Thread: 2002 540iT Radiator Drain Plug

My Cars
    2002 540iT

2002 540iT Radiator Drain Plug

Hello,

I've got a 2002 540iT M Sports and I am attempting to flush the cooling system, however, for the life of me, I cannot find the radiator drain plug. I have watched numerous videos and looked at numerous picture how-to's and none of them look like my radiator. I read somewhere that sometimes, there is no plug and you have to remove the lower hose.

Anyone?

Thank you in advance.

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Check out the link below to our site's DIY tech article on this process - it should give you the info you need. Best of luck!

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...d_Bleeding.htm

-Dmitry
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    2002 540iT
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelican Parts View Post
    Check out the link below to our site's DIY tech article on this process - it should give you the info you need. Best of luck!

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...d_Bleeding.htm

-Dmitry
    Thank you, but I've already seen that and as I wrote above; I don't have the same thing apparently because I cannot find any plug at the bottom of the radiator.

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by evabraun View Post
    Thank you, but I've already seen that and as I wrote above; I don't have the same thing apparently because I cannot find any plug at the bottom of the radiator.

No worries - post your question and findings as a Comment just below the article I linked you to and our master tech may be able to shed some light and help you out.

-Dmitry
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    OP ignore the above... this is an easy one.

The automatic tranny V8 cars actually use the radiator drain port for the transmission heat exchanger return line.

Therefore where everybody else has a cute blue drain plug, you have a hose going to the same port.

Since it uses the same port & connection mechanism, all you have to do is twist that and pull it out just as if it was a drain plug. Its just messier to deal with honestly, otherwise it works exactly the same.

2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    97 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    OP ignore the above... this is an easy one.
    dude...you rock....!

Now, I don't know what your experience has been, but for us guys with the cute little blue drain plug, I've never, in my entire career, seen one seal after it is removed. Compression set was inevitable due to the heat and that would leave the plug dripping if reinstalled after a flush or repair. We always replaced it, or at least the o-ring for it. Due to a combo of age and most likely alcohol...I cannot remember how we drained the v8-auto's but your post makes me think we pulled that port, replacing the o-ring when reinstalled. Can Eva, and should Eva, have an o-ring in hand PRIOR to pulling this fitting out...?
    "two wrongs don't make a right...only three lefts do...."
    '79 Euro 635csi - gone and regretting it...
    '89 gsxr-750 - former traffic knife
    '97 528i sedan - holding on strong...(just sold after 16 years of ownership - sad day)
    '03 Euro 525it - something about a famous dolphin.....

'06 Mercury Grand Marquis (don't ask....it gets the job done....)
    '84 Specialized Allez - full Campagnolo Super Record
    '99-ish Cannondale CAAD4
    "Stinky" - Kona Stinky Five
    '86 528e
    2008 E70 X5 3.0

My Cars
    2002 540iT
    Thank you so much! I saw that pipe but for a while thought it went to the heat exchanger.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by adm750 View Post
    dude...you rock....!

Now, I don't know what your experience has been, but for us guys with the cute little blue drain plug, I've never, in my entire career, seen one seal after it is removed. Compression set was inevitable due to the heat and that would leave the plug dripping if reinstalled after a flush or repair. We always replaced it, or at least the o-ring for it. Due to a combo of age and most likely alcohol...I cannot remember how we drained the v8-auto's but your post makes me think we pulled that port, replacing the o-ring when reinstalled. Can Eva, and should Eva, have an o-ring in hand PRIOR to pulling this fitting out...?
    Great question. I admit I had my car in my Indy for some stuff after I'd done the exchanger-delete and they insisted I needed a new drain plug when the one in there was like less than a year old at most. I was always irked about that and as I typed that post yesterday I was even remembering that, but maybe you're right.

Like you say exactly prob just set on the O-ring, can't image the plastic plug really deforms enough or anything. I keep a box of metric O-rings for whatever occasions like that so it'd be easy for me. And I def had had the exchanger-hose off and on a number of times without leak issues... but indeed would be best to have an O-ring on hand maybe.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Never thought that BMW designed it differently like that for certain models. Interdasting.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Honestly the auto tranny exchanger really seems like a afterthought workaround all around. Using the drain plug for one, then one of the other hoses coming off the back of the w/c alternator housing is weird too. All just seems very "oh crap we forgot about the automatic... how can we plumb that in..." Per Jicaino's excellent threads/posts even if you are rocking the autobox you are prob way better off doing a simple proper standalone tranny cooler up behind the bumper anyway...
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    2002 540iT
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Honestly the auto tranny exchanger really seems like a afterthought workaround all around. Using the drain plug for one, then one of the other hoses coming off the back of the w/c alternator housing is weird too. All just seems very "oh crap we forgot about the automatic... how can we plumb that in..." Per Jicaino's excellent threads/posts even if you are rocking the autobox you are prob way better off doing a simple proper standalone tranny cooler up behind the bumper anyway...
    As my friends and I were saying; there are some excellent engineering designs to the car then you look at some others and you say, "What the fuck were you thinking?".

Anyway, thank you again for your help.