Thread: Pic of top forward break-down spring+chain

My Cars
    2000 2.3l z3

Pic of top forward break-down spring+chain

Exercising my top using the newly repaired motor. I had noticed earlier that there is a small coil spring and short length of chain hanging loose
    up near the safety switch. Now I can see ( I think) what it is supposed to do. Looks like the forward-most joint in the bow system locks over center
    as the top gets close to contact with the windshield. Then when you reverse the motor- the cylinder tries to pull the top back and up- but that
    forward joing stays over center and wont let that point fold. I think that spring+chain is supposed to put pressure on the lock to pull it out of the
    over center condition once the pressure from the windshield is reduced. (is that REALLY how it works????--)

The drivers side has the spring and about an inch of chain- chain not connected to anything- passenger side has spring and no chain....

I don't see really where the chain is supposed to hook to----- does anyone have a pic of that area showing where it hooks to ?

Or a link to a pic ?

Thanks- Tim

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    Not sure if it will help or not, but realoem.com has diagrams of the top and all of its parts. It may help you figure it out.
    2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels. Looking for a new home.

2022 Z4 M40i, Misano Blue Metallic, Prem Pkg, Driver Assistance Pkg

2023 X5 M50, Phytonic Blue, Black Extended Merion Leather, Driving Asst Pro Pkg, Park Asst Pkg, Exec Pkg, Climate Comfort Pkg.

My Cars
    2000 2.3l z3
    Thank you KH- I will look there !

Tim

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by fairchild View Post
    ... there is a small coil spring and short length of chain hanging loose up near the safety switch...
    I don't see really where the chain is supposed to hook to----- does anyone have a pic of that area showing where it hooks to ?...
    Maybe its the tension cable in Steps 7 and 20 here:
    https://webspace.ringling.edu/~dplas...str.html#step7
    https://webspace.ringling.edu/~dplas...tr.html#step20
    A couple of photos show a spring and cable.
    Last edited by Vintage42; 03-30-2017 at 06:51 AM.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    FWIW, My Roadster also has the chains loose on one end, and the top works fine. I appreciate the thread though as I was going to try to figure out what was up with them!

My Cars
    Two Z3 Roadsters
    Hi

I'm guessing that by "chains" hanging down on the top you are meaning the small chain and spring near the front on both sides (see photos). They are used to tension the head liner on the front corners.

- There is a cord on the head liner.
    - It passes through the hole in the small triangular block
    - Tie a knot right on the very end of the cord. Pass it though the spring and use a zip tie to secure it. This is best done with the top down.

Hope this helps

Muzz
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1999 2.8L Z3 Roadster,
    2000 3.0L Z3 Roadster,

There is only one thing more pleasurable than working on a Z3, that's driving it top down on a fine day.

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    Thats super helpful! Mine doesn't look nearly that good.

My Cars
    2000 2.3l z3
    OK--- so the little spring and chain DOES NOT do what I was thinking- if it only hooks to headliner. Sounds like it only does a superficial job-- maybe keeps
    headliner pulled tight. Might have to dig deeper into the top bows to see if something is unhooked or some small broken part---

When I retract- it goes back a little until it gets in a strain from that forward most joint not "breaking over center". Once I bump it with my hand it goes easily then.

Tim

My Cars
    Two Z3 Roadsters
    Hi

Just want to confirm that the normal operation of the top is not the problem.

On the Z3's, to lower the top with either the hydraulics or manual systems, you need to lift up the first section by hand. This releases an mechanical interlock in the mechanism and you can continue to lower the top. It also activated the micro switch that allows the hydraulic system to operate.

Similarly when you raise the top the hydraulics stop with the first section just flopping down a bit. For both the hydraulic and manual tops you need to pull the first section down by hand and close the locks.

Maybe you have a stuck in the "on" position micro switch?
    Last edited by Muzz258; 03-31-2017 at 03:29 PM.
    1999 2.8L Z3 Roadster,
    2000 3.0L Z3 Roadster,

There is only one thing more pleasurable than working on a Z3, that's driving it top down on a fine day.