Thread: So, I think I've messed up.

My Cars
    1997 328is, 2011 E90 M3

So, I think I've messed up.

My '97 328is has served me well for many years now. So well that I decided it's replacement would be another BMW. I began searching for an E9X M3 with DCT. Long story short, I found one five hours away and was assured it was in perfect condition with 47K. When I got there the car started up with a nasty valve tap and makes all sorts of whirring and whooshing sounds. I drove it and was instantly addicted to the nonstop acceleration so I bought it anyway. Stupid, I know. I went to an event where I drove it hard for three days straight and it performed beautifully so I thought there can't be too much wrong with it. But then, on the way home, the OBC tells me I'm a quart low. Remember that I'm stupid, so I thought maybe it was a leak I hadn't seen evidence of yet. But I think I'm finding the missing oil, now burned, on the trunk lid. It's my first white car and I've been unable to keep the back clean. I thought it was just normal road dirt but now I realize it's there by the time I drive home from the car wash. How boned am I? Is oil consumption fixable or am I going to need a $15000 engine I can't afford?

My Cars
    '13 M3 Coupe
    Don't panic. These cars use oil, especially when running at high RPMs for long periods of time. I have an Interlagos blue car and deal with the back of the car as well - small particles that are difficult to get off.

I don't know what to say about the valve tap. The cars do make a lot of odd noises, but after a while you will get used to what's normal and what's abnormal.

Have fun!
    2013 BMW M3 Coupe : Interlagos Blue : Silver Norvillo : 6MT : Competition Package
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    pics of M3

My Cars
    1997 328is, 2011 E90 M3
    I do get paranoid. Especially when I've just bought the most expensive car I've ever owned. I also realize that nobody buys a new ZCP to go get groceries so I worry. I've gone down the rod bearing rabbit hole and watched a lot of videos of engines that sound like mine with some pronounced ticking. Some say they're normal sounds, some say it's a problem. I still don't know. It is nice to know they use some oil. I tried to tell myself that. My car came with a bag for a quart of oil and a funnel. Of course it was empty.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    The factory cold start is to heat up the cats and it is often noisy with odd raspy sounds, depending on outside temperature.

These cars tend to consume oil. Maybe 1L every 2k miles to 1L every 6k depending on how you drive. And some claim no loss. Mine has used oil for 7 years.

Rod bearings are a risk on these cars. You can do your own research and make your own decision. Best tech is at m3post. I changed the rod bearings in my car when the extended warranty expired.

My Cars
    2008 m3
    hey man, I have a white e90 m3 too and I know exactly the black stuff you are talking about although I have always assumed brake dust and have never thought oil. Not sure if that could be your case as well or if maybe mine has an oil leak too. Mine def uses oil, but if you read the manual it says expect 1 liter every 2-4k miles. However, this oil is burned inside the piston, it should not be leaking out of the car. Unless you are just meaning that the oil is burned, coming out the exhaust and then that is what is leaving a residue. That is very possible as well. Im paranoid about my bearings too and I just posted a video of a gnarly tap that has me sick to my stomach right now.

My Cars
    1997 328is, 2011 E90 M3
    Did you just get your car? I bought mine in March and here we are in late August and I'm starting to trust it more. It does use oil and make funny sounds but what a blast to drive. Oil consumption seems to depend on how I'm driving it. I'm not sure what shows up on the back but I've taken to hand-drying the car after a wash and that helps. With my old black car, I'd just pick a car wash near the interstate and blow it dry. I'm able to keep it clean if I don't come out of the car wash at 8400rpm.

My Cars
    No thx Not a Pixar Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by wildwildwes View Post
    hey man, I have a white e90 m3 too and I know exactly the black stuff you are talking about although I have always assumed brake dust and have never thought oil. Not sure if that could be your case as well or if maybe mine has an oil leak too. Mine def uses oil, but if you read the manual it says expect 1 liter every 2-4k miles. However, this oil is burned inside the piston, it should not be leaking out of the car. Unless you are just meaning that the oil is burned, coming out the exhaust and then that is what is leaving a residue. That is very possible as well. Im paranoid about my bearings too and I just posted a video of a gnarly tap that has me sick to my stomach right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by 15flounder View Post
    I do get paranoid. Especially when I've just bought the most expensive car I've ever owned. I also realize that nobody buys a new ZCP to go get groceries so I worry. I've gone down the rod bearing rabbit hole and watched a lot of videos of engines that sound like mine with some pronounced ticking. Some say they're normal sounds, some say it's a problem. I still don't know. It is nice to know they use some oil. I tried to tell myself that. My car came with a bag for a quart of oil and a funnel. Of course it was empty.
    Well Christ men please tell us you got a black stone oil analysis at least

My Cars
    1997 328is, 2011 E90 M3
    Nah, I’ve considered selling the car because I fear repair costs but I’ve been giving it hell. Maybe Blackstone is a good idea at this point.