Thread: Finished installing my new carbon fiber interior

My Cars
    335GT & Z3 M Roadster

Cool Finished installing my new carbon fiber interior

Hey,

Just finished wrapping a new set for my 335 interior. Went with a red carbon fiber cloth vs std black 2x2 and really happy with the way it stands out without overpowering the interior IMO.

It just started raining as I finished installing the parts and taking the pics.

Just started wrapping the small piece between the cup holders in same fabric.... hopefully finish that by next week.

Thoughts?
    My Rides:
    2016 f34 335GT stage2+ MHD FBO, custom carbon throughout!

2000 Z3M
    too many upgrades to mention

My Cars
    The gearshifter is terrible.

You asked for my thoughts, and that's the first thing I thought. LOL
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    335GT & Z3 M Roadster
    F10 Shifter better than the POS shift knob that came with it.. IMO but thanks for the opinion.. lol
    My Rides:

2000 Z3M

My Cars
    2001 325i; 2006 325i
    It looks good. Gives it a sportier look.

My Cars
    335GT & Z3 M Roadster
    Thanks Tony! I had the M3 interior previously, but wanted to make the interior pop a little without overwhelming or doing an injustice to the brand... LOL
    My Rides:

2000 Z3M

My Cars
    Pending F30
    Whats the cost on the carbon fiber. I love it!
    I have a 11 328i xDrive and would love to get rid of the walnut woodgrain!

My Cars
    2001 325i; 2006 325i
    I know! The woodgrain makes me feel like I'm 15 driving my father's car. Where did you get the wrap? How much of a PITA was it?

My Cars
    335GT & Z3 M Roadster
    It's not a vinyl wrap.... It's real carbon fibre cloth and about 25 hours of labour to complete. About 5 coats of resin and then clear coat, wet sanding and 3 stages of polishing to get them completed.

Here's a buddies centre console just after applying the cloth and base coat of resin:

Mid-way through curing, it's trimmed and edges taped:

4 coats later, sanded between each coat and almost ready for clear coat:

Clear coated and now needs to be wet sanded up to 2000 before a 3-stage buffing:

Done:
    My Rides:

2000 Z3M

My Cars
    2009 335i M-Sport Coupe
    That's amazing, it looks better than the carbon fiber I've seen in supercars. If you don't mind my asking, what materials did you use and where did you get them? Do you apply the resin with an HVLP gun?

My Cars
    2008 335i convertible,
    I agree awesome I just purchased a carbon wrapped set off eBay. Was not cheap at all and well the final product was less than perfect wrinkles in the very sharp contours what you have going on is the real deal I wish I had researched further

My Cars
    2007 530xi 6MT
    That red carbon looks much better than I would have expected, well done! Real carbon looks so much better than a vinyl wrap, glad to see you went the extra mile.
    Silver Grey Metallic 2007 530xi "Effy" - 6MT | Sport Pkg| Premium Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | Logic7

My Cars
    335GT & Z3 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon View Post
    That's amazing, it looks better than the carbon fiber I've seen in supercars. If you don't mind my asking, what materials did you use and where did you get them? Do you apply the resin with an HVLP gun?
    Thanks Sir! I used to make CF parts for Ferrari upgrades for Ferrari dealers and most of the parts I've made in the past are for BMW owners and we know how picky we can be... LOL The cloth is from Composite Envisions Reflections series (3x what I normally pay, but worth it), the resin is Sicomin which is imported from France (best I've used), the rest is standard materials: sandpaper, etc.... I apply using 1"-2" wide brushes.... The rest is all process related...

Quote Originally Posted by sleeper bird View Post
    I agree awesome I just purchased a carbon wrapped set off eBay. Was not cheap at all and well the final product was less than perfect wrinkles in the very sharp contours what you have going on is the real deal I wish I had researched further
    . Sorry to hear that! Is it clear coat related or you think it's the way they wrapped the part? If it's clear coat related, then it can be wet sanded down and re-clear coated and buffed......

Quote Originally Posted by 19birel View Post
    That red carbon looks much better than I would have expected, well done! Real carbon looks so much better than a vinyl wrap, glad to see you went the extra mile.
    Much appreciated as well! No vinyl for me LOL. trying vinyl several years ago is what got me into Carbon Fiber in the first place... was so unhappy with the vinyl look, I pulled it off my interior within 20 mins of installing... been doing Carbon fiber wrapping ever since!
    My Rides:

2000 Z3M

My Cars
    2008 335i convertible,
    My wrap was some sort of metal looking material not really vinyl ,my wrap job just had wrinkles in it small but there . My next go around will be the real deal I'm almost tempted to remove it all and put my wood parts back on .mind me asking how you got it to that red color? Again awesome job

My Cars
    335GT & Z3 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by sleeper bird View Post
    My wrap was some sort of metal looking material not really vinyl ,my wrap job just had wrinkles in it small but there . My next go around will be the real deal I'm almost tempted to remove it all and put my wood parts back on .mind me asking how you got it to that red color? Again awesome job
    This isn't vinyl either... Its carbon fiber cloth same as used to produce carbon fiber parts by BMW. THe difference between what I do and a volume manufacturer is that they build a mold, use multiple layers of carbon cloth compressed together under vacuum using resin to bond the layers together. They do this to form structurally sound/strong parts that comprise the entire part. What I do is take the stock parts and use them for the base and apply the resin and cloth directly to the stock parts... I don't create a mold because the stock parts form the base of the part.... I apply approx 5 coats of resin in order to build up the resin to a point that it can be sanded flat.

Here's a pic of the cloth I used:

Below is a pic of the parts after completing resining and ready for clear coat...not a shread of vinyl to be seen anywhere in my shop.... LOL

Send your wood interior to me and I'll wrap it for u. You'll have an OE finish like this:
    Last edited by nachos23; 04-03-2017 at 08:28 AM.
    My Rides:

2000 Z3M

My Cars
    2008 335i convertible,
    Great great work. Now I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering do you do these works of art for anyone?

My Cars
    335GT & Z3 M Roadster
    really a hobby as I have a f/t IT job, but sounds like you need a proper set for your car, not that one you're running now.... lol
    My Rides:

2000 Z3M

My Cars
    02 M3
    impressive, at first i thought it was going to be ricer from the title but it looks good!

My Cars
    95 Mercedes C220
    So you are laying the cloth with just one coat of resin, let it semi cure, then trim, then 4 more coats of resin?

Looks great btw. Never thought about trying the real thing. How much did the cloth cost you?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My Cars
    335GT & Z3 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by slides View Post
    impressive, at first i thought it was going to be ricer from the title but it looks good!
    Thanks! Ricer wasn't a look I was hoping for. lol

Quote Originally Posted by georgebuhr View Post
    So you are laying the cloth with just one coat of resin, let it semi cure, then trim, then 4 more coats of resin?

Looks great btw. Never thought about trying the real thing. How much did the cloth cost you?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yes essentially yes. The cloth is the least expensive component of all involved normally.. this particular cloth goes for $86 USD/YRD so 2.5 x normal, but well worth it in my opinion. Clear coat materials alone were $100.. plus resin and the other materials.
    My Rides:

2000 Z3M

My Cars
    2009 335i M-Sport Coupe
    I have been itching to rework the gummy/peeling bits of my interior ever since I saw these pictures. I've been looking into the Sicomin resins, the UV resistance of the surfboard resins sounds appealing. Which resin do you recommend?

My Cars
    335GT & Z3 M Roadster
    Sorry... for some reason I never got a notification of your reply. Yes, I've just using Sicomin recently and very happy with the results! They are self-levelling so little wasted, so using less resin per part as most others I lost 50% to drippage off part...

These parts were done using Sicomin.

Tristan is a good guy.
    My Rides:

2000 Z3M