Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Upper and Lower M Console Trim redesign and development! Taking over a dead thread.

My Cars
    z3
    Is this dead in the water again?

SURELY, someone can make this happen???

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe individual
    Quote Originally Posted by raubritter View Post
    Just my own thoughts on this... but I personally love the brushed aluminum console trim my 3.0 has (see pic).

Attachment 599775

It looks classy (I think it looks a lot better than any plastic option) and yet is a lot stronger and more durable than plastic. So if someone could get access to a CNC machine, and cut out a flat sheet metal console panel (or 2 as in my stock situation), you could add different textures or finish and end up with something both more attractive and more durable than plastic... Just an idea.

And I wouldn't even mind exposed screw heads. Bolt-on pedal covers also have exposed screw-heads:

Attachment 599774

Just makes the car look more mechanical and purposeful. Anyway, they certainly wouldn't be worse than the gap between the 2 metal pieces on my console as it came from BMW.

I sometimes think about all the deteriorating plastic parts in my car... I would prefer to redo the interior panels in metal (plain or wrapped in leather) rather than just more rattly doomed plastic.
    I like your thinking.

Z3 & E36 RamAir systems, send private message for more information.

My Cars
    2000 m coupe
    I have access to laser cutting machines where I work. If someone gets me some drawing files, I can get the samples cut from sheet metal.

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Is this dead in the water again?

SURELY, someone can make this happen???
    not dead! Just been busy. I think I have some time tonight to move forward. The guy I knew at work with the 3D printers got laid off. I think a co-worker has his personal email I can get so all may not be lost there.

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    https://grabcad.com/library/bmw-z3-m...console-trim-1

here is a link to one of the smaller files I have. This is a .prt file. I think you can open this with solidworks or other software. If anyone has time to help with making the file a workable solid that would be great!

My Cars
    2000 m coupe
    I had no luck opening or importing the .prt file into my different software packages. I tried it in KeyCreator and Spaceclaim software.

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    the .PRT is an NX (unigraphics) File.

I can save it as the following file types here at work.

.prt NX UG
    .igs IGES file
    .stp Step 203 File
    .step Step 214 file
    .dxf AutoCAD
    .dwg AutoCAD
    .model CATIA Model
    .catpart CATIA V5 Files

When I get to my home computer I will see if I can upload a sldprt file.
    Last edited by Venom13132; 06-07-2017 at 01:36 PM.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Venom13132 View Post
    the .PRT is an NX (unigraphics) File.

I can save it as the following file types here at work.

.prt NX UG
    .igs IGES file
    .stp Step 203 File
    .step Step 214 file
    .dxf AutoCAD
    .dwg AutoCAD
    .model CATIA Model
    .catpart CATIA V5 Files

When I get to my home computer I will see if I can upload a sldprt file.
    Stp or igs would be great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1999 M Coupe

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    anyone have a chance to look at the files. I have been pretty swamped lately and haven't been able to get to it.

My Cars
    2000 m coupe
    I could not get the files to open with my software. I tried it a few times and would get an error while importing the file.

My Cars
    '87 M6 & '98 MR & '08 M6
    As another product idea - a dash top gauge pod would be wonderful. I think Randy might have a sample that looks really good. Another chap made a few last year that turned out great, but he's not interested in starting production of them again. Maybe someone has a template of those that can be used. Then a owner can have it covered in any finish or material that works for them.
    1987 M6
    1998 Dinan SC M Roadster
    2002 M Coupe

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    I haven't had much luck getting anywhere with my files. I know there are a few people who have good models that are editable but those people have seemed to fall off of the earth

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Ok, I think this thread is officially dead in the water again.

My Cars
    z3
    If you send me the files I will make something happen with them eventually. Won't be tomorrow but it will get done... my e-mail is the same as my username here, @gmail.com

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    If you send me the files I will make something happen with them eventually. Won't be tomorrow but it will get done... my e-mail is the same as my username here, @gmail.com
    https://grabcad.com/library/bmw-z3-m...console-trim-1

they are all hosted right there. Good luck!

