Thread: Those of you who don't have a cage or bar, how are you mounting your GoPro?

My Cars
    E36 M, E32 740i/6, 997 S

Those of you who don't have a cage or bar, how are you mounting your GoPro?

I want to get something that mounts to the headrest bars but I want to make sure I won't have an issue with inspection at events.

I found this: https://www.amazon.com/Headrest-Tack...st+gopro+mount

Would that mount be acceptable for use in a BMW CCA event etc.?

My Cars
    2006 Estoril Blue/Cin M3

Many chapters will require a secondary retention leash. That leash may need to be metal. Check Tech requirements.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Just FYI, as an instructor, I wouldn't ride in a car with that setup as pictured. Any sort of front end incident, and that thing will hit someone in the face. I bet I could get it to rotate braking into T1.

My Cars
    2014 BMW 328D xDrive

My Cars
    E36 M, E32 740i/6, 997 S
    Quote Originally Posted by aeronaut View Post
    Just FYI, as an instructor, I wouldn't ride in a car with that setup as pictured. Any sort of front end incident, and that thing will hit someone in the face. I bet I could get it to rotate braking into T1.
    Would you be more comfortable if each individual piece was tethered to the headrests or the buckles in the back seat? The goal being to limit the travel forward in the event of a crash.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    More comfortable. Yes. But I'd have to see it. FYI, I'm picky with stuff like this. Some instructors wouldn't say anything. Some definitely would.

My Cars
    E90 M3
    I just took a piece of 1 inch PVC pipe, drilled two holes in it for the head rests and used a pole mount for my gopro. Works great, just need to make sure the passenger seat is in the highest position.

My Cars
    Too many...or...NOT
    +1 Anything attached to the seat is a red flag for me to sit in a students car....I don't know of anything tested for safety mounted to the seat. Having tethers mandated by different sanctioning bodies is moreso to keep it from bouncing around and futher giving issue to the driver.

Also - I'm always curious to see nice/safe mountings without rollbars....best I have seen is suction cup RAM Mounts to rear/side windows.

Quote Originally Posted by aeronaut View Post
    Nitin G. Shanbhag
    BMWCCA #101510
    87 951, 88 M3 2.5, 88 E30 S52 Project, 95 M3/2 Slicktop, 96 E36 "TrackBeater", 97 M3/4 Slicktop, 97 TJ, 98 M3/4 Daily, 00 F150 7700
    E36 TrackBeater Project Thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=884145

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by lmtfi View Post

Many chapters will require a secondary retention leash. That leash may need to be metal. Check Tech requirements.
    Anyone tried this with vaders? I need something for autocross. I can't quite picture if it'll fit around the wings.

My Cars
    99 M3
    This is what I use, I'm getting a cage so this is the last time I will use it. I just bought square tube from Home Depot and cut it to fit. I did just have it mounted to the straight bar but found out it wasn't high enough, so I just did a little section of leftover tubing and made an extension. Works well. IMG_1283.jpg

My Cars
    2005 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by cohny View Post
    I want to get something that mounts to the headrest bars but I want to make sure I won't have an issue with inspection at events.

I found this: https://www.amazon.com/Headrest-Tack...st+gopro+mount

Would that mount be acceptable for use in a BMW CCA event etc.?
    I've only run events outside the purview of BMW CCA, but what's wrong with more traditional suction cup mounts? Even restrictive tracks I've run long ago relaxed their anti-suction mount policies.

Might this help?
    https://www.bmwcca.org/news/road-tra...unt-your-gopro

My main issue, independent of those of any kind of passenger, with the headrest mounts, is potential impacts on rearward visibility; but I understand this isn't as much of a concern for others.

My Cars
    2006 Estoril Blue/Cin M3
    Most sponsors are concerned that in a big off - a suction cup (which isn't all that secure) may release - and then the mount and camera become a projectile - and may end up under the pedals.