Thread: Engine flush

My Cars
    bmw2010

Engine flush

Are Engine additives good for cleaning your bmws motor?

My Cars
    2001 525it
    No

My Cars
    bmw2010
    I brought my 2010 528i to a bmw dealer for an oil change it was due. When they took off the oil cap to change the filter, they had told me there was Silicon all around the threading of the oil cap. They asked me if I did this? I said absolutely Not!! The floor mechanic told me this cld be the reason why your car Idles slightly rough whn coming to a red light or stp sign. He says possible tht pieces of the silicon melted off the old oil cap threading into the engine bay. Bought this car 2 years ago. So whoever had this car before, which is only 1 owner who had seem to tke every good care of this car, due to history. It seems at some point someone didnt wnt to pay for a new oil cap and decided to seal the old cap with silicon due to its ware & tear. The mechanic tells me the only way we will knw is to open it up. Tht like a $3000 dollar job. If it is so, there has to be another way to clean it out. No codes come up at Bmw. Any one hve any ideas? ??? I knw engine flushes cnt be good. but can it be possible tht this might be the only way out the rough idling? I ve already used 2 gas treatments. Cld pieces of Silicon be the problem?

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmwwhite2010 View Post
    I brought my 2010 528i to a bmw dealer for an oil change it was due. When they took off the oil cap to change the filter, they had told me there was Silicon all around the threading of the oil cap. They asked me if I did this? I said absolutely Not!! The floor mechanic told me this cld be the reason why your car Idles slightly rough whn coming to a red light or stp sign. He says possible tht pieces of the silicon melted off the old oil cap threading into the engine bay. Bought this car 2 years ago. So whoever had this car before, which is only 1 owner who had seem to tke every good care of this car, due to history. It seems at some point someone didnt wnt to pay for a new oil cap and decided to seal the old cap with silicon due to its ware & tear. The mechanic tells me the only way we will knw is to open it up. Tht like a $3000 dollar job. If it is so, there has to be another way to clean it out. No codes come up at Bmw. Any one hve any ideas? ??? I knw engine flushes cnt be good. but can it be possible tht this might be the only way out the rough idling? I ve already used 2 gas treatments. Cld pieces of Silicon be the problem?
    Why do some mechanics try to scare people like this? I'd like to line up all these guys and kick 'em in the nuts.
    Is there a bit of silicone that got into the engine? Maybe but you've had the car two years and it's not an issue. If so it's probably clinging to the oil pick up by now and hasn't done any harm.
    Buy and install a new filler cap, clean up the remaining silicone and be done with it.
    Oh, no engine flush. If it's dirty accelerate your oil change schedule.
    Last edited by ross1; 04-07-2017 at 12:37 PM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmwwhite2010 View Post
    Are Engine additives good for cleaning your bmws motor?
    No additives, just regularly scheduled oil changes, with BMW quality oil and filter.
    I truly feel the silicone situation was probably caused by a missing or failed o-ring,
    causing a constant leak that the previous owner though he could fix by applying silicone sealant.
    Replace oil cap and o-ring-#2&#9 here:https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=11_3867
    Btw, that o-ring is generally included in BMW oil/filter change kits. My concern is you waiting 2yrs to perform your first oil change, and discovering this issue.
    Rough idle could be caused by a variety of things, but since you have no codes, maybe a refresh of simple maintenance items that may not have been changed in years can help, primarily Air filter, sparkplugs. Ok now, don't worry about that silicone, that's the oil filters job, your job is to stay away from that floor mechanic,
    who made you start worrying, with his ridiculous comments. Find a new trustworthy mechanic ,to rid yourself of needless worry and expense.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Bmwwhite2010,was this resolved?
    Did you update your maintenance schedule,
    Because if you don't, I see major problems in your future.

My Cars
    BMW
    Every now and then I'll run Pro-Line by Liqui Moly (LINK) before an oil change on my older cars. I give it, and shorter OCIs, credit for cleaning up a very gunked up M54 (pervious owner did 15k+ oil changes with rubbish quality oil).

-James

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Here are my 2 cents: Engine flushes are not needed when you change the oil and filter at ~7k mile intervals. That means putting a high quality oil (I use Mobil 1 0W40 which is no longer LL01 compliant) and a Mann oil filter. The push for a ~15k mile oil change interval was a marketing hype. It is not a maintenance philosophy.

My Cars
    97 E36M3 S54
    Quote Originally Posted by ECSTuning View Post
    Every now and then I'll run Pro-Line by Liqui Moly (LINK) before an oil change on my older cars. I give it, and shorter OCIs, credit for cleaning up a very gunked up M54 (pervious owner did 15k+ oil changes with rubbish quality oil).

-James
    That link was for standard oil, I think you meant this one? https://www.ecstuning.com/b-liqui_mo...0F4aApKI8P8HAQ

EDIT

For some reason the link isn't working but I found it through google.
    Last edited by M52 POWER!; 05-01-2017 at 12:40 PM.