Thread: Reduced Engine Power Malfunction/Fuel Pump failure

My Cars
    2009 BMW 535i

Reduced Engine Power Malfunction/Fuel Pump failure

So i've gotten this a few times now and my symptoms are different than a lot of people's. My car is a 2009 bmw 535i and i've done a lot of google research on this subject. I get a Reduced Engine Power Malfunction and my car completely shuts off and loses steering within 5-10 seconds of getting this message, I am not able to drive it at all and it's completely stopped. Also Fuel Pump Failure comes up sometimes after the reduced engine power malfunction message.

Lots of people seem to think it's the High Pressure Fuel Pump but their symptoms are different than mine in that their car doesn't shut off and they are still able to drive...correct me if i'm wrong? I will try to start the car back up right away and it shakes and won't go into drive or neutral or anything and still gives me the same error messages. Then and only if I let it cool down for 5-10 minutes later (If I try to start it up sooner the same error messages apply) it finally goes away. Seems that most people who get a reducedengine power malfunction are able to drive the car without it shutting off right away?

My codes are 29F3, 29DC, 29F2. Please help!!

Attached Thumbnails

My Cars
    535i E60
    I have a 2010 535i that will shut off while driving about every other day. Says "Fuel Pump" on the dash but if I sit there for a while it will start back up. I bought the car about 3 months ago and I have already replaced both fuel pumps and the fuel filter. I have also taken out the injectors and cleaned them. This I driving me nuts! The car runs great when it's running.
    I'm down to replacing injectors and a fuel module in the trunk. I just don't want to keep throwing parts at it (I don't mind putting parts on that fix it) and would really like to figure this out very soon.

My Cars
    81,e21 orig ownr&05,e60
    Have you checked for error codes using a BMW specific code reader?

My Cars
    1987 M6
    The E60/61 family is known to have issues when ignition coils get old. The plastic dries, cracks, and results in really inconsistent/weird electronic issues. They haven't really failed, so the car will run fine, but you keep seeing errors with no real codes, or CEL errors that magically go away. If you are at a point where there is expensive diagnostic/guesswork involved, I would recommend replacing all the coils. It's not super expensive ($160 for the set from FCPEuro), which is cheaper than a visit for diagnostics, it's easy to do, and it takes that known issue out of the discussion.

Jose
    Last edited by DaHose; 10-26-2017 at 01:39 PM.
    1987 M6
    Livin the dream!

My Cars
    09 535ix
    Vacuum lines get brittle and leak where you can't see the cracks. I bought some high pressure silicone stuff meant specifically for turbo applications for 30$ or so...
    RIP Jess or the idea of Jess or... what OT was.. or whatever...

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Get a shop to properly dx it

My Cars
    535i E60
    Quote Originally Posted by jtbgonesailing View Post
    Have you checked for error codes using a BMW specific code reader?
    I ordered a tool yesterday and should arrive tomorrow. The tool shows to have the ability of checking all the engine components to include the next part I was thinking about changing, Fuel Pump Control Unit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DaHose View Post
    The E60/61 family is known to have issues when ignition coils get old. The plastic dries, cracks, and results in really inconsistent/weird electronic issues. They haven't really failed, so the car will run fine, but you keep seeing errors with no real codes, or CEL errors that magically go away. If you are at a point where there is expensive diagnostic/guesswork involved, I would recommend replacing all the coils. It's not super expensive ($160 for the set from FCPEuro), which is cheaper than a visit for diagnostics, it's easy to do, and it takes that known issue out of the discussion.

Jose
    The coils are on my list to change soon as well since I don't see anything in the records where they have been replaced recently. As I said before I pulled and cleaned the injectors already and saw the coils there. Looks very easy and shouldn't take very long to accomplish. Thanks for the feedback.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 535i

Fuel Pump Malfunction Drive Moderately E60

Quote Originally Posted by blt4me View Post
    I have a 2010 535i that will shut off while driving about every other day. Says "Fuel Pump" on the dash but if I sit there for a while it will start back up. I bought the car about 3 months ago and I have already replaced both fuel pumps and the fuel filter. I have also taken out the injectors and cleaned them. This I driving me nuts! The car runs great when it's running.
    I'm down to replacing injectors and a fuel module in the trunk. I just don't want to keep throwing parts at it (I don't mind putting parts on that fix it) and would really like to figure this out very soon.
    Hi, BLT4Me,
    My wife has a 2010 535i, and it had the same issue. I just replaced the Fuel Pump and Fuel Sending Unit (Left and Right side in-fuel-tank units). Drove the car for two test drives and it was fine. She drove it a few days later and it stalled again with the Fuel Pump Malfunction Drive Moderately message. When she tried to restart it roughly idled for a few seconds then stalled. When I came an picked her up, it started on first crank like normal and I drove home with no issues.

Did you ever resolve your issue?

Did you look at the fuel pressure sensor or the High-Pressure Fuel Pump?

Thanks,
    Robin

My Cars
    There's a fuel pump control module that I usually replace when a vehicle exhibits this issue with that error message.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician