Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Upper and Lower M Console Trim redesign and development! Taking over a dead thread.

My Cars
    2001 M Coupe, 2006 M3
    wouldn't these work on the Z3? http://www.hardmotorsport.com/hard-m...bmw-e36-coupe/

Looking forward to see how this develops!

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    Quote Originally Posted by lapoune View Post
    wouldn't these work on the Z3? http://www.hardmotorsport.com/hard-m...bmw-e36-coupe/

Looking forward to see how this develops!
    the plastic bits would be easy, the metal that mounts the strap and pulls the door opening mech not so easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tib View Post
    A M Version of the OEM NLA 1.9 front and rear mudflaps?
    I would need some ones model of that. Or I would need access to a set of mudflaps and the geometry of where it would mount to the M.

I haven't been able to work on this recently, I was in Las Vegas last week for fun and am in Florida this week for work. Hopefully start getting some progress on this starting next week.

Looking into some mesh editing software so I can get my scans into a file I can modify. Trying to avoid drawing the model of the trim from scratch since it is a slightly complicated model. Measuring everything by hand definitely opens up a lot of room for error.
    trim_NX_capture.JPG
    Last edited by Venom13132; 04-25-2017 at 10:40 AM.

My Cars
    BMW Z3
    Have you tried using meshlab??

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    Quote Originally Posted by Sr20Tz3 View Post
    Have you tried using meshlab??
    I came across that last week. I am home now. So I will try loading that tonight and see what I can do!

My Cars
    2001 3.0 Z-3 RD'STER
    Do you have any plans to fabricate the upper panel that holds the gauges.....before I spend $167 for one?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MORRIE; 05-01-2017 at 10:09 PM.

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    Quote Originally Posted by MORRIE View Post
    Do you have any plans to fabricate the upper panel that holds the gauges.....before I spend $167 for one?
    yeah I definitely do. I am making sure I can get a quality lower before I buy an upper to repeat the same process.

My Cars
    BMW Z3
    Updates?

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    Updates?
    Been stuck out of town lately for work. In town the rest of this week. I am going to try and use that mesh editing software tonight and see where I can get.

My Cars
    '02 Z3, '09 Mini
    Just my own thoughts on this... but I personally love the brushed aluminum console trim my 3.0 has (see pic).

console.JPG

It looks classy (I think it looks a lot better than any plastic option) and yet is a lot stronger and more durable than plastic. So if someone could get access to a CNC machine, and cut out a flat sheet metal console panel (or 2 as in my stock situation), you could add different textures or finish and end up with something both more attractive and more durable than plastic... Just an idea.

And I wouldn't even mind exposed screw heads. Bolt-on pedal covers also have exposed screw-heads:

pedals.JPG

Just makes the car look more mechanical and purposeful. Anyway, they certainly wouldn't be worse than the gap between the 2 metal pieces on my console as it came from BMW.

I sometimes think about all the deteriorating plastic parts in my car... I would prefer to redo the interior panels in metal (plain or wrapped in leather) rather than just more rattly doomed plastic.

My Cars
    z3
    We want plastic on our M's because thats what they came with from the factory, painted plastic to match the interior, and the way the M interior is designed, the interior color flows from dash to center console to rear very naturally. Putting a different color metal piece right in the middle would break up the design and look odd. Its also not financially reasonable for most of us to get a whole piece made out of metal and if the plastic piece underneath is broken, youd need more than a veneer to repair it as the switches dont mount at exactly the surface. That might be a really cool option for non-M's, but I dont see it working for most M owners

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    We want plastic on our M's because thats what they came with from the factory, painted plastic to match the interior, and the way the M interior is designed, the interior color flows from dash to center console to rear very naturally. Putting a different color metal piece right in the middle would break up the design and look odd. Its also not financially reasonable for most of us to get a whole piece made out of metal and if the plastic piece underneath is broken, youd need more than a veneer to repair it as the switches dont mount at exactly the surface. That might be a really cool option for non-M's, but I dont see it working for most M owners
    Yeah, I agree. Going to stick with plastic for now.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M Coupe
    Any chance you can share the 3D models once they have been scanned? I would love to make a piece that fits a dual DIN stereo
    1999 M Coupe

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy1394 View Post
    Any chance you can share the 3D models once they have been scanned? I would love to make a piece that fits a dual DIN stereo
    Possibly. The dual Din is actually on my radar. There is a thread on here about someone else that did it. The hard part is moving the AC controls down. I have toyed with the Idea of taking the electronic controls from an E36 and retro fitting that to the Z3/M and possibly integrating the controls into the Double din screen. The hard part about moving the current AC controls is that they are cable driven so you have to extend the cables.

