0 0%
  • Custom

1 4.17%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stoptech BBK caliper color on Dakar Yellow M3

My Cars
    08' M5 & 98' M3

Stoptech BBK caliper color on Dakar Yellow M3

I currently have the front Stoptech 355mm BBK with black calipers.

I am going to purchase a set of rear Stoptech BBK to complete the setup but I am wondering if I should stick or black or go with another color for the calipers. Could anyone provide any comments or opinions as to what color best complements a Dakar Yellow M3?

Thank you very much for your feedback.

Jon
    08' BMW M5 (Alpine white/Indy red) - Dinan/Brembo/Corsa/Forgestar/Vorsteiner/3M/Dinmann/SMG
    98' BMW M3 (Dakar yellow/black) - Dinan/RMS/Vortech/Work/Denon/Brax/Helix/3M/Recaro/Stoptech/AST/6MT/3.91 LSD

BMW 325isA (gone but not forgotten)
    ACS Type II front bumper-ACS Type II sport mirrors-ACS Type II roof spoiler-ACS Type I rear apron-ACS rear wing-ACS pedals/dead pedal-ACS wood gear knob-ACS wood trim-ACS badges-BBS RS II 18's-TMS chip-ECIS intake/cover-RMS exhaust-Dinan transmission chip-ERT crank pulley-ZKW/DDEII/Phillips 6000k Hids-Kenwood eXcelon head/CD changer-Alpine sound field processor-PPI Art amps-MBQ speakers-Infinity 10' sub-Alpine 8070 alarm-Chrome trunk lid-Chrome gauge rings-In Pro smoked corners-BMW OEM clear tails-M3 mouldings-M3 floor mats-M3 door sills-M3 Lux wood trim-M3 rear sway-X brace-Koni shocks-Bav Auto springs-JTD RSMs-Front/rear strut braces-E46 front grills-Kamei eyelids-Kamei cf door handles-tinted windows-German ECC plate

My Cars
    ''95 M3, '17 M2
    I think some type of deep blue. Easiest to just stay black. Anything like red would be distracting.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    I'm a fan of black calipers. They go with any color, and don't look flashy and cheap.

My Cars
    Prelude-328-M3-4Runner
    Quote Originally Posted by crqflier View Post
    I think some type of deep blue. Easiest to just stay black. Anything like red would be distracting.

That's what I was going to say too. I think blue would work well if you wanted some POP to them, otherwise black looks good too.
    CBlock

My Cars
    '99 BMW M3 Coupe (Dakar)
    Maybe I'm tired or drunk......likely both but you wouldn't be changing your existing ones right? A gloss black would look nice man, especially if that's what you got going on up front already. All four need to be the same color regardless of color......in my humble bourboned opinion.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

My Cars
    08' M5 & 98' M3
    Thank you guys for your feedback!

Yes. I currently have a set of Stoptech front BBK with black calipers on my car. Since I've just ordered a set of rear Stoptech BBK with black calipers to replace my worn stock rear brakes, I started contemplating on possible caliper color choices for my car.

You guys are right. I think black or dark blue is the best caliper color to go with the Dakar Yellow exterior color. However, the only complaint I have is that neither color is very visible. On the other hand, I am not too crazy about bright colors such as red, green, yellow or orange, either.

What do you guys think about painting or powder coating the calipers in Subaru's Desert Khaki with black Stoptech logo? I think they're somewhat more visible but won't draw too much unwanted attention.

Jon
    Last edited by Baby ///M3; 04-07-2017 at 12:08 AM.
    08' BMW M5 (Alpine white/Indy red) - Dinan/Brembo/Corsa/Forgestar/Vorsteiner/3M/Dinmann/SMG
    98' BMW M3 (Dakar yellow/black) - Dinan/RMS/Vortech/Work/Denon/Brax/Helix/3M/Recaro/Stoptech/AST/6MT/3.91 LSD

ACS Type II front bumper-ACS Type II sport mirrors-ACS Type II roof spoiler-ACS Type I rear apron-ACS rear wing-ACS pedals/dead pedal-ACS wood gear knob-ACS wood trim-ACS badges-BBS RS II 18's-TMS chip-ECIS intake/cover-RMS exhaust-Dinan transmission chip-ERT crank pulley-ZKW/DDEII/Phillips 6000k Hids-Kenwood eXcelon head/CD changer-Alpine sound field processor-PPI Art amps-MBQ speakers-Infinity 10' sub-Alpine 8070 alarm-Chrome trunk lid-Chrome gauge rings-In Pro smoked corners-BMW OEM clear tails-M3 mouldings-M3 floor mats-M3 door sills-M3 Lux wood trim-M3 rear sway-X brace-Koni shocks-Bav Auto springs-JTD RSMs-Front/rear strut braces-E46 front grills-Kamei eyelids-Kamei cf door handles-tinted windows-German ECC plate

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Typically the best color is the opposing color on the color wheel. In this case, the right color is purple. Using a metallic purple would be the ideal masculine choice. This is the method behind my metallic orange caliper choice with LSB.

The other safe colors are Black and color matched Dakar Yellow II. Blue is not the right choice here, sorry.

Last edited by Braymond141; 04-07-2017 at 03:03 AM.

My Cars
    08' M5 & 98' M3
    Thank goodness that you're not driving a lime green Hellcat or a Lamborghini, or else you would be sporting pink calipers. LOL!

All jokes aside, I think purple makes sense. Which color would you suggest for the Stoptech logo?

Thanks for your help!

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
    Typically the best color is the opposing color on the color wheel. In this case, the right color is purple. Using a metallic purple would be the ideal masculine choice. This is the method behind my metallic orange caliper choice with LSB.

The other safe colors are Black and color matched Dakar Yellow II. Blue is not the right choice here, sorry.

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Came in to say purple and there it is.

|1998 Arctic Silver M3/4/5|
    |Forged/Built S52|
    |Bilstein Pss9|
    |Fikse FM10 17x10r 17x8.5f|

My Cars
    ''95 M3, '17 M2

And then he'll fit right in with the local NBA team. Purple? Sorry.

My Cars
    M3
    I went with yellow for my calipers. Anthracite wheels and black car. I like it.

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by crqflier View Post
    And then he'll fit right in with the local NBA team. Purple? Sorry.

Yes, purple. That's called complementary colors. I did specify yellow or black as well.

Opposite of this

Use metallic powder to give it a more masculine look.

My Cars
    98 M3/4/6, 16 M3/6
    Put on Ambers and go orange. Thats what i did!

My Cars
    '17 Pilot
    Black. Purple? Ew.

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    I think silver would be nice. Black is kind of bland. Any other color would stand out too much. If that's what you're going for then go for it. Personally, I would like to keep them a non-distracting color. In that area full of silver and black, I'd keep it silver. Almost hides the caliper and lets you keep showcasing the wheels. That's my .02

My Cars
    98 AW M3/2/5

Where do Black, White, Gray/Silver come in on the color wheel? I assume any color can combo w/ these 3?

2006 CB M3/2/SMG
    1998 AW M3/2/GT35R

My Cars
    97 M3 Estoril on Dove
    Ugh no, throw that color wheel theory shit out the window unless you want your car to look like those donks with food snack logos on the sides. If you're an adult get black and have the stoptech logo painted any color you want. Make it subtle. The whole caliper does not need to be one obnoxious bright color. This isnt the early 2000s anymore..

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by htxestorilm3 View Post
    Ugh no, throw that color wheel theory shit out the window unless you want your car to look like those donks with food snack logos on the sides. If you're an adult get black and have the stoptech logo painted any color you want. Make it subtle. The whole caliper does not need to be one obnoxious bright color. This isnt the early 2000s anymore..
    Don't give anyone that "you're an adult" crap. Eff that.

I'm not saying I like all of these examples... but caliper creativity is happening NOW. Never have we seen more cars come standard with "big brake kits" in flashy colors.

"paint it black" lol.
    Last edited by Braymond141; 04-22-2017 at 02:27 AM.

My Cars
    97 M3 Estoril on Dove
    Don't give anyone that "you're an adult" crap. Eff that.

I'm not saying I like all of these examples... but caliper creativity is happening NOW. Never have we seen more cars come standard with "big brake kits" in flashy colors.

"paint it black" lol.
    lol Just because the norm look now is pushing towards flashy colored big brake kits coming standard on cars doesn't mean it's necessarily a good idea. Or always a good look for that matter. What it is, is a good example of car companies competing with each in ways that are inexpensive to change between different models. Also... look at all the horrible factory car trends in car history. Those were happening NOW, back then. If everyone were creatively jumping off a bridge to be cool because it's happening NOW, would that make it a great idea? haha anyways no personal offense to you or your ideas. You and the OP can do whatever you want to your calipers, but he was asking for opinions. So I left mine.

My Cars
    Black
    I'm stupid and wrong.
    Last edited by weedshoes; 04-29-2017 at 06:47 PM.

My Cars
    98 M3
    Purple, black or yellow all have my vote. I think Dakar is loud enough on its own though. Black would be my choice.

- 98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 124k and officially worthless - 89 m3, alpine/black 143k and officially old - 2000 323it, tiag/grey, 169k and officially boring

My Cars
    Black
    I think dark blue would look good. If it was my car I'd do satin black or silver based on how good the stock brakes actually look. Black if I want to hide them, silver if I want to accentuate them.

My Cars
    M3
    IMAG0301.jpg

I went with what I think is nice could care less what other ppl think.

345mm rotor fits on apex 17" wheel with 12.5 mm spacer for anyone that's wondering.
    Last edited by Mklock; 05-01-2017 at 03:46 AM.

My Cars
    08' M5 & 98' M3
    Thank you all for your comments and advice.

I decided to go with black calipers and I am very pleased with the way it looks. It took Stoptech a while to manufacture the kit but everything turned out great.

Jon

My Cars
    E30 E36 E46 E90
    You made the right choice.
    2011 M3 Sedan
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD LBZ
    1999 323i GTS2
    1995 M3 - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
    1990 325is
    1989 M3 - S54B32/GS6-37BZ

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo
    Hers: 1989 325iX

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast