Thread: After months of spinning out constantly at every event yesterday it all came together

My Cars
    98 328is

After months of spinning out constantly at every event yesterday it all came together

Our local events 90% of the time have a high speed entry sweeper and no matter what i did i had issues with understeer. I would over compensate with too much throttle and would spin out constantly. I switched from a factory 3.23 lsd to a 3.15 welded and that helped to break the rear loose with less effort and more predictability. I also went with a dedicated front tire setup. 8.5" M3 contours with 12mm spacers with 215/40 federal rs-r mounted on them. Let me tell you, those federals are awesome!

day started out rainy, i was 2nd out on track and those ecstas hated it. i spent 2 runs unvble to do anything. skating in 2n in a straight line. finally got that under control still had issues. i asked one of the experienced guys to ride along with me when he had a chance, he never got to ride along but he told me to try entering off throttle and to check my tire pressure. next run i entered off throttle and it was like everything just came together and the heavens opened up and shined onto me. then i hit a water puddle and washed out. went to the pits and seen my tires were at 45psi, brought them down to 30 and the rest of the day was amazing!

still have to work on entries, and transitions. i also have a disability in my right arm and shift with my left. gotta work on a remote shifter so i dont have to drift only in 2nd.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RandomHero27; 04-05-2017 at 10:41 AM.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Generally, when I find newbies with corner entry under steer, they're just flooring it. Either hand brake, clutch kick, or toss a ton of weight into it. Entering off throttle helped upset the rear of the car but weigh down the front to put more traction on the tires. It works but IMO is a weak entry.

But that's keyboard teaching. Video would be helpful if you'd like help.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    You and your magical ability to slide an auto <_<

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Haha, yeah, I just keep thinking what someone with some actual skills could do with it if they tried.

My Cars
    98 328is
    Sadly no video. I left my gooro at the shop. I did have a passanger but cant remember his name and the video hasnt surfaced yet.

Currently scheming up a secondary/remote shifter setup.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    What are you running for sway bars? What front pressure are you running? I found that ditching my front sway and lowering my front pressure solved about 90% of my understeer. I had it bad the beginning of last season, couldn't turn in without plowing. Now my only issues are when its wet out or I do something dumb.

- - - Updated - - -

Nevermind, I need to learn t read haha, I run mine at 22-24psi

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    A good drift car is setup to be as close to neutral steer as you can get. Generally pros set them up on the understeery side. Newbs on the other hand (me included) generally setup their cars to be oversteer happy. When you get comfy, dial back in that grip/neutralsteer.

My Cars
    1997 328i, 89 325ix
    Quote Originally Posted by tptrsn View Post
    Dude, get a slushbox, they're awesome! Hahaha... Ok, I'll shut up now.
    I literally have no idea how you drift your car lol. I daily an auto e36 325i w/ an LSD, and I seriously struggle to break the rear free even w/ flicking and left foot braking lol. It's sad

My Cars
    '83 320i & '86 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by beat328i View Post
    I literally have no idea how you drift your car lol. I daily an auto e36 325i w/ an LSD, and I seriously struggle to break the rear free even w/ flicking and left foot braking lol. It's sad
    Magic...

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    I feel like I'm the only one who's actually tried it, and it actually isn't hard at all. Lol

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Says the seasoned racer

My Cars
    98 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by protomor View Post
    Generally, when I find newbies with corner entry under steer, they're just flooring it. Either hand brake, clutch kick, or toss a ton of weight into it. Entering off throttle helped upset the rear of the car but weigh down the front to put more traction on the tires. It works but IMO is a weak entry.

But that's keyboard teaching. Video would be helpful if you'd like help.
    stupid question. i thought about making a new thread for this question but decided against it. im new to drifitng and ive never had any help nor do i street drift.

anyway, we had another event this weekend. it was part of a bigger event so there were only a limited ammount of drift tickets sold and the track was short. i must have gotten in at least 60 laps, it was insane the ammount of laps i did. course was a 90 degree right to a 180degree left and a looong 90 degree exit sweeper right. maybe 1/4mile at most. anoter guy in a 328 was driving most of the course in first and shifitng at the exit of the 2nd turn, i however was in 2nd doing abut 20mph on the first entry, s o i was clutch kicking it. anyway, when the day started i was clutch kicking and entering kind of weak, but i wasnt spinning. the transition was kicking my ass though, spit me out 75% of the time. as the sun went down and i was making progress i started driving harder and harder, and i noticed the car was driving 11ty X better. it seemed the harder i drove the better it felt. as it got dark i was clutch kicking it hard and going HAM on the throttle and it would hold, transition was still kicking my ass but only 25% of the time would it spit me out. goprop was dead at this point and i dont have any footage.

my stupid question, is driving the car hard better than kind pussy footing it? like i said, when i started hammering down and clutch kickng the shit out of it the car felt miles better.
    Last edited by RandomHero27; 04-10-2017 at 03:33 PM.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Just curious, since I can't make a good transition to save my life, but how much were you lifting off the throttle to instigate the transition? And how quickly and aggressively were you getting back into the throttle when you were getting spit out by the transition?

My Cars
    98 328is
    Video!! this was most of my runs throughout the day, the last clip cuts off as my battery died. i drove so much better as it got dark. i wish i had more batteries with me, but i decided to go last minute.

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomHero27 View Post
    Video!! this was most of my runs throughout the day, the last clip cuts off as my battery died. i drove so much better as it got dark. i wish i had more batteries with me, but i decided to go last minute.

I haven't finished watching the video but do you only use one hand on the wheel always? haha
    I think you could/should chuck it in harder/faster.

Edit: stay in the powerband too. throttle control. someone better than me will add more in depth I'm sure!
    Last edited by Press22; 04-10-2017 at 07:00 PM.
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    98 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by Press22 View Post
    I haven't finished watching the video but do you only use one hand on the wheel always? haha
    I think you could/should chuck it in harder/faster.

Edit: stay in the powerband too. throttle control. someone better than me will add more in depth I'm sure!

Lol. Yea, i kind of only have 1 1/2 arms.

- - - Updated - - -

Later in the day i was throwing it in harder/faster and on the 2nd turn i was giving it more throttle. Brain hasnt figured out how to clutch kick midturn yet.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    lol I think you need to update your sig with you holding up your arms shrugging so people stop making comments.

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    lol I feel like a douche. I had no idea.
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    man that layout looks terrible, but maybe it's just hard to tell in video.

- - - Updated - - -

when you have low power you sort of have to drive the shit out of the car to get it to work right

My Cars
    98 328is
    Course layout wasnt the best. But there was only so much room. There was drag racing, roll racing, and a car show at the same time. We usually have the entire pit area to ourselves during normal event, this time we had half and had to have runoff room for mistakes since cars were driving around

My Cars
    98 328is
    so i just kind of wanted to throw an update out there. we have had 2 events since this posting, maybe 3? Last event i had a proam guy that runs in the Lone Star Drift series give me some tips and ride along with me. So, im getting more confident and this im getting faster, however i have now out run second gear on the standard layout we run 2/3 events. i am now in 3rd gear. When i was talking with the Proam driver, he was telling me im short shifting it, and i showed him my arm and he understood why, but he pushed it into my brain that i need to be faster. I was putting the car in third well before entry because i wanted to make sure i was in third gear. he pushed it into my brain that i needed to be WOT in 2nd and shift into 3rd right before entry so i wasnt too slow.

this bit of advice was genius. the car felt massively easier to drive and was easier to enter with. he advised against a clutch kick entry and told me to throw it in, but clutch kicking just felt better. I havent had a chance to try it much, too much waiting in line (50+ car events). im still having trouble with the high speed entry sweeper, but he told me it was due to lifting the throttle to much. he mentioned that i was either full on or full out of throttle and that i needed to find the balance and be smoother with it, but more importantly i needed to stay in the gas. everytime i spun the car would stall because i wasnt giving it any gas.

fast forward to last weeks event. layout was mirrored from the normal layout and there was a slight left corner just before the big sweeper. i would run up to the left and throw it in and gas it. and the i would spin. After awhile i realized i was throwing it in too hard, and giving it too much throttle. if i had an angle kit this would have been fine, but i dont. I stopped being so agressive on the slight left, and it all came together. even transitioning to the sweeper and riding it through.

at the end of the night i was the only one driving the course. it was late and it looked like it was going to rain so everyone packed up. i got 3 or 4 runs in back to back before the track went cold. during that time i was able to link 95% of the course. the last 5% really showed that i need to solve my shifter issue. i was in third and had to stay in third, and no amount of clutch kicking was getting me around the last turn in third.

i think sometime soon im going to make a new intro - heres my car thread where i detail everything and even provide a pic of my arm. its really awesome how the local community is. they are all very friendly and willing to help, and im becoming known as the guy who drifts with 1 arm and kills it. i do my best to be positive with everyone and am always willing to help. i ran the line for 30 minutes this last event as i was having a clutch issue (i think i boiled the fluid), and made it a point to joke and talk with all of the drivers as they came up for their run.
    Last edited by RandomHero27; 06-03-2017 at 09:03 AM.