Thread: Why did my thermostat housing break?

My Cars
    1991 BMW E30 318is

Why did my thermostat housing break?

After a month of delay after delay on this cooling refresh, I was happy to be finally putting everything back together (except my accessory belt which arrived in the wrong size and my PS belt which I can't get off). As I was setting my thermostat housing back on, the last step before I filled her up with fresh coolant, the top snapped off.

I can't for the life of me figure out why this happened but I want to make sure I don't repeat the mistake with the new housing. I was using a torque wrench set to 82 inch-pounds, below the recommended spec. I torqued down the bottom two screws no problem. The upper screw on the passenger side (LHD) snapped the housing before it was even close to being torqued.

Some points:
    -The drivers side screw was pretty difficult to thread in, even with a ratchet, but this was the same when I took the housing off after to make sure
    -perhaps the new thermostat wasn't seated in all the way? (99% sure it was though)
    -The top two screws appear to be longer than the bottom two? Did I mix these up?
    -Did I torque them in the wrong order? They were all fully hand tight before I went around with the wrench.

Thanks guys. Super pissed right now, this was supposed to take me a weekend when I started in February but my luck is no good at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '90 Ford Tempo
    It becomes brittle from many heat cycles.
    Only thing about torquing fasteners is that the threads should probably be chased, with a tap to remove the corrosion .

m