Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Out with the Old (S54 Swap Inside)

My Cars
    95 M3, 86 325
    Quote Originally Posted by TH3 Shifty View Post
    So the issue is the bungs and not the primary tubes?
    The bungs are the major issue. The primary tube on the front header (cyls 1-3) is riding too close to the frame rail for my liking though.

My Cars
    2002, 320is, 328is, M3
    Why not just plug the bung and drill and tap a new one. Little work but it takes care of the clearance issue. Or pick up the oem ones as they will fit.
    As for wiring there was a thread by HakenTT a few years back and he had tons of wiring info. I found this useful on my swap:
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...a-tight-budget

Catching up and I will include that I had a 3.91 dif. Took that out almost immediately and have a 3.46 that is in the car now. Since it is just for track use and I do not hit the redline at VIR I am building a 3.64. Not saying it is the best but it is the direction I am going based on about 10k track miles on the swap. Also great time to convert over to Evans waterless coolant.

My Cars
    95 M3, 86 325
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra1956 View Post
    Why not just plug the bung and drill and tap a new one. Little work but it takes care of the clearance issue. Or pick up the oem ones as they will fit.
    As for wiring there was a thread by HakenTT a few years back and he had tons of wiring info. I found this useful on my swap:
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...a-tight-budget

Catching up and I will include that I had a 3.91 dif. Took that out almost immediately and have a 3.46 that is in the car now. Since it is just for track use and I do not hit the redline at VIR I am building a 3.64. Not saying it is the best but it is the direction I am going based on about 10k track miles on the swap. Also great time to convert over to Evans waterless coolant.
    That's pretty much what I've ended up doing at this point. Dropped off a set at the local exhaust shop and had them relocate the bungs. Front header required a little more work. Had to cut/pull it in, away from the frame rail and FCAB. Provided everything works out, should have it back early next week and then mechanical re-assembly can finally commence.

5 speed or 6 speed Cobra?
    Last edited by Reprisal; 05-12-2017 at 06:44 PM.

My Cars
    95 M3, 86 325
    Wow, it's almost been two months since I've updated this. Project hasn't died, but it's gotten a lot more difficult to work on it. I've recently taken a new job that has extensive travel all over the US (and recently went on a late honeymoon).

My friend has been doing a lot of the mechanical stuff while I've been away. Modified headers went in fine, and the transmission and diff are both in. We are currently waiting on the driveshaft. At this point we may finish up as much of the mechanical work as possible, and then transport the car to my place so I can complete what's left of the wiring when I get time.

My Cars
    95 M3, 86 325
    Gah, it seems like a month goes by before I get the chance to update this thing.

Ended up picking up the driveshaft at the tail end of a work trip. Buddy finished the last few touches (chief among them the brake booster and vac lines), and got the car over to my house.

Last few wiring things to work on were getting Andrews harness back in one piece, and then tackling wiring up the clutch and brake pedal switches. Two evenings of work. Done and done.

And as of last night, we got the car to crank, start, and idle for about 30 minutes. huge sigh of relief at that point.

My Cars
    95 M3, 86 325
    Bumpity!

Past month has been a mad rush to get a few of the panels (hood and front fenders) painted, and reassemble little bits of the car... although it's a bit difficult when you spend much of your time on the road.

Finished up the piping for the intake, ended up modifying a 45 degree elbow to fit the 4 inch AFe filter. Tucks in right behind the drivers side headlight. At some point I'll fab up a box to isolate the intake from the engine bay. Also, does anyone know if the Z3M charcoal canister is smaller than the standard E36 one? The intake is ever so slightly resting on it.

Ending up having a custom exhaust fabbed up by one of the best shops in the area. Dual 2.5 inch full stainless with cats, AR-25 resonators, into a dual in- dual out Magnaflow. It's all capped of with a pair of stainless ///M tips I found on ebay. Sounds mellow and deep on idle, and snaps to attention starting around 3500.

Only pressing concerns at this point are to sort a single CEL that popped up randomly (need to pull code), and a significant whine coming from the rear end on lift-off and braking (suspect diff or driveshaft at this point). Haven't completely ripped on it yet, but I can tell the car is going to be an absolute riot. I understand why BMW sent the neutered s50/52 to the US market... but man... this swap has altered the character of the car entirely.
    Last edited by Reprisal; 09-22-2017 at 07:53 PM.

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5
    Are you sure it’s not the diff?
    98 Estoril ///M3 4/6
    S54 swap CSL

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123