Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Upper and Lower M Console Trim redesign and development! Taking over a dead thread.

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive

Upper and Lower M Console Trim redesign and development! Taking over a dead thread.

DOWNLOADABLE FILE
    Quote Originally Posted by Venom13132 View Post
    https://grabcad.com/library/bmw-z3-m...console-trim-1

here is a link to one of the smaller files I have. This is a .prt file. I think you can open this with solidworks or other software. If anyone has time to help with making the file a workable solid that would be great!

Original thread started by Rabbi Doom:
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-console-piece

I am hoping to take his original idea and run with it. With the cost of 3D printers going down, and the fact that I do 3D Design work for a living, I think I can handle this project.

Goals:

Reinforce areas that are prone to breaking.

Put Clips or pins instead of having it screw in from the back for easier install and removal.

Provide a few custom options: Remove cigarette lighter? Add USB Ports... ect. Or just stronger stock replacements

After getting them made the main hurdle I see is color. I have a source for the Black interior paint (I redid my blue dash to black), but the other interior colors I don't have a source for currently. So if anyone wants to help with that I would appreciate it.

I am open to any suggestions, comments, concerns! Hopefully with some help from the community we can get this into reality.

Fred

- - - Updated - - -

I am currently out of town and am researching 3D printers. Can someone give me some quick measurements on both the console pieces? I just need rough Length and Width of each. No need to remove them from the car or anything. I just need to know what printing size capabilities I need.
    Thanks
    Last edited by BimmerBreaker; 11-22-2017 at 02:37 PM. Reason: added in link for download

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9 5 speed
    A suggestion - would be good to have a variant that takes the pre-facelift switches for those of us that want to swap the console but not source new switches.

My Cars
    z3
    I would not buy if it required screwing in from the front to install. The point of producing new pieces is to make them stronger so they wont fail so we wont need to remove/reinstall them again.

The few variants mentioned in the original thread are the most in-demand from what I can tell. And still I think color matching the OEM paint finish and color will be a lot harder than reproducing the piece. That was a big holdup for Lindsey when he was working on these. Do you have any plans to address that?

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    I would not buy if it required screwing in from the front to install. The point of producing new pieces is to make them stronger so they wont fail so we wont need to remove/reinstall them again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venom13132
    Put Clips or pins instead of having it screw in from the back for easier install and removal.
    not sure where you got screw in from the Front?

The few variants mentioned in the original thread are the most in-demand from what I can tell. And still I think color matching the OEM paint finish and color will be a lot harder than reproducing the piece. That was a big holdup for Lindsey when he was working on these. Do you have any plans to address that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Venom13132
    After getting them made the main hurdle I see is color. I have a source for the Black interior paint (I redid my blue dash to black), but the other interior colors I don't have a source for currently. So if anyone wants to help with that I would appreciate it.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    I would think you 3d print the base, and then paint (or a strong epoxy?) over it? Just thinking out loud.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post
    I would think you 3d print the base, and then paint (or a strong epoxy?) over it? Just thinking out loud.
    I thought about something like that also a while ago when I was playing with carbon fiber skinning parts. Like leaving the "base" a few mills thin and then finishing with carbon fiber and resin could be cool and strong for sure.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BladeRunner919 View Post
    A suggestion - would be good to have a variant that takes the pre-facelift switches for those of us that want to swap the console but not source new switches.
    That could be done in the future if things work out. I am only focusing on the M consoles currently and they are all the same 98-2002 as far as I'm aware for the upper and lower parts

My Cars
    1999 BMW M Coupe
    Can we do crowdfunding to lock in the number of interested parties?
    Some colors are not available anymore, and the available colors go for ~$200 each.

My Cars
    Two Z3 Roadsters
    Have a Right Hand Drive version as an option for the parts of the worlds that drive on the other side of the road.
    1999 2.8L Z3 Roadster,
    2000 3.0L Z3 Roadster,

There is only one thing more pleasurable than working on a Z3, that's driving it top down on a fine day.

My Cars
    z3
    Regardless of screw or clip in type Id still personally prefer OEM attachments, as no matter what to remove the OEM pieces youll have to get access from behind - maybe provisions for both could be provided (clip into place then option to screw in from behind. Carbon fiber would be an excellent idea. I can provide samples of a few colors to you if you go forward with the project.

I think the best variant was the one that deleted the cigarette lighter and added an additional switch blank, doing this also allowed for more space in between each switch making the piece stronger. A lot of people use the cig lighter for phone chargers and Lindsey's USB charger switches were a good alternate for that purpose.

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    A consideration regarding removing the cigarette lighter: that's where the M Mobility kit air pump plugs into. People without a spare might want to be cautious removing that.

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzz258 View Post
    Have a Right Hand Drive version as an option for the parts of the worlds that drive on the other side of the road.
    I would need access to right hand drive parts to make models of them. These will be printed individually so making changes is really only 3D modeling work, so that wouldn't be difficult really.

Regardless of screw or clip in type Id still personally prefer OEM attachments, as no matter what to remove the OEM pieces youll have to get access from behind - maybe provisions for both could be provided (clip into place then option to screw in from behind. Carbon fiber would be an excellent idea. I can provide samples of a few colors to you if you go forward with the project.

I think the best variant was the one that deleted the cigarette lighter and added an additional switch blank, doing this also allowed for more space in between each switch making the piece stronger. A lot of people use the cig lighter for phone chargers and Lindsey's USB charger switches were a good alternate for that purpose.
    My main concern with the screw in from the back (stock) design is I would probably have to drill and tap all those holes. I don't think a printer can handle threads that small.

I think CF is an excellent Idea, also. I was playing a lot with CF skinning last year. I still have stuff from that I can use to experiment.

As far as my clip idea, This is the only car I have owned that the entire console has to be removed to get the trim pieces out. For people who are installing gauges or switches and things more often I think it would help a lot. I installed some USB switches and one doesn't work and now I have to pull my whole console to adjust it. I wish I could just pop the panel out and fix it. Plus it makes adjusting wiring a lot easier.
    I think the people who want to keep their car stock and are very particular about that will just fork out the $220 for the stock piece. But also as I have said to others in this thread, These will be 1 off 3D printed so clips or stock screw in is just a matter of doing a "save as" on the model and changing those features really quick before printing. So to me little changes are really a non issue.

Quote Originally Posted by JWin View Post
    A consideration regarding removing the cigarette lighter: that's where the M Mobility kit air pump plugs into. People without a spare might want to be cautious removing that.
    Would not be a big deal to add or remove the Cigarette lighter since these will all be 1 off prints.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9 5 speed
    I would need access to right hand drive parts to make models of them. These will be printed individually so making changes is really only 3D modeling work, so that wouldn't be difficult really.
    The RHD parts are an exact mirror-image of the LHD parts, so I would assume (based on my zero knowledge of the subject!) that you could just mirror one scan in the software?

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeRunner919 View Post
    The RHD parts are an exact mirror-image of the LHD parts, so I would assume (based on my zero knowledge of the subject!) that you could just mirror one scan in the software?
    If that is the case then mirroring the models wouldn't be an issue. Will have to look into that more once we get to it.

My Cars
    99 Z3MC/00' 2.8 roady
    I would still want the cig lighter, that's where I plug my air pump into.

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe individual
    When my wheels crack I call flatbed immediately. If you suddenly loose air, it's not going to stay there miraculously with pump.

And, I love my started button! :P

Z3 & E36 RamAir systems, send private message for more information.

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Remotion View Post
    When my wheels crack I call flatbed immediately. If you suddenly loose air, it's not going to stay there miraculously with pump.

And, I love my started button! :P
    The mobility kit includes a tire patch kit.

My Cars
    BMWs: 1; MINIs: 1
    No it doesn't, the mobility kit includes some sealant goo that can be pumped into the tire with the air.

But that goo has a shelf life -- for those of you who haven't been maintaining your mobility kit, it's nothing more than a basic air compressor at this point.
    I like the unicorns.
    '99 Z3 Coupe - Jet Black/Black (1-of-114)
    '99 M Coupe - Estoril Blue/Black (1-of-82)
    '03 540iT - Sterling Gray/Black (1-of-24)
    '16 Z4 sDrive35i - Estoril Blue/Walnut (1-of-8)

My Cars
    2001 3.0 Z-3 RD'STER
    Original thread started by Rabbi Doom:
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-console-piece

I am hoping to take his original idea and run with it. With the cost of 3D printers going down, and the fact that I do 3D Design work for a living, I think I can handle this project.

Goals:

Reinforce areas that are prone to breaking.

Provide a few custom options: Remove cigarette lighter? Add USB Ports... ect. Or just stronger stock replacements

I am open to any suggestions, comments, concerns! Hopefully with some help from the community we can get this into reality.

Fred

- - - Updated - - -

I am currently out of town and am researching 3D printers. Can someone give me some quick measurements on both the console pieces? I just need rough Length and Width of each. No need to remove them from the car or anything. I just need to know what printing size capabilities I need.

Thanks
    The top panel is 8 1/2 inches wide x 8 inches high.......The bottom panel is 7 3/4 inches wide x 10 inches high

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshS View Post
    No it doesn't, the mobility kit includes some sealant goo that can be pumped into the tire with the air.
    I'm sorry if I don't understand the difference between tire patch kit and "some goo". All I meant to say is, it's not just a potentially useless air pump.

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    Quote Originally Posted by JWin View Post
    I'm sorry if I don't understand the difference between tire patch kit and "some goo". All I meant to say is, it's not just a potentially useless air pump.
    The kit didn't come with a patch kit. It came with s liquid sealant to plug any air leaks. The sealant (goo) has a shelf life and is likely no longer liquid (unless maintained) and will not plug any air leaks. I carry a plug kit but have never had to use it.

It sounds like any new parts which come about can be made specific to the purchaser with, or without the lighter hole.
    2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels. Looking for a new home.

2022 Z4 M40i, Misano Blue Metallic, Prem Pkg, Driver Assistance Pkg

2023 X5 M50, Phytonic Blue, Black Extended Merion Leather, Driving Asst Pro Pkg, Park Asst Pkg, Exec Pkg, Climate Comfort Pkg.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.8
    So forgive me: what's the point of all this? All I'm seeing is a lower to accept all the switches. With no new upper to do something interesting, I'm not sure why this is so interesting...

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Llama View Post
    So forgive me: what's the point of all this? All I'm seeing is a lower to accept all the switches. With no new upper to do something interesting, I'm not sure why this is so interesting...
    The OEM M center console pieces are notorious for breaking between the switches due to the plastic there being very thin. The desire to produce a reinforced piece for less than the cost of OEM (on a part fast nearing NLA status) is what prompted the original thread. The ability to make them thinner to be skinned in carbon or customized with different switch blanks or etc is just a plus.

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    Quote Originally Posted by MORRIE View Post
    The top panel is 8 1/2 inches wide x 8 inches high.......The bottom panel is 7 3/4 inches wide x 10 inches high
    awesome Thanks. I think I found a printer that will work. I just need to sell some spare parts to fund purchasing it! I should have a lower panel at the house today at some point so I can get it scanned in soon hopefully and start working on the models for the lower trim.

My Cars
    99 Z3MC/00' 2.8 roady
    My car did not come with the Mobility kit. So I bought the Dyno mini pump and Dyno pro plug kit.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast