Thread: E36 M3 Reluctor Wheel Part Number Rear Differential

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive

E36 M3 Reluctor Wheel Part Number Rear Differential

I have been digging around and have not had much luck. I am looking for the part number for the smaller reluctor wheel on the E36 differential for doing the dual ear diff cover swap.
    Any one have a part number?

Real OEM was no help.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    I just mill down the original.

/.randy

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    I just mill down the original.
    not a bad idea. How much needs to be taken off exactly? or did you just guestimate?

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    I ought to write it down, but I guess. I don't do it often, only when I'm swapping a different diff into a car with an RF kit. I've found the pickup to not be fussy.

/.randy

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    I am going to do a RF kit and E36 diff cover with new pickup sensor was going to order the wheel if I could find one. But milling it down shouldn't be too difficult.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M Coupe
    I have one on my bench at home, still in the bag. I can look tonight to see the exact PN. I do recall that the part was $16 from the dealer. Take that into consideration when deciding whether or not it's worth your time to alter the old part. Stay tuned for 24 hours and I'll find the PN.

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilPhil View Post
    I have one on my bench at home, still in the bag. I can look tonight to see the exact PN. I do recall that the part was $16 from the dealer. Take that into consideration when deciding whether or not it's worth your time to alter the old part. Stay tuned for 24 hours and I'll find the PN.
    great! yeah $16 is worth it to me instead of potentially ruining the one I need then being out of luck.

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    Will any E36 rear cover with the dual ears work? For the cover swap? I found one from an E36 318i in good condition.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Most will. But not that one. Must be a 188 diff. 4cyl have 168.

/.randy

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    did you have a chance to find that part number? I'm not in a big hurry, just bored at work today.

Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    Most will. But not that one. Must be a 188 diff. 4cyl have 168.
    ahh got it. I see the difference now in them. I may hold out for a 6 cylinder E36 to show up at my local pull a part. I can get a whole diff for less than just the cover on ebay!

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M Coupe
    Yesterday was a long day, and I fell into bed as soon as I walked in the door. BUT I found where I originally got the part number for the reluctor wheel. Randy has a few posts scattered throughout the Ultranet about it. Long story short, I think it's 33 13 1 210 755.

Here's a link to Randy's pic of the bag.
    http://spcarsplus.com/gallery3/index...Wheel/IMG_6395

Here is the parent page with photos showing the difference between the two, etc.
    http://spcarsplus.com/gallery3/index...-Impulse-Wheel

Here's a link to Randy talking all about the issue with the different reluctor wheel sizes.
    http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16665

Good now?

p

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    Yesterday was a long day, and I fell into bed as soon as I walked in the door. BUT I found where I originally got the part number for the reluctor wheel. Randy has a few posts scattered throughout the Ultranet about it. Long story short, I think it's 33 13 1 210 755.

Here's a link to Randy's pic of the bag.
    http://spcarsplus.com/gallery3/index...Wheel/IMG_6395

Here is the parent page with photos showing the difference between the two, etc.
    http://spcarsplus.com/gallery3/index...-Impulse-Wheel

Here's a link to Randy talking all about the issue with the different reluctor wheel sizes.
    http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16665

Good now?

p

You're the man! Thanks for the info!

- - - Updated - - -

ECS tuning carries it. Says it takes 5 days to ship once ordered. Not too bad.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M Coupe
    Weirdly, when I called my local dealer's parts counter and mentioned an E36 rear differential reluctor wheel, they said there was no listing in the system. But then when I read them the part number that Randy gave me, it popped up and the guy said "Oh! There it is! Want us to order one for you?" Bizarre.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by Venom13132 View Post
    did you have a chance to find that part number? I'm not in a big hurry, just bored at work today.

ahh got it. I see the difference now in them. I may hold out for a 6 cylinder E36 to show up at my local pull a part. I can get a whole diff for less than just the cover on ebay!
    If you ordered the kit from me, and not a counterfeiter, then the smaller wheel would be in the box (the exception being if the car is a Z3, which doesn't need to be swapped, as it is already has the smaller diameter wheel).

Weirdly, when I called my local dealer's parts counter and mentioned an E36 rear differential reluctor wheel, they said there was no listing in the system. But then when I read them the part number that Randy gave me, it popped up and the guy said "Oh! There it is! Want us to order one for you?" Bizarre.
    It's in the system because of the quantity and frequency of my orders. They used to take two (2) weeks to come from Germany, and now they're stocked in New Jersey.

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    Thanks Randy. I haven't ordered anything yet. I have a friend that builds and races trophy trucks that may do the work for me. I have to meet with him and see if he wants me to order your kit or if he can make the parts himself. He has a water jet and a bunch of equipment for manufacturing things like this.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M Coupe
    Hah! That's terrific that one guy has been able to make BMW stock parts for him.