RM European Auto Parts
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shifter Broke

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Oh, damn.......

That word "Really" is blue.....cool.... Click me baby.....

Personally, I have never found a need of a non-factory stop. Weird, I've never needed a "Short-shifter" either.

I think that's because, when I'm REALLY working out the car, like on track, the extra millisecond saved by something like a short-shifter or shortened clutch stop is not worth the risk of a bad shift or incorrectly detached clutch/

I'm probably just too sloppy for that precision stuff ???

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    2001 BMW E39 Sport
    Likewise I don't like extended clutch stops and haven't fitted one to any of our manual BMWs. As per Chris' comment I think they are a recipe for unpleasantness; particularly so if the clutch develops a fault and you are trying to get a feel for what the clutch is actually doing. I have never used a DSSR or aftermarket short shift kit either, but our E39 does have an E60 shifter which I find a reasonable compromise in day to day driving.

Wadi. The idea of the extended clutch stop is to reduce the reasonably long BMW standard clutch pedal travel. It stops the pedal from going all the way to the floor when you change gears.

My Cars
    E36 328is, E87 116i
    Thanks friends !! Cool link Scotttttt hahaha!

i don't know why I'm not attracted to these clutch stops I think it takes the fun and skills out of the equation!!! what I do like is my clutch delay valve delete mod !
    C217 S63 AMG S Cabriolet ( Daily )

E87 116i with mild cams, headers, cold air intake making 136 bhp Lol (My Learning Track Car)

E36 328i Sport ( Project in making and future race/track car )

My Cars
    2002 BMW 330CI
    I meant Wadi.. phone doesn't let me edit it. (I dont have the app) sorry lol
    also, *clutch stop, in the last sentence of the first paragraph.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Deleting the delay valve is the best free mod ever.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    2001 BMW E39 Sport
    "Deleting the delay valve is the best free mod ever."

And a big +1 to that!

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    agreed....CDV delete is pure awesome....

also never found a need for a clutch stop...same on short shift kits - most i've found to be annoying on track at best.

but, clutches are a very personal thing - as i say a lot of the time - not my circus, not my monkeys, and not my money!
    '95 325iS - auto to manual swap done!

My Cars
    E36 328is, E87 116i
    When you do the CDV delete you will love your car so much more! Every shift from that second onwards will feel squential!!!!!!!!!!
    C217 S63 AMG S Cabriolet ( Daily )

E87 116i with mild cams, headers, cold air intake making 136 bhp Lol (My Learning Track Car)

E36 328i Sport ( Project in making and future race/track car )

My Cars
    2002 BMW 330CI
    Sorry for the late response, I been busy and forgot.
    Its funny how it only saved the last part of my previous response (I deleted now)

Like I was saying, I wanted to install the clutch stop because my clutch is a 5 series and sometimes it can be a bitch in rush hour..and its a daily car. I'll probably won't install it because I wont risk my clutch being ruined....but I wish it had it.

I'll give it a try in removing my CDV valve when I have a chance. It looks easy to do but is it hard to bleeding the clutch?

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    I'm going to assume that the clutch you're talking about is the E34 M5, which is, sure, stiff. I've used this arrangement in many of my BMWs. You have a lightweight flywheel, I take it? You know that there are many BMW clutches which will be just fine with your car's torque, if you really don't like the E34 M5s?

Oh, the clutch stop will not make the clutch pedal effort any less.

Removing the CDV is very easy. Fill the reservoir. Get under and undo the metal brake pipe from the CDV, Then undo the CDV from the slave cylinder. Then screw the pipe fitting into the slave cylinder. Yes, it will be dripping brake fluid as you screw it in. Take your time, get it straight, then tighten it. If you do it within a minute or two, you won't even have to bleed the clutch....after all, no air will enter the system. (The bottom part is full, the top part is full and dripping).