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3
    I am working on the upper portion of the console, and will provide a model of the stock version and a double DIN version as soon as I finish. I've got access to the FARO EDGE scan arm and Design X software + Solidworks at my job so it shouldn't take too long to get it knocked out. I've already scanned and modeled some of it.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    It's already been scanned and modeled fully... no?
    It's in the link up there. I would take a look at it, but I don't want to have to create an account to that site just for the data.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyMaddox View Post
    I am working on the upper portion of the console, and will provide a model of the stock version and a double DIN version as soon as I finish. I've got access to the FARO EDGE scan arm and Design X software + Solidworks at my job so it shouldn't take too long to get it knocked out. I've already scanned and modeled some of it.
    great! Thanks for sharing. Check the files I hosted on GrabCad for the lower and see if you can make use of them. They were scanned with an ATOSIII Triple Scanner.

Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post
    It's already been scanned and modeled fully... no?
    It's in the link up there. I would take a look at it, but I don't want to have to create an account to that site just for the data.
    He is talking about the upper console trim not the lower. It only takes an email address to make an account with grab cad it doesn't cost anything. Just use a throw away email address and BS the rest of the info if you want to. Or tell me another place I can host the files that works for you and I can try that.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3
    https://grabcad.com/library/bmw-z3-m...aser-scanned-1

Check out my scan and mesh of the upper console panel I made yesterday and today.

It's not perfect, as I don't have the 250k setup that venom does, but they are usable IMHO.

I'll get right to work on producing the double din version, as that is the version I need.z3 m upper console.JPG

My Cars
    2001 3.0 Z-3 RD'STER
    Ahhh....some progress. Keep on keeping on. Some of us are looking forward to some positive results with the upper and hopefully the lower panel.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3
    Quote Originally Posted by MORRIE View Post
    Ahhh....some progress. Keep on keeping on. Some of us are looking forward to some positive results with the upper and hopefully the lower panel.
    A friend of mine is printing the lower panel tonight for me at no cost, so I will report fitment quality and such when that is completed. It's ABS FDM but with a bit of acetone, some sanding, primer, etc... it should do just fine. Same printer made a gearbox adapter I designed a while back for prototype fitment before CNC machining a $200 billet of 6061 aluminum.20170109_150643.jpg16641107_10210511424655046_8493398410881663330_n.jpg20170224_090456.jpg

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    https://grabcad.com/library/bmw-z3-m...aser-scanned-1

Check out my scan and mesh of the upper console panel I made yesterday and today.

It's not perfect, as I don't have the 250k setup that venom does, but they are usable IMHO.

I'll get right to work on producing the double din version, as that is the version I need.
    Nice work~! I tell yeah the lower quality systems are much easier to deal with the scan files. I don't have access to the high dollar software that we have here to make much use of the super high quality scan.

A friend of mine is printing the lower panel tonight for me at no cost, so I will report fitment quality and such when that is completed. It's ABS FDM but with a bit of acetone, some sanding, primer, etc... it should do just fine. Same printer made a gearbox adapter I designed a while back for prototype fitment before CNC machining a $200 billet of 6061 aluminum.20170109_150643.jpg16641107_10210511424655046_8493398410881663330_n.jpg20170224_090456.jpg
    very cool! I look forward to seeing more on this. I will try to help where I can. I am going to try and get your upper console file tonight and look at it. Unfortunately my daily driver wouldn't start today so I am going to be focused on getting that back running and having to drive the M every day. Once that is fixed I can focus more on the console trims.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3
    Quote Originally Posted by Venom13132 View Post
    Nice work~! I tell yeah the lower quality systems are much easier to deal with the scan files. I don't have access to the high dollar software that we have here to make much use of the super high quality scan.

very cool! I look forward to seeing more on this. I will try to help where I can. I am going to try and get your upper console file tonight and look at it. Unfortunately my daily driver wouldn't start today so I am going to be focused on getting that back running and having to drive the M every day. Once that is fixed I can focus more on the console trims.
    z3 m upper console 2din.JPGz3 m upper console 2din2.JPGz3 m upper console 2din3.JPG
    The first picture shows the mixed surface/solid modified entity created from the automatically surfaced body that was obtained from the meshed scan data. This consisted of filling the AC holes, filling the lower gauge holes, and enlarging the stereo and stereo bezel opening to the 2 din size. Next the AC holes were relocated to the former location of the gauge holes (with the correct diameter and spacing). This solid-surface mixed entity was then reconverted into a mesh (purple), and the two meshes in the 3rd picture will be intersected and merged to produce the correct modified 2 din panel, and then cleaned up for 3d printing.

Of course I will still have to make some test fit modifications to accomodate the AC controls, as the support ribs on the back will interfere with flush mounting.

My Cars
    BMW Z3
    Good work lads good to see this is heading in the right direction

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast