenal sounding JL Audio 8W3-V3 8 inch subwoofer I use. To make it fit very stealthily I used a enclosure perhaps 20% smaller than the smallest recommended volume JL audio say. To compensate, I've stuffed it with acoustic wool which has the 'effect' of making the subwoofer work as 'if' it was in a larger enclosure. I power it via an excellent quality Arc Audio amplifier at 300W RMS and I get phenomenal, controlled, smooth, musical, tight and powerful sub bass.

Rattles, do you mean components in your car rattel? trim etc? you'd need to look to see what rattles and perhaps utilize sound deadening material.

Overall, it 'sounds' as though your installer isn't so experienced or knowledgeable if they've not said the same as I have above as they're fundamental aspects to when it comes to installing and getting the aspects you are unhappy with. I'd suggest taking to another more reputable installer and comparing the above with what they say in comparison to your current installer.

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    1997 328ic
    Hey Dennis thanks for your reply. The box is actually is quality and installed did a clean job of putting everything together. I was just wondering if stuffing 8" 250RMS sub is too much for that box. In any case sounds is better today more live and bouncy. Maybe there is break in period? Here are some pics of install

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    m50 mani / AA c38-81 stage 2 / 12psi / AEM progressive w/m kit / stg3 SB endurance clutch + SS / 3.38 LSD / cdv + asc delete / stromung catback + cat delete / ebay coilovers + GC RSMs / square CSL wheels / ski-pass 8" sub

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

As per my initial message, you'll need to change the settings and perhaps also add the acoustic wool. Try those and see how you go. an 8 inch driver in that enclosure is fine.

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    1997 328ic
    Thanks Dennis. I will look into this amazing wool you speak of. My settings are SUB =0 (range is -10/10) bass =1/2 to give rear speakers little more volume and loudness =0. EQ are preset to top40 (sad name I know) I'll read up on more fine tuning settings it has like distance and volume smooothing but the main ones are it. I think maybe my expectations were a bit high to begin with and I'm now settling into decent surround sound as long as it's not turned all the way up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk