Bimmerforums Upgrade Garage The Tire Rack

Thread: Steering off center after after changing wheels

My Cars
    1999 BMW 540i

Steering off center after after changing wheels

Steering off center after different wheels-tyres
    Hi all! I wasn't sure where to post this so I will just stick it here..

I have an issue with my 7er, I live in Sweden and 99% of cars come with two sets of wheels, summer wheels and winter wheels (with studded winter tyres-mud snow tyres)

I've been driving my car with the winter wheels on, the car drives perfect.. lovely ride, however now we are allowed to put summer wheels on(tyres) after doing so I immediately noticed my steering is around 5 degrees off center, to the right. The car is not pulling what so ever it goes dead straight but the steering as I said is about 5 degrees to the right. If I center the wheel my car starts slowly going left.

The tyres are id say almost new and the wear is pretty much even from what I can see. Pressures all the same. 50psi. They are also all the same brand (hankook)

The alloys are aftermarket 19" running 245 45 tyres. I did notice that the spigot ring on the front right wheel was slightly smaller than the rest of them, could this be causing the issue? if not im completely baffled as to how this can be.

I also get a little steering vibration around 70mph which gets a little worse when I press on the brake pedal. I am guessing is due to the slightly smaller spigot ring or the wheel needs balancing as I did not have any steering vibration with the winter wheels on.

If anyone can please give me a little heads up on this that would be awesome!

Cheers
    Last edited by oliverd642; 03-30-2017 at 08:24 AM.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    A set of hub-centric rings is relatively inexpensive, buy a complete replacement set.

You can attempt resetting the steering angle, it may not apply to your model, but you can give it a shot, try this:
    with the steering wheel centered, start the car, turn wheel to the left fully and hold for 2 seconds, then turn wheel to the right fully and hold for 2 seconds then turn back to the left fully hold for 2 seconds, then center the wheel..... turn off the car ... wait 15 seconds, start the car...done. May or may not work, can't hurt to try.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKYZZ4 View Post
    A set of hub-centric rings is relatively inexpensive, buy a complete replacement set.

You can attempt resetting the steering angle, it may not apply to your model, but you can give it a shot, try this:
    with the steering wheel centered, start the car, turn wheel to the left fully and hold for 2 seconds, then turn wheel to the right fully and hold for 2 seconds then turn back to the left fully hold for 2 seconds, then center the wheel..... turn off the car ... wait 15 seconds, start the car...done. May or may not work, can't hurt to try.
    Thanks I will try that tonight!

My Cars
    1999 BMW 540i

Hey! tried this now and unfortunately it did not work. steering wheel is still off center. my car is a 2003 e65 745i

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Did a shop transfer your wheels, and maybe attempted steering angle recalibration?

My Cars
    1999 BMW 540i
    Did a shop transfer your wheels, and maybe attempted steering angle recalibration?
    Hi!

No, I changed the wheels myself. I simply jacked up the car and switched the wheels.

Another strange thing ive noticed is that since changing the wheels there seems to be a fair bit of positive camber on both front wheels.. wth??

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    When was the last time an alignment was performed?
    (along with steering angle re-calibration)

My Cars
    1999 BMW 540i
    When was the last time an alignment was performed?
    (along with steering angle re-calibration)
    I dont know when an alignment was last done, ive only had the car 4 months. Everything was fine before changing the wheels so It never crossed my to get the alignment checked. =)

My Cars
    1999 BMW 540i
    UPDATE

Today I had a wheel alignment done and reset the steering angle sensor. The steering is slightly better but still off center. I'm clueless on what can be causing this issue.. =(

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    The only other option I see to solve this mystery is, to swap out the rims to the previously fine running winter set.
    If this test returns steering to normal, then the summer set would be the cause of your trouble.

My Cars
    94, 318i W/M50TUB25
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverd642 View Post
    I dont know when an alignment was last done, ive only had the car 4 months. Everything was fine before changing the wheels so It never crossed my to get the alignment checked. =)
    Changing wheels does not change your alignment but if they have more offset they can shift the weight further out on the axles and cause ride height change especially different size overall wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1999 BMW 540i
    The only other option I see to solve this mystery is, to swap out the rims to the previously fine running winter set.
    If this test returns steering to normal, then the summer set would be the cause of your trouble.
    I shall do that this weekend and see what happens. Thanks for the help

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by snow663 View Post
    Changing wheels does not change your alignment but if they have more offset they can shift the weight further out on the axles and cause ride height change especially different size overall wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hi! offset looks to be slightly different, they sit a little closer to the wheel arches. The front tyres are slimmer than my winter tyres even though they say 245 and the winters say 235..