Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Upper and Lower M Console Trim redesign and development! Taking over a dead thread.

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    IMG_0760.jpg
    IMG_0761.jpg
    So I took a brand new center console that I bought off eBay and painted it primer gray and put on the calibrated stickers so it is ready to scan in hopefully tomorrow at the end of the day. I don't have a good upper trim cover to scan in yet. The one in my car is cracked between the three AC knobs and I don't want to pull my console right now to get it out.
    The only benefit I can see of having the top printed is a cheaper alternative to buying new ones from BMW for $175 or whatever they are. I could see making essentially a blank top trim and bottom for those who want to cut and install their own switches. Once this gets going changes are just as easy as updating a copy of the model and printing it. Hopefully if I can get a quality product out I can print whatever anyone wants. I found a BMW black interior paint I used in my M on the dash and my upper and lower trim panels. They don't carry any of the other interior colors unfortunately.

anyway enough rambling. Hopefully I will have some screen shots of my scans tomorrow evening!

My Cars
    BMW Z3
    Keep up the good work.. Let us know how it's coming along

mherington is offline Passing Gas... BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    1999 Z3 M Roadster

Upper and Lower M Console Trim redesign and development! Taking over a dead thread.

It's interesting to me that the switch holes are not all identical, particularly #4. I've never had my panel completely apart to examine it in detail but I just assumed they were all the same. Hm...

M.

Ps keep up the awesome work!

My Cars
    '11 335is vert, '01 Z3M
    Great work and thanks for taking this on! Off topic question of curiosity: The calibration stickers seem randomly placed. Is there a reason for this? Do you have to provide the scanner with the exact x,y,and z coordinates of the calibration targets?

Thanks again!

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    Quote Originally Posted by sjdennis View Post
    Great work and thanks for taking this on! Off topic question of curiosity: The calibration stickers seem randomly placed. Is there a reason for this? Do you have to provide the scanner with the exact x,y,and z coordinates of the calibration targets?

Thanks again!
    I may have been slightly unclear. It is the stickers that are calibrated. The white dots in the center are 0.8mm in diameter. The scanner recognizes this and is calibrated to that. The stickers are to be placed randomly so there are no patterns. As you take each small scan it learns each dot by triangulation. The system is called an ATOS III Blue Light Scanner made by GOM

My Cars
    BMW Z3
    Can't wait to see how this turns out ..

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    got the lower scanned in.. here are some in action photos of the scanning system I have access to at work. Had to stay an hour after to use it though.
    IMG_0767.jpgIMG_0769.JPGIMG_0768.JPG

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Hey, your system configuration is unusual.

-Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    '11 335is vert, '01 Z3M
    Cool stuff! Does not look like an affordable home scanning solution...
    What software do you use for editing and 3D printing?

Thanks for sharing!

My Cars
    BMW Z3
    Look8ng good man

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post
    Hey, your system configuration is unusual.

haha yeah I was using 0.8mm calibrated dots with the 100mm lens set normally would use the 0.4mm dots but the system doesn't really care in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by sjdennis View Post
    Cool stuff! Does not look like an affordable home scanning solution...
    What software do you use for editing and 3D printing?

Thanks for sharing!
    That for sure is not an affordable in home solution haha. This cost roughly $250,000! I work in Aerospace engineering so lots of expensive ass equipment here at work. Lucky for me I used to run the scanner as my job when I was in school so I know how to use it and they don't care if I do as long as its after hours! So if anyone has any other parts that they think could be 3D printed that would be useful let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by mherington View Post
    It's interesting to me that the switch holes are not all identical, particularly #4. I've never had my panel completely apart to examine it in detail but I just assumed they were all the same. Hm...

M.

Ps keep up the awesome work!
    I agree. It made putting my car back together slightly difficult since I didn't know what went where and wasn't keeping all my switches.
    Somehow the wiring for my heated seats is missing in the console area. Next time my seats and carpet are out I am going to remove the wiring going to the seats as well since I deleted the switches and this is purely a summer car for me.

On another note! I was talking to a coworker that just so happens to build 3D printers in his spare time. He said he will print my first console for me then if its is something that is worth further perusing he is going to build me a 3D printer capable of taking on the task! I am open to other items that I can scan in and re-engineer and print, that people are interested in.

My Cars
    2001 3.0 Z-3 RD'STER
    Ain't technology Amazing? Over the years there has been numerous advances in printing alone. I for one am very interested in the top panel. Mine also has the infamous crack in it....just had it recently painted black and can hardly notice it, but I know it's there and there could be problems from that crack later. A new one cost $167 shipped. Sooooo when you get what's needed to crank out one of the upper panels, let us know. I am definitely a "potential buyer" if the price is reasonable. Thanks for taking on this project. You're very much appreciated.

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    Quote Originally Posted by MORRIE View Post
    Ain't technology Amazing? Over the years there has been numerous advances in printing alone. I for one am very interested in the top panel. Mine also has the infamous crack in it....just had it recently painted black and can hardly notice it, but I know it's there and there could be problems from that crack later. A new one cost $167 shipped. Sooooo when you get what's needed to crank out one of the upper panels, let us know. I am definitely a "potential buyer" if the price is reasonable. Thanks for taking on this project. You're very much appreciated.
    My upper trim piece has the same cracks, and ye,s I painted it black also. I am probably just going to front the $167 to get a new one to get a good model of it. My goal is to get the price of these parts down into the "reasonable" level. I think $150-$220 for these things is insane. Especially with how easily they can break.

My initial scan file was 7.5GB
    the .STL file of that was 4.4GB
    I now have it in an NX .prt file and have got it down to 1.2GB

I need to reduce the file size some more still haha.

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    Would it be ridiculous or impossible to make a cover that fits right over our broken console for easy installation?

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    Quote Originally Posted by Kram71 View Post
    Would it be ridiculous or impossible to make a cover that fits right over our broken console for easy installation?
    I think the best way to do that would be to create a single layer carbon fiber skin of a good panel then glue that to a broken one over top. That would be just a lot of work but not terribly difficult

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Roadster
    For concerns about the cigarette lighter, you can set one up in the trunk. Probably wouldn't be too difficult.

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Venom13132 View Post
    I think the best way to do that would be to create a single layer carbon fiber skin of a good panel then glue that to a broken one over top. That would be just a lot of work but not terribly difficult
    If anyone does that successfully I would definitely copy them. I know removing that console is a pain in the neck.

My Cars
    BMW Z3
    20170308_193858.jpg20170315_200205.jpg20170315_200534.jpg
    Hey venom this is what I meant in the email about custom cluster templates

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    Quote Originally Posted by Sr20Tz3 View Post
    20170308_193858.jpg20170315_200205.jpg20170315_200534.jpg
    Hey venom this is what I meant in the email about custom cluster templates
    oh yeah. That was actually on my to do list for the car!

My Cars
    BMW Z3
    How's the piece coming along? Happy Easter!!

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    Quote Originally Posted by Sr20Tz3 View Post
    How's the piece coming along? Happy Easter!!
    Haven't got too far on it. I have managed to get the file size down to a reasonable file size but I am having issues making it so I can actually edit the file. I may have to completely remake the file in NX or solidworks to get it so I can edit it. Right now as is I could print a standard not modified version.

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, MCS
    On another note! I was talking to a coworker that just so happens to build 3D printers in his spare time. He said he will print my first console for me then if its is something that is worth further perusing he is going to build me a 3D printer capable of taking on the task! I am open to other items that I can scan in and re-engineer and print, that people are interested in.[/QUOTE]

Unless he is going to build you an SLA printer, i would not even consider FDM AT ALL. IMO, it just wouldn't live up to the conditions in the cab. This would be a factor if i purchased or not. I would not purchase an FDM part.

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    Quote Originally Posted by MarketMaster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Venom13132
    On another note! I was talking to a coworker that just so happens to build 3D printers in his spare time. He said he will print my first console for me then if its is something that is worth further perusing he is going to build me a 3D printer capable of taking on the task! I am open to other items that I can scan in and re-engineer and print, that people are interested in.
    Unless he is going to build you an SLA printer, i would not even consider FDM AT ALL. IMO, it just wouldn't live up to the conditions in the cab. This would be a factor if i purchased or not. I would not purchase an FDM part.
    So I am also looking into possibly make a mold of the trim then potentially casting it in resin with carbon fiber chop for strength. The 3D printing would allow me to make modified pieces to make molds for casting. Would be more work but you are correct it would be a much stronger product.

My Cars
    BMW Z3
    You should print an original to see how that comes out .

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Roadster
    The door panel pieces that hold the little clip retailers and maybe some solution for the stupid interior handle design would be nice to at least have scans of.

I don't really understand why the interior handles (for pulling doors shut) were made with the main stress points made of thin plastic and with the rear portion attached to the panel and not the door or a steel bracket. The BMW Z3 is the only car I have ever seen with the handles not actually bolted to steel or the actual door skeleton. Heck, even Ford and GM do it better, not to mention I have yet to see a Dodge missing an interior handle.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast