Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Upper and Lower M Console Trim redesign and development! Taking over a dead thread.

My Cars
    z3
    5000 plus per unit production costs would quickly make these cost as much or more than OE parts

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3
    I put out a quote request for CNC and injection molded production, I will see what they end up costing.

For single unit 3d printing, the costs range from 60-250 for general printing materials. Because the ABS+PC part fails too easily, I think a nice reinforced nylon (Nylon+GF/GB) would be a good upgrade, however the cost is likely to be pretty substantial.

My Cars
    z3
    One major drawback I see to a CNC mold type production is it means we can only really make one type of trim (or pay another $5000 if we want one without a cig lighter, another $5000 to make a mould for one with a USB here or there... etc)

Now that we are talking about production it may time for someone involved in the project to spearhead a more production-oriented thread on the topic. With people who are interested signing up with a price they'd like and features they want. It will be necessary to find out rough estimates on demand and what people would be willing to pay as I think from here that will determine the best route to take regarding production methods.

Personally I'd rather these be available cheaply and plentifully - cheap enough to where I don't feel bad if I want to modify it for other projects (I've always wanted to see if an E36 OBC would fit in there somehow...). The OE ones aren't bad enough to where it has me seeking a "Zionsville" level of OE+ replacement. I would way rather have the flexibility to be able to say "I want one without a cigarette lighter and I want it CF wrapped so shave a mm off the top" and get just a plastic part then pay $600 for a carbon-kevlar reinforced titanium zinc-coated ribbed-for-the-driver's-pleasure trim piece. Maybe I'm alone in that though... that's why I think a new thread would be good to figure out what people really want from these parts. It's an opportunity to create something new and maybe I get carried away with my own projects but you could certainly do a lot with this... (heck you could even start talking about retrofitting newer model window switches, could engrave a shift pattern onto the trim piece like on old school sports cars, could replace the cig lighter with a spot for a small clock... I could go on...)

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3
    I agree with your sentiments. It may be that the most cost effective and modifiable option leads to 3d printing production that owners source on their own. With prices dropping and quality improving continuously, I think this may be the best route forward.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    It kind of sounds like the most cost effective solution is to buy the OE piece from a dealer.

My Cars
    BMW Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Venom13132 View Post
    I work for Rolls-Royce Corp (not the cars, that is BMW) so cant really contract out. I can moonlight a little on my own time. I do know an individual that has his own scanner and runs a private business with it. No idea what his rates are.

the files have been on GrabCad for some time now.
    Hey venom i know the files have been on grabcad i was just wondering if they are up2 to the printing stage or do they need to be tweaked a bit?

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    Quote Originally Posted by Sr20Tz3 View Post
    Hey venom i know the files have been on grabcad i was just wondering if they are up2 to the printing stage or do they need to be tweaked a bit?
    The ones I have hosted I think would benefit from some tweaking. I think the one that was printed looked good but wasn't great. I really haven't had any time to work on this unfortunately. I'm hoping to be able to work on this more in the fall.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3
    Quote Originally Posted by Venom13132 View Post
    The ones I have hosted I think would benefit from some tweaking. I think the one that was printed looked good but wasn't great. I really haven't had any time to work on this unfortunately. I'm hoping to be able to work on this more in the fall.
    Venom's STL file is pretty much picture perfect, you can see everything in excellent detail and it is production ready. The printing tech I used was free for me, and fairly low quality. If you went with a very high quality FDM, or SLA/SLS or other methodologies you would have a ready-to-use part that required only to be painted or wrapped to your color of choice.

My Cars
    BMW Z3
    Awesome good to hear thanks

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe individual
    Can we decide to make the file open source? It would be cool to make it from aluminium and machine turn or something like that.

Z3 & E36 RamAir systems, send private message for more information.

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    Quote Originally Posted by Remotion View Post
    Can we decide to make the file open source? It would be cool to make it from aluminium and machine turn or something like that.
    I hosted my scans on GrabCad.com you can do what you please with them!

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    Anyone actually making one of these? I need one like yesterday.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by CoachJonno View Post
    Anyone actually making one of these? I need one like yesterday.
    Some OEM colors are still avaiable and for right now getting one of those is the best bet and only sure way to get one

Sort of on topic for 3D files... I'm making some "Roadstar" keychains, like these, but for Roadstar wheels

If anyone has a 3d scan of a Roadstar, I can reward you with some free keychains (not a lot I know but hey...) or work something else out?

Otherwise we will be basing the design off just a bunch of pictures and I'm not entirely sure I trust that

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    1999 BMW M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyMaddox View Post
    I agree with your sentiments. It may be that the most cost effective and modifiable option leads to 3d printing production that owners source on their own. With prices dropping and quality improving continuously, I think this may be the best route forward.
    Tommy, my neighbor works at a professional 3D printing shop. They have access to a polyjet and SLS machine. Do you have the file for the double din bezel you could share? I would like to have them print one for me.

Thanks, Tom
    1999 M Coupe

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy1394 View Post
    Tommy, my neighbor works at a professional 3D printing shop. They have access to a polyjet and SLS machine. Do you have the file for the double din bezel you could share? I would like to have them print one for me.

Thanks, Tom
    only have a model for the stock bezel currently. The files are hosted above maybe your buddy could modify it for you.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3
    Does he want to make two sets?

My Cars
    1999 BMW M Coupe
    I can probably swing that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1999 M Coupe

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3
    I'll get that model sorted asap, what's the dimensions of your double din and bezel?

My Cars
    1999 BMW M Coupe
    I'll get that model sorted asap, what's the dimensions of your double din and bezel?

I don't have a specific head unit picked out yet, but probably Alpine or Kenwood.
    1999 M Coupe

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    or three?

My Cars
    z3
    Where do you guys move the hvac controls if you run a double din?

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    carac.jpgcarac2.jpgcarac3.jpg
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    The way i have seen it done is by moving it down where the 3 gauges are. There is a thread on here with some detail. I personally wanted to put a nice big screen in the car and some how make the AC function electronically but that would be one hell of a job in these cars.

Quote Originally Posted by s8ilver View Post
    haha

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, MCS
    Some OEM colors are still avaiable and for right now getting one of those is the best bet and only sure way to get one

Sort of on topic for 3D files... I'm making some "Roadstar" keychains, like these, but for Roadstar wheels

If anyone has a 3d scan of a Roadstar, I can reward you with some free keychains (not a lot I know but hey...) or work something else out?

Otherwise we will be basing the design off just a bunch of pictures and I'm not entirely sure I trust that
    Not sure if these are the wheels you are looking for:

https://www.the-blueprints.com/vecto..._z3_coupe_e37/

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    Quote Originally Posted by MarketMaster View Post
    Not sure if these are the wheels you are looking for:

https://www.the-blueprints.com/vecto..._z3_coupe_e37/

those wheels look pretty close even though the car is not an M that they have modeled. minimum you can buy is 25 credits. that print is 4 credits and the credits are €20.00 so whatever that is in USD. If I didn't have to buy a minimum of 25 credits I would probably download that just to have the cad files.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast