Thread: meyle ball joints-

My Cars
    2000 2.3l z3

meyle ball joints-

Been reading about parts selection for the control arms. Consensus seems to be that the Meyle hd ball joint (upward one in center of arm)
    is the most robust. Like to keep my arm and press in new joints. ( have 4 hydraulic presses...) is the Meyle a drop-in fit for the BMW control
    arm ? (or does it ONLY fit the Meyle HD control arm ?) I didn't see that stated anywhere - one way or the other.......

Thanks----
    Tim

My Cars
    2000 2.3 Z3, 2007 328xi
    When I bought my control arms, they were Lemforder with Meyle HD ball joints pressed in - which I think are OEM?

“Great wisdom is generous; petty wisdom is contentious.” 无为

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9 5 speed
    New control arms are cheap enough that it just isn't worth messing about swapping parts in the old ones.

My Cars
    01 2.5i, 98 1.9 DASC & M
    The Meyle ball joints will fit in both the inner and outer locations of the stock BMW control arm. It can be difficult to get the inner to press free. I've been replacing ball joints on the "fleet" this way for years.

IMG_0317.jpgIMG_0335.jpg

My Cars
    2000 2.3l z3
    Thanks to all for the posts--- looks like the Meyle should be fitting in OK.... I have 3 or 4 different presses and up to 30 tons- so one of those will either press it out
    or break something :-)
    I guess I am old school -- don't believe in disposable parts- (especially serviceable ones which aren't time to failure type like on a helicopter----)
    At least now I know the Meyle will fit and I can order. Thanks for the guidance-
    Tim

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by steve f View Post
    The Meyle ball joints will fit in both the inner and outer locations of the stock BMW control arm. It can be difficult to get the inner to press free. I've been replacing ball joints on the "fleet" this way for years.
    Could you confirm if the Meyle ball joints fit in both location on the stock M Roadster control arms? They are slightly different than the Z arms.

Also, do you think it's doable with a tool like this: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...1529_200391529

Thanks!

My Cars
    01 2.5i, 98 1.9 DASC & M
    Quote Originally Posted by pine1000 View Post
    Could you confirm if the Meyle ball joints fit in both location on the stock M Roadster control arms? They are slightly different than the Z arms.!
    Yes. I have pressed new ball joints in both original BMW control arms and Meyle control arms

Also, do you think it's doable with a tool like this: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...1529_200391529

Thanks!
    I doubt that will work. It depends on the size of the anvils. I use a 12 ton hydraulic press and some homemade anvils and press drifts from used pipe.

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    Could you confirm if the Meyle ball joints fit in both location on the stock M Roadster control arms? They are slightly different than the Z arms.

Thanks!
    This thread answers my own question: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ement-with-E30

Apparently, you have to use E30 M3 control arm ball joints on the E36 M3/M roadster/coupe control arms.
    Last edited by pine1000; 04-20-2017 at 09:07 PM.

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe individual
    What are the symptoms of bad front control arms?

I have weird problems in my car right now.

Z3 & E36 RamAir systems, send private message for more information.

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Remotion View Post
    What are the symptoms of bad front control arms?

I have weird problems in my car right now.
    I think the symptoms can vary. When they are really bad you will hear/feel a clunk, but that could be a lot of other things in the suspension as well.

Everyone says to pry and pull on the control arms and check for play in the ball joints. Mine have no play that I can find, but with the FCAB bracket detached I can flop the control arms around like wet noodles (literally no resistance to movement). That doesn't seem right to me, but I guess I will have to change them and see if it makes a difference. My issue is a dead on center steering that gets worse with speed.

I have replaced all wear components in my suspension except for the control arms within the last 2 years (shocks, RCAB, endlinks, etc...). So, I suppose it has to be the ball joints, steering rack, or steering shaft coupling.

My Cars
    2000 2.3l z3
    OK- I finally discovered that-------
    The meyle ball joints ONLY fit into meyle arms. It appears they will NOT fit into stock control arms. So I just ordered the whole meyle arms.
    I wanted to just replace the joints but I wanted the stronger joints. I could have pressed in the standard OEM joints but I wanted more robust ones.