(This won't make the pedal effort any less, either)
    Last edited by bmwdirtracer; 05-20-2017 at 10:10 PM.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

MauiM3Mania is online now Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Quote Originally Posted by notarasta View Post
    ... Its funny how it only saved the last part of my previous response (I deleted now)
    Unless your post is something that shouldn't be public it would be preferred if you did not delete the message, instead EDIT the message. Deleted messages can't help others who come across the discussion with the same problem. rockon.gif
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    2002 BMW 330CI
    Do you know a clutch less stiff that fits a 5 series 6 speed transmission? (M3's 5 speed clutch doesnt fit because the small hole in the center is different than where it conccets in my transmission)

It doesn't but it takes half the work off you foot when shifting.

Is there a way to check if if my CDV valve has been deleted?
    The previous owner did many mods to the car.
    I only hate one mode, the "performance" air intake filter keeps falling. (It doesn't have the stock "box") do I just buy a new intake filter? Or should I go back to stock?

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    There's a problem in the translation here.

If you have a "5 series , six speed" transmission, that's a Getrag 420G....which is the same as an E46 M3 transmission.....except that the E46 M3 transmission would bolt to a six-cylinder engine.....and the "5 series 6 speed" transmission won't.

So, if you truly have a six speed, then you have an E46 M3 Getrag 420G.....and the stock clutch for this is NOT stiff. And, it utilizes a dual mass flywheel.

I'd have to guess that you have a non-stock clutch and flywheel. I can't tell you what clutch might match with your aftermarket flywheel, because I don't know who made it.

The gearbox (Getrag 420) is identical to the one on my E39 M5, except for the bellhousing. I use a JB Racing 13 pound single mass flywheel, and a completely stock clutch kit. Probably, you could use a stock E46 M3 clutch kit, which has a light throw. But without knowing what parts you're actually using, I can't do any more than guess.

I repeat though: the "5 series, 6 speed" gearbox does not bolt to a six cylinder engine.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    2002 BMW 330CI
    Well I can shift 6 gears is that a 5 speed? Lol

My Cars
    2001 BMW E39 Sport
    Reverse doesn't count :-P

I don't see any reference to what sort of five series you have? Was that information in the deleted post?

The only six cylinder E34 five series with factory six speed manuals were the very last handful of Euro 3.8 litre M5s - as far as I know these were never fitted with a clutch delay valve at the factory. The M5 3.8 was never officially imported to the US by BMW.

The only other factory six speed E34 was the US 540i Sport (Canadian/Australian 540LE) which as Chris pointed out is a V8.

If your car has been converted to a six speed there is no telling what sort of clutch might be in it.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Quote Originally Posted by notarasta View Post
    Well I can shift 6 gears is that a 5 speed? Lol
    Damn, really?

Can you read ?

Neither I, nor anyone here, has suggested that you have a five speed. We all understand that you have a six-speed G420, which came from either a Euro E36 M3, or an E46 M3 from any country. Apparently, YOU think that the E46 M3 came with a five speed, and that you have a gearbox from a five-series car. And THAT is wrong.

Look, just buy a clutch and flywheel for a 2003 M3.

We were all trying to save the lightweight flywheel that someone likely installed, but it seems you're too intent on proving us all wrong, to even pay attention to what we've been saying. Have fun.
    Last edited by bmwdirtracer; 06-03-2017 at 12:49 PM.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    2002 BMW 330CI
    Hahaha
    Yeah I be killing it in reverse lol

Don't get a heart attack from a joke bro

I know the M3 is a six speed but I know for a fact my trassmission is not M3 but a 5 series..It took me a while(3 weeks) to figure it out. One of the top rated BMW/German cars auto shops(Silvio's Autohouse)in Houston couldn't. Lets just forget about the clutch question. The clutch doesn't feel as stiff after getting used to it. I'm not trying to prove anyone wrong or argue....I may not be an expert but I know my car and and seen the transmission out.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 330CI
    E39MGirl,
    It has a 5 series clutch in it.
    I just wanted to know a better(feel) clutch for the next time I may have to replace it or upgrade.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12