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    My main hold up is I cant install any of this software on my work Laptop (its a high dollar engineering laptop) due to IT. My personal laptop is not good enough to run solidworks or anything like that. So I can only work on this project on my desktop computer at home. I have been traveling for work a lot lately and have had lots of free time sitting in my hotel room to work on this but unable to do so because of my computer situation!

My Cars
    z3
    Retrofitting the E36 digitial controls is a lot harder than you might think. We are missing some of the actual hardware that makes that system function.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Retrofitting the E36 digitial controls is a lot harder than you might think. We are missing some of the actual hardware that makes that system function.
    I am well aware. It will take me going to the Pull a part yard and getting a complete airbox and wiring and controls from both cars and making a Frankenstein of the Z3 unit from the E36 unit. Definitely wont be easy, Might not be cost effective but its definitely not on my priority list right now.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Venom13132 View Post
    Possibly. The dual Din is actually on my radar. There is a thread on here about someone else that did it. The hard part is moving the AC controls down. I have toyed with the Idea of taking the electronic controls from an E36 and retro fitting that to the Z3/M and possibly integrating the controls into the Double din screen. The hard part about moving the current AC controls is that they are cable driven so you have to extend the cables.

I am running fusion 360, so let e know if you need any help. I agree the Heater/AC controls are the issue...I have seen several people get it working though.
    1999 M Coupe

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9 5 speed
    Quote Originally Posted by Venom13132 View Post
    My main hold up is I cant install any of this software on my work Laptop (its a high dollar engineering laptop) due to IT. My personal laptop is not good enough to run solidworks or anything like that. So I can only work on this project on my desktop computer at home. I have been traveling for work a lot lately and have had lots of free time sitting in my hotel room to work on this but unable to do so because of my computer situation!
    Can you remote desktop from your not-powerful-enough laptop to your desktop? That could allow you to use some of that spare time!

My Cars
    BMW Z3
    Id be interested in a blank one without the switch holes so i can install my own type of switches .. and the top panel a blank one with out the cut out for the cd player as i dont run one .

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeRunner919 View Post
    Can you remote desktop from your not-powerful-enough laptop to your desktop? That could allow you to use some of that spare time!
    I could give that a try. I am already out of town now so Too late to remote in. My laptop is only an 11" screen. I use two 24" Screens at home for modeling work.

Id be interested in a blank one without the switch holes so i can install my own type of switches .. and the top panel a blank one with out the cut out for the cd player as i dont run one .
    Blank wouldn't be too hard to make I'm sure.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by raubritter View Post
    Just my own thoughts on this... but I personally love the brushed aluminum console trim my 3.0 has (see pic).

console.JPG

It looks classy (I think it looks a lot better than any plastic option) and yet is a lot stronger and more durable than plastic. So if someone could get access to a CNC machine, and cut out a flat sheet metal console panel (or 2 as in my stock situation), you could add different textures or finish and end up with something both more attractive and more durable than plastic... Just an idea.

And I wouldn't even mind exposed screw heads. Bolt-on pedal covers also have exposed screw-heads:

pedals.JPG

Just makes the car look more mechanical and purposeful. Anyway, they certainly wouldn't be worse than the gap between the 2 metal pieces on my console as it came from BMW.

I sometimes think about all the deteriorating plastic parts in my car... I would prefer to redo the interior panels in metal (plain or wrapped in leather) rather than just more rattly doomed plastic.
    Something I whittled out several years ago, because the guy's switches were all dangling inside the console...

Cutting out the switch squares was a pain__in the wrist__but to do the entire upper or lower panels on a cnc (or laser cutter) seems doable. While for the car above, it was form followed function, but to have the whole panel in engine-turned aluminum, as Graham says, might be too much.

My Cars
    BMW Z3
    Venom how did you go with downsizing the file?

My Cars
    2018 X4 M40i
    Add me to the list of interested people. At some point I need to dig into my console anyways, I've had a loose set of connections for a long time. Tap the right side and the oil temp starts working correctly, and the volt meter hasn't worked in about seven years. My last experience with the doggone thing ended up with some really scratched up hands.
    2018 X4 M40i

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by raubritter View Post
    I wish I could fabricate steel and fiberglass, I absolutely want to replace the broken plastic pieces, especially that stupid interior pull handle, with something less sensitive to Texas heat.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast