Thread: Z3 Emerging from Hibernation

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 2.3

Z3 Emerging from Hibernation

I've been working on my Z all winter to get her in shape for the summer. Just thought I'd share a few pics after I got her out for a night on the town this past Saturday. I'll get some more extensive shots in the coming weeks.

Goodies added so far:
    17" wheels with 225 rubber
    H&R OEM Sport springs
    e36 strut bar
    K&N Apollo intake
    Straight pipe from resonator back
    New shift knob as OEM was loose
    primed and painted engine cover
    rock guards
    plasti-dipped fender "gills"
    mud flaps
    new badges
    EU Germany front plate
    new stereo head unit as OEM unit was malfunctioning
    shorty antenna
    new 5.25" up front and upsized 4" speakers behind the seats
    10" RF Subwoofer

Next on the list is a quality black top. The rear seal on the OEM window is on its last leg. Only 68k miles on this car.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by zielritter View Post
    ... Next on the list is a quality black top. The rear seal on the OEM window is on its last leg...
    You probably know, but unless there is a problem with the top, or you just want to change the color, the black trim is part of the zipped-in window. It is a trim channel that receives the edge of the canvas top, rather than a seal. The seal in the OE-type window is double sided tape between the canvas and the plastic.
    When the trim starts coming loose, and if the canvas has not been messed with glue, it looks better to remove the trim entirely. I ran like that for a few months.
    For replacing the top, who would you use in your area?
    Last edited by Vintage42; 03-28-2017 at 06:50 AM.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    1999 M Roadster
    Very nice car.

My Cars
    02 MC, 01 MR, 99 Z3C
    Very nice. Some engine bay shots to show off your work there too?
    Kelvin

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 2.3
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintage42 View Post
    You probably know, but unless there is a problem with the top, or you just want to change the color, the black trim is part of the zipped-in window. It is a trim channel that receives the edge of the canvas top, rather than a seal. The seal in the OE-type window is double sided tape between the canvas and the plastic.
    When the trim starts coming loose, and if the canvas has not been messed with glue, it looks better to remove the trim entirely. I ran like that for a few months.
    For replacing the top, who would you use in your area?
    Unfortunately my grandfather, from whom I inherited this vehicle when he had to move into a smaller house, did use glue on the canvas. The rest of the canvas is stained and dirty in places anyway despite my best efforts to clean. I think a high quality black canvas will improve the aesthetics greatly.

I'm really not sure yet who I would use for installing the top. I would purchase from Amazon. I noticed you're in Louisville. Any recommendations for a quality installer?

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 2.3
    Quote Originally Posted by KBH22102 View Post
    Very nice. Some engine bay shots to show off your work there too?
    Yes for sure. It's been raining that past few days and I keep her under a cover after taking out of storage.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Unfortunately my grandfather, from whom I inherited this vehicle when he had to move into a smaller house, did use glue on the canvas. The rest of the canvas is stained and dirty in places anyway despite my best efforts to clean. I think a high quality black canvas will improve the aesthetics greatly.
    I'm really not sure yet who I would use for installing the top. I would purchase from Amazon. I noticed you're in Louisville. Any recommendations for a quality installer?
    I just lost a half hour reply with a lot of advice. Too lazy to recreate. Will send you a PM.

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 2.3
    20170402_153637_resized.jpg 20170402_153650_resized.jpg 20170402_153702_resized.jpg

I had a fuse blow for one of my parking lights. Snapped a few shots under hood while I was changing it. The strut tower bar is for an E36. I had to use a dremel and a dead blow hammer to modify it slightly for hood clearance. The engine cover it painted with plasti dip in case I change my mind. The cover was scratched and gouged to pieces somehow and completely looked awful.

If you're curious, the background wheel in the third picture belongs to my 2012 Hyundai Genesis 4.6l V8 sedan. I'm running a Magnaflow exhaust and 245 profile tires on 19's.
    Last edited by zielritter; 04-03-2017 at 09:14 AM.

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe individual

Have you tried rubbing with d-limonene solution for glue?

Z3 & E36 RamAir systems, send private message for more information.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    ... for installing the top. I would purchase from Amazon. I noticed you're in Louisville. Any recommendations for a quality installer?
    No response to the PM, so long answer short:
    I would use an installer who had done sealing ring tops before (Miata, Z3) and discuss what top he recommended and whether he would like to provide it. I think most quality shops would prefer to work that way. I would want a top from Robbins, GAHH, Auto Tops Direct or German Auto Tops.
    Robbins and ATD and maybe others provide updated features like relief pockets in the quarter panels, a stiffener inside above the window, and elastic straps above window to support the tension straps. Replacement tops have sewn-in windows, unlike the replaceable zipped-in window of the OE top.
    http://www.robbinsautotopco.com/bmw.php
    http://www.autotopsdirect.com/1996-2...04-e37-005.htm

The only shop I could find in Louisville, Pearson & Marzian, did a good job with their GAHH top, but their labor was high. I later found a BMW indy in Jeffersonville, Mike Johns Imports, could also do it. In your Cincinnati area, I would ask Enthusiast Auto Group who they use.

If your top is in good condition except for the window trim and glue around it, you could consider just replacing the window, which zips in. If the exposed glue is a problem around the OE-type window's trim, the Emiata window is trimmed and sealed with a perimeter canvas edge that glues down over the canvas top. It is also only $100 vs the OE $300.
    http://www.emiata.com/Z3Window.asp

My Cars
    1997 BMZ Z3 1.9 Boston
    Nice!