Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In search of my first E30 -

My Cars
    N/A

In search of my first E30 -

Hi my names Nate Im an 18 year old from NewHampshire and I've grown very fond of the E30 design. Specifically the Alpine white 325i/is along with some other 325's. My first car was purchased from a family member for $1,600. It was a 2004 Toyota corolla with 90k miles in very good condition. It was clear i had gotten a heavy family discount and theres nothing wrong with the car but I don't love it. Ive always wanted a sunroof, i never drive with more then three people in my car, and i highly appreciate the minimal blind spots the 325 offers as a relatively inexperienced driver.

In short i can trade in the corolla for roughly $4000 and i can contribute roughly $2000 more so my budget comes to a low $6000 give or take.

Im looking for a reliable and aesthetically pleasing daily driver. Im not sure if i should buy one for $1500-$2000 and put in money to get it where i want it or to buy one for $4000-$5000 clean in the color i want and hope it runs well with some money aside just incase. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

My Cars
    325ix, 325ix, 540i
    Buy the best one you can afford while leaving $500 for incidentals. If there's anything that needs to be fixed (and no, I don't mind suspension and wheels, don't be an idiot) that costs more than $500, move on to the next one.

For $5000 you should be able to buy a relatively clean e30 with the timing belt done in the last 2-3 years. I'd look on the r3vlimited cars for sale section and craigslist.
    If your e30 runs bad, switch to Megasquirt first. Then try new spark plugs, cap and rotor, wires, oxygen sensor, crank shaft position sensor, coolant temp sensor, air flow meter, idle control valve, throttle position sensor, digital motor electronics unit, harmonic balancer, fuel injectors, engine harness...

My Cars
    1991 BMW 325i
    I went to college in New Hampshire.

Unless you only plan on using the e30 during the six months the state doesn't salt the roads, I'd hold on to the corolla as you daily driver. New Hampshire roads turned my friends rust-free e30 into Swiss cheese by the time we graduated.

Also, not to rain on your parade more than I have, but its very difficult to find an e30 that wont need significant maintenance for $6,000. I certainly wouldn't look for one in New England as they more than likely have rust damage which will bite you in the rear later on.

My Cars
    87 M6, 90 325iC, 89 iX
    I am in MA, born and raised in NH, and when I look for my cars I always look outside of New England (Texas, California, Washington State) for cars that are not exposed to our salted Winter roads. But, my cars, an E24 M6, 325iC, 325iX, are not year round cars. My winter cars are a 1995 Mercedes E320 and a 1992 Mercedes 190E.

How far are you willing to travel to get a car? The convertible I bought last summer was from PA, 2 owner, and stored in the Winter with ZERO rust and 100% stock. I paid the Buy It Now price of $3125.00 on EBay 15 minutes after it was listed. I took a huge risk buying it sight unseen without so much as a single Email asking questions of the seller. I had a "feeling" that this was a great deal and it was though I could have been burned just as easily. Nice cars are out there you just have to be patient and or be lucky.

There are several forum members from New England and if you find a car you need help looking at feel free to ask for our help. I know I'd be willing to give you my unprofessional help.

My Cars
    N/A
    Ive found some sellers in NewJersey, one of them imports from even further west which is nice.. id be willing to go on a ten hour road trip in any direction to get one honestly. I think it would be a fun experience. The dealer I'm most interested in is South Hampton Imports. they happen to have four or five cars in their lot that id be interested in (two 325is's, 318is, 325e, and possibly a 325ix). Also luckily its going to take a couple months for him to process the cars through his shop and put a price tag on all of them. we've emailed back and fourth and it seems that they're all going to range anywhere from $1500 to $8000 Also since i've moved onto a new job my budget has raised to around $9000. To address the rust issues with NewEngland i have a pretty large family and would most likely be using somebody else's vehicle for the winter. I also have access to a parking spot in a garage.

p.s. Ive never written on a forum before let alone this forum in my life so I'm not sure if this is going to reach any of those whom responded but thank you to those who did.

My Cars
    87 M6, 90 325iC, 89 iX
    Your budget is ample enough to get a nice, clean, well kept E30 if you take your time and shop around. I would recommend a 5-speed if you have a choice. Buy on condition and service records above anything else. If you do have a preference, 2-door/4-door/convertible/iX then your search may take longer for the right car. The other part of ownership besides finding a nice car is actually owning and maintaining it. Most of us on here do all of our own work and if you do not have the space, tools, and knowledge of working on cars then the E30 will be expensive to maintain by a local independent shop.

Other than a car coming from a specialty dealership, and even then I would want proof, plan on "base-lining" the vehicle with all new belts, hoses, timing belt/idler/water pump, change all the fluid, new cap/rotor, plugs, plug wires if suspect, adjust the valves, flush the cooling system. Make sure the heating and AC work as they should or budget to fix them. I would buy an as original car as possible so you are not inheriting anyone else's modifications other than maybe properly done suspension upgrades.

Don't rely only on a Carfax or other similar vehicle check to determine accidents or maintenance records as these will only show what is reported. Invest in having an independent garage do a pre purchase inspection that will look out for your best interest. Even if bought from a dealership I would want an independent check of the car.

Hope this helps...

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    I've said this before, but don't get a really nice example. Mechanically, sure, but it would be better to get a car that's rough around the edges and drive it into the ground (both figuratively and potentially literally). Lots of teens have...incidents, and you'll feel less bad and we'll feel less bad if something happens to a more beat-up car.This is 100% not personal, it's just statistical. Also, you'll feel less guilty driving a less-nice car all year if you wanted to. I drive my E30 all year and I couldn't be happier about it
    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one?
    Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

My Cars
    1988 325iC Convertible
    I say buy what you can afford and if your not mechanically incline I wouldn't buy cheap or rough around the edges You'll just end up putting more money into it.

My Cars
    E30 E36 E46 E90
    Why do you think that that Corolla that you have is worth $4k?
    2011 M3 Sedan
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD LBZ
    1999 323i GTS2
    1995 M3 - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
    1990 325is
    1989 M3 - S54B32/GS6-37BZ

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo
    Hers: 1989 325iX

My Cars
    N/A
    i tried kelly blue book and it said $4000 for trade in and a little higher for private sale

My Cars
    91 318is. 88 325 vert
    I second what Elva 164 said...

My Cars
    N/A
    Elva164 and DerBayer thats a really good point I've considered it greatly and so i think I'm going search for one somewhere in between the $2000-$5000 range and repair accordingly. If i purchase one at this price point its most likely going to have at least a couple problems but with the remaining budget i can still make it run smoothly and possibly a little more aesthetically pleasing. At this point in time I'm not looking for the cleanest e30 on the planet but im trying to find a happy median. I found a fairly clean 325i in mass with surprisingly minimal rust but the seller has yet to respond

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    Sounds like a plan, and thank you for saying "happy median" instead of "happy medium."

My Cars
    N/A
    Hey guys i would like to formally thank everyone that has contributed to my thread so far and has helped me! I think I've found "the one"!!!!

its a red 1991 325ix in very good condition for $3900 and its only a 22min drive away!

i would need to replace the front strut mount, but it's going to come with an extra along with a boatload of other extras as well! My corolla has just recently been posted to a car selling site, and now I'm just playing the waiting game... I seriously hope it doesn't get snatched up before i have a chance to take a look at it and potentially make a purchase. It covers all of the bases for me. The cars' exterior is in surprisingly good condition while the interior is pristine. The seller has already replaced the timing belt along with the water pump, front shocks, fuel tank, fuel pump, and a new muffler! I will keep this thread updated with the next post either being a let down because somebody else jumped on the listing, or that I'm a proud new owner of an e30! But for now the excitement is real.

shoutout to Kershaw, Sail Boat, 1SGDHORN, ELVA164, rustneversleeps, nick325xit 5spd, DerBayer for contributing to this discussion. Thankyou (:

My Cars
    325ix, 325ix, 540i
    In my experience, if you find the car you want, you need to drop everything immediately, go to the bank, and then go to the seller. Best of luck, and don't forget to post pics.
    If your e30 runs bad, switch to Megasquirt first. Then try new spark plugs, cap and rotor, wires, oxygen sensor, crank shaft position sensor, coolant temp sensor, air flow meter, idle control valve, throttle position sensor, digital motor electronics unit, harmonic balancer, fuel injectors, engine harness...

My Cars
    91 318is. 88 325 vert
    Wow, thats a great price for an IX...Similar condition 30s go for 5k plus in my area (california)..Congrats man, hope you get it!
    Last edited by DerBayer; 04-18-2017 at 11:05 AM.

323i E30 is offline ⅂!ʈө !ƨ l!ʞө ɐ ʇөlөbµouө
    My Cars
    M52 E30 touring & E91
    Nice, sounds good.

Get some PROOF of the timing belt having been replaced recently though. Receipts, pictures, whatever.
    The last time that I took a sellers word for it, it cost me an engine
    Since then I don't ask about the timing belt until I've bought the car, to get an honest answer.
    ^ true story

D̶i̶b̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶E̶2̶1̶

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    Awesome, good luck!

My Cars
    N/A
    Ok so heres the deal! Im going to get the car!!!!! Im meeting with the seller this Sunday to take a look at the car, test drive, get an pre-purchase inspection ect... There are some problems naturally, but the seller is very direct and seems like a trustworthy person. The car recently failed to start, and he told me the following.

"You’re welcome to have a pre-purchase inspection done if you would like but I’m also happy to go over everything I know about the car with you and show you everything I know that’s wrong with it. There is definitely still a little work to do but it has good potential. I have no interest in misleading anyone so I’ll tell you everything I know. Disclosure, I went to move it the other day and it wouldn’t start. I literally just moved it like 2 weeks ago and it ran fine so I suspect it’s a relay or something, shouldn’t be a big deal and I plan to fix it this weekend but just want you to know. I just went to pull it out of the garage and it wouldn’t start. I’ll keep you posted on that."

The asking price is $3900 but that was before we where aware of this new issue so what do you guys think i should offer?

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzila View Post
    Ok so heres the deal! Im going to get the car!!!!! Im meeting with the seller this Sunday to take a look at the car, test drive, get an pre-purchase inspection ect... There are some problems naturally, but the seller is very direct and seems like a trustworthy person. The car recently failed to start, and he told me the following.

"You’re welcome to have a pre-purchase inspection done if you would like but I’m also happy to go over everything I know about the car with you and show you everything I know that’s wrong with it. There is definitely still a little work to do but it has good potential. I have no interest in misleading anyone so I’ll tell you everything I know. Disclosure, I went to move it the other day and it wouldn’t start. I literally just moved it like 2 weeks ago and it ran fine so I suspect it’s a relay or something, shouldn’t be a big deal and I plan to fix it this weekend but just want you to know. I just went to pull it out of the garage and it wouldn’t start. I’ll keep you posted on that."

The asking price is $3900 but that was before we where aware of this new issue so what do you guys think i should offer?
    I think you should have the inspection done before you talk any more money. I'm a bit jaded as I worked on my sister's hateful iX for a number of years, but wait until you have the best possible idea what's needed before you decide what you're willing to pay. Assumedly the PPI guy does work also, so you can see how much the job(s) will cost and use that as leverage if it comes to it.

Oh, one more thing: Do not get overly emotional about the car and pay too much for it because it's there.
    Last edited by ELVA164; 04-21-2017 at 03:38 PM.

My Cars
    N/A
    I saw the car in person, and i have to say i really lucked out as far as the condition of the car goes. The seller was one of the most genuinely kind human beings I've meet in a while. They also happened to be the robotics coach of the neighboring Highschool to mine. With all of that aside the car is sleek. Theres a few minor scratches here and there along with some minor rust on the rear bumper, and driver side rocker panel. The seller will be re-replacing the water pump before i get it, and had paperwork proving the timing belt was replaced. As of right now the belt only has 400 miles on it. He's including an original 325 wing, a spare set of bottle cap tires, and a set of Mini Cooper tires. Although I'm not sure if they'd fit without some sort of adapter I do not mind. Worst case scenario i can sell them. I'm going with the seller to have it inspected once the pump is replaced. The seller is a licensed inspector, but he only works on big rigs (weird detail but i thought it was interesting). He is going to deliver the car for free, once to the shop to get inspected, and then to my house afterwards. Anyways thats my experience so far. Im keeping what you said in mind ELVA. I hope this initial interaction holds somewhat true to what the rest of my E30 experience will be like, but who knows.. I will keep all of you posted

My Cars
    N/A
    Image-1.jpgImage-1 (1).jpg In my awe i ended up only taking two photos here they are..

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    Best of luck! Mini Cooper wheels, or Mini Cooper tires?

My Cars
    N/A
    Both apparently.. Thankyou

My Cars
    325ix, 325ix, 540i
    Best of luck. Pics look great